GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i am using this oil in my r33 gtr 5 speed gearbox is it a good thing or bad thing :nervous:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
It helps mask the issues with worn synchros - as long as you then treat the 'box nicely I can't see it being a bad thing; run it in mine fwiw

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Im running the heavy weight in my OSG 5 speed. Doesnt like slotting into 2nd when cold but is nice when the temps rise.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Redline heavy shockproof - it's magic elixir for the transmission. It really helps out the syncros. I don't call it "masking a problem" because my gearbox no longer grinds in any gear, whereas I got grinding shifting into 4th.

I am rather gentle with my shifts, and hence expect to see a fair bit more use out of my transmission - soft, long shifts (500ms or more) and Redline Heavy.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I only said masking because it fixes nothing; it may be possible to ignore the problem but it's still there, so gentle gearchanges are a must!

·
Registered
411 Posts
has anyone tried MTL yet. i tried pretty much the entire redline line on my m3's 5spd getrag and MTL had the best feel by a huge margin. it wasnt as thick as shockproof but it was thick enough to make the hand pump i used to intall it struggle. (check for compatibility first). the gearbox even lived thru a complete drain on the street... i heard a violent grind and to my surprise there wasnt a single drop when i opened up the drain plug. refilled it and it was fine

·
Registered
998 Posts
i`ll be using this next week in mine as i crunch from 4th to 5th at high revs..... ive only been told good things about it so it gets my vote!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I have heard that the redline heavy shock tran oil is so thick that it blows the seal...
I am not sure about that info... can anyone confirm?

I do know that it require the tran oil to "warm up" to work properly... which makes me wonder how do you do that at the drag strip. Any tricks from the pros?

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
We use this oil in the HKS air shifter supplied by OPIE OILS.

We found that once the car was up to the start line after doing the burn out the temperatures were fine.

We have a sensor plumbed in for the box.

Mick.

·
Registered
84 Posts
wouldn't go near the stuff - I put it in a 70k box to mask a 4 to 5 crunch and 20 miles later it had ripped apart the syncros on 3 and 4. The box would have been fine for ages if I'd have left it - £70 in oil to give myself a £700 bill. Definitely just put the right oil in it...

·
Registered
440 Posts
I use it in my HKS 6spd dogbox, i think its excellent stuff :) gearbox feels smoother and operates alot better than the old oil that was in there. I wouldn't worry about the thickness of it as once the box is up to temp its thinned right out. Wouldn't use anything else unless advised by my tuner :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Ive been using it for the past 4 years and never had any seals blow out.

Tony

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
wouldn't go near the stuff - I put it in a 70k box to mask a 4 to 5 crunch and 20 miles later it had ripped apart the syncros on 3 and 4. The box would have been fine for ages if I'd have left it - £70 in oil to give myself a £700 bill. Definitely just put the right oil in it...
You say it would of been fine for ages how on earth do you know this?.

Why in gods name did you change the oil in the box if it was fine for ages?

Mick.

·
Registered
84 Posts
? like I said I wanted to get rid of a 4/5 syncro crunch and everyone recommends this gloop. They shouldn't. 1 journey latter and I had a trash box. Also taught me not to listen to a lot of advice on forums...

·
Registered
84 Posts
i just went to work in it as I wanted to see if the 4/5 crunch had gone. It had gone, but by the time I reached Bristol (from weston via the m5 in the rush hour) I had no syncro on 3 or 4...

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was the same as a few of you read about this oil a couple of years ago and as my 3rd to 4th would always crunch got some put in at my next service, but after around 6 months it was back to crunching, my GTR32 is now having an engine rebuild so I'v had the gearbox rebuilt aswell, my mechanic has said that the oil in the gearbox is to thick so doesn't get sprayed onto everything so in the end the problem gets worse

1 - 20 of 20 Posts