GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really too bothered about this one way or another, but I have bought a brand new R33GTR shell out of Japan, what would be required to (legally.... :)) register the vehicle in the UK given it has no chassis plate?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
If you haven't got a certificate or receipt confirming date of manufacture then it will be registered on a 'Q plate', instead of an age related plate. With 'Q' plates you have a lot of stigma. Such as, stolen/recoverd, ringer, damage repairable, and a few other things. You could buy a 'damage not recorded' shell off somebody and use the VIN details and logbook. That is technically ringing, but as you haven't stolen anything, it won't make you a car thief. It's still illegal to do, but nobody would know.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Think you have to have a certain proportion of all new parts with receipts to prove, then you can register as brand new.DVLA will make up a vin number for you.

I dunno about other implications such as SVA/IVA road tax rate etc.

Of course all my info could well be out of date. A call to DVLA should help you out

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not bothered about registering it as new, it's a race car, but it could *just* scrape through an MOT I guess, it might be handy to be able to use it on the road occasionally, such as the 20 miles to Oulton Park from here, on a nice sunny track day :) Would like as little contact with DVLA officialdom as possible, bureaucracy and myself are poor bedfellows :)

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
cough borrow someones license plate with the same colour car and dont crash it or get caught speeding ;)

erm i mean looks like too much hassle to be worth it. haha

A new shell couldnt have been cheap from nissan! damn i hate you so much :bowdown1:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cough borrow someones license plate with the same colour car and dont crash it or get caught speeding ;)

erm i mean looks like too much hassle to be worth it. haha

A new shell couldnt have been cheap from nissan! damn i hate you so much :bowdown1:
Private purchase, still not really cheap though. AFAIK Nissan have not sold new Skyline shells
for years, if at all. I am not sure if I could bear the hassle of the DVLA system, and explaining I am re shelling to a shell with no ID. I am pretty sure it can be done, but at what cost to ones sanity?

New Cossie Sierra motorsport shells averaged 500 to 900 quid in Motoring News a few years back, maybe £2K with a proper weld in cage and interior painted, the other month a pal was ecstatic to buy one of these, with a cage, plus the shipping from Italy:

ford sierra cosworth rs500 rs 500 3 door new body shell on eBay (end time 13-Jan-10 12:11:36 GMT)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Would like as little contact with DVLA officialdom as possible, bureaucracy and myself are poor bedfellows :)
Somebody in a similar position could find a smashed up one and transfer the identity to a new shell, or ask DaveW/GTR Shop if he has a shell with the identity intact, then rebuild the new shell, apply for the logbook, then MOT it. Job done.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
id seen those cossie shells, a friend was looking at them!

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
AFAIK it is 100% legal to reshell a car with a brand new unused shell. As its just one more replacement part.

Problem would be proving its totally new if the police ever decided to kick up a fuss

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
AFAIK it is 100% legal to reshell a car with a brand new unused shell. As its just one more replacement part.
Yes it is legal, but new shells don't have VIN plates. Plod would confiscate the car until the OP could prove he bought it legal, then they'd ask for proof that he came into ownership of all the parts that went on to it. You know what arseholes some coppers can be. It's much easier to use a shell that already has a VIN and logbook,and transfer them. Less grief.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Somebody in a similar position could find a smashed up one and transfer the identity to a new shell, or ask DaveW/GTR Shop if he has a shell with the identity intact, then rebuild the new shell, apply for the logbook, then MOT it. Job done.
I had grief recently registering just a french m/cycle, the statement above is what I'd do, there's too many jobsworths about in DVLA trying justify wages they don't deserve.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
If you try it the kit-car route expect grief with officialdom. There's the SVA for a start, then without proof of manufacturing date, it will end up on a 'Q' plate, as previously mentioned.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts