GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

changed the gearbox oil when i first had the car as you do as its been 12 months thought ide change it again so put some of this Redline stuff in to it um

box was perfect before, now with this stuff in it 1st and 2nd only are very stuff to select anyone else had this problem not had any chance to see if it gets better as it gets warm (it sld do) just seems strange

Stu

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
true stu, most lads use the middle grade, but a few have used the heavy but only in the rwd cars.. seem to remember pete ( aha ) saying it was difficult to select when cold...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers mate

so is it going to do any damage or will it be ok untill the next oil change
anyone

Stu

Ps o sorry think i mite have put this in the wrong section :eek:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The heavyweight oil is not great when cold, i have known people to leave their cars running outside their houses until warm before setting off due to teh heavyweight oil. The Blue lightweight oil is IMPO much better suited to the std box and doesnt need heating up before you can select first/reverse gear :D

Rob

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
It's get better when warm. I would suggest the heavy if you are having crunching issues (as I was having) as it did fix mine or if tuned a fair bit (400bhp+). You have to let the oil warm through for a few minutes especially in the winter.

The Light is ok I suppose if no problems or heavy use and no big power increases but according to the Redline guys (who I called - me being nosey as ever) the oils where originally sold to kart racers (super light) and Formula Ford type race cars and therefore the heavy is more suited to vehicles running over 400bhp or so and the Light may be too light and meant more for racing cars with 100 to 250 bhp etc than GT-R's big bhp although if not caning the transmission and with no big bhp increase than Light would do but they did seem to suggest Heavy. I know from past searches that the 3000GT owners also had a document recommending Heavy and saying to avoid the Light one as the Heavy had a very high level of high temperature protection that the Light didn't.

From Redline brochure
Improved durability in high-performance use is
the primary benefit of the Heavy ShockProof™ and
along with the improved durability is an improvement in
efficiency, but if further improvements in efficiency are
desired, and durability is not a major concern,
LightWeight and SuperLight ShockProof™ can be
used.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well as other ppls have noted that its hard to select when cold thats fine with me ill take it out over the weekend for a nice hard run :smokin:

Cheers

All

Stu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts