GTR Forum banner

Reimax Turbos

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  somberg 
#1 ·
After what seems an enternity , I have finally had my new Reimax Turbos fitted and I know some of you fellow car enthusiast would like to know some more about them .

THEY ARE AWESOME .

In comparison to the HKS 25/10's that were on there , they seem to boost up much quicker once spooled up . In fact at 3,900 rpm I am on nearly full boosts (1.3 bar ) and it just goes and goes ! The sound they make as they spool up has also to be heard to be believed . It gives a new meaning to 'Whoosh and Go' ! (Sorry Ian !) .

Gary 'the Skyline King' :)D) from GT-Art has managed to get over 20 bhp extra , just from changing them over , with no other significant mods , which are in the pipeline . Well done Gary ,once again !

They are larger in nearly every respect than HKS 25/30's apart from the exhaust wheel , which is smaller . This will allow them to spool up quicker and hold the boost better and I can certainly vouch for that .

From memory they are both capable of flowing well over 600 bhp ,which is more than than ample for most of us on the forum.:D

See less See more
#2 ·
Mini Meet

Paul,

Still trying to flogg me the last set?
That boost curve is nearly straight!

Enjoyed our short sprint! Missed 3rd and that was why you JUST pulled ahead otherwise.... :D

Anyway, just to let you know those pics I took that evening didn't turn out good enough to post! Still, next time you pass by.....

Vincent

#3 ·
Missed third

Yeah you are right Vince. The fact of the matter is that they are both seriously fast cars ,with not much in it ,but yours is faster than mine !:D :p

At the end of the day we enjoy our cars and that's what it's all about ,and that evening I'm sure both of us had fun in South London ,and thanks for showing me the way ............:D

As to floging you the last set well I liked 'em so much I bought those as well................

#4 ·
Paul
Won't be faster for long when you have your mods done!

When you next down? You reckon anyone else would be interested for a mini meet? Not just for GTR's but other Jap cars likt we had the other night with Scott's cousin's GT4 and your nephew's GT-R ?

Scott
That was Damon with us on that night. Small world! Think he's trying to get you to come down sometime.

Vincent

#7 ·
Damon

Vincent,
Yes Damon is me cousin. We were only talking about you friday night as he didn't know what you called yourself on the register.
Damon was very impressed with your cars when you and Paul took him for a spin. I think he nearly questioned buying the GT4!!
Anyway, damon said about possible mini meets. I will try to get him to register, as he currently just looks in, and maybe then we could hook up.:D :D

#9 ·
are the Reimax turbos reliable at 1.6 bar and beyond? The HKS turbos work best at 1.6 bar plus, which is what they were built for, hks are basically way better quality garret turbos, garret is hks's supplier of turbos and hks re-engineers them etc, im sure u all heard this story b4. Even the 25 series hks turbos can handle 1.6 bar with ease

#11 ·
reimax turbos

These turbos will do any thing HKS, TRUST,OR gReedy turbos will do if not better especially RESPONSE and SHUFFLE issues, they are PROVEN to run in 24 hr race at 1.6 bar and used again and again so no worries as far as their reliability, they are also a GARRETT hy-brid
Gary
GT-ART

#12 ·
Gary

Hate to spoil your party in case you're referring to the 24H race on the Nurburgring in 2002 by the Falken team. My (reliable) sources say that they ran @ 1.0 bar, which is enough for 500-ish PS (own experience) which in turn is a safe value to plod around the Ring for 24 hours. More than that increases the wear of the engine and therefore the chance of failure. It also increases fuel consumption, which already is a big issue of the Skyline even @ 1.0 bar when compared to Porkers and Bimmers.
Also, I have no information that they used roller bearing turbo's. I'll try to get that information because the roller bearing yes/no issue for long-distance racing applications interest me. Everyone seems to have his own ideas about this; what I need to see is solid proof that roller bearing turbo's will be ok after 24H. I know standard N1 turbo's when assembled with care will do the job.

Gary, in case you think I'm wrong or in case you have other information, please let me know.

Andre.

#13 ·
24 HOUR

Andre,
no party to spoil, I was not refering to the recent 24 hr race at the nurburgring,I was refering to information given to me as to the use of these turbos from a Japanese sorce and I suppose I should have correctly put that they are used to 1.6 bar but stated that this was not prolonged for the full 24hrs, I do not know what 24hr race my sorce was talking about I assumed it was in Japan but 1 bar was never mentioned but 1.4 bar was, to complete the whole race.
The REIMAX turbos fitted to cars in this country have to date to my knowlege not failed and thus far these cars capabilities ie clutches etc have not been up to the job of exhuasting the power that these turbos can deliver, I have run 1.6 bar with these turbos and there is still more boost they can produce but until development of the projects catch up to match there potential I cant offer any more info,
I was actually thinking of putting a pair on my car but as my HKS28\35 roller bearing turbos are still going strong after 3 and a half years of total abuse I will leave it alown,
does 3 and a half years count for your research with 24 hrs roller verses plain
:D
One thing to think about roller bearing turbos evolved from plain bearing turbos as far as I know and that desision cant of been based on cost of production, but many a le man 24hr race has been won on plain brg turbos also
Gary
GT-ART

#14 ·
Gary

Thanks for the info. I'll check re. the 1.4 bar, sounds a bit steep for 24 hrs especially also because of heat build-up in the engine over time.
There's only one ultimate way to prove that any turbo will last for 24h under race conditions and that's in a 24h race I'm afraid. Why don't you give me a pair and I'll test 'em :D

Andre.

#15 ·
only if

Only if when you have done 24hrs you pay double the price:D
but seriously, i would think turbo reliability would be one of your least worries for a full 24 hr stint, thats like 5 years motoring in 24 hrs sounds very interesting if thats what you are planning to do, please keep me informed, REIMAX TURBOS could do with a proper airing, as you might know I prefer to do actual testing and development of parts on test cars rather than customers cars this ensures that you know the limit of those parts before you EXCEED it, so it keeps RELIABILITY up to maximum,
I see your running motec , why the change from apexi ?
Gary
GT-ART

#16 ·
Gary

APEXi to Motec because it's an integrated system (data logging + engine ECU) without extra sensors for either. I can now use one program to view all car data and relate it. Also, I can log data as long as I like.

24 hrs is most definitely NOT equal to 5 years motoring. Turbo reliability is only one aspect of the whole thing; bottom line if it fails you're stuck.

Andre.

PS double the price: 2 times zero is still zero:D

#17 ·
kinda stupid question.... can the reimax turbo be fitted to a M52? does it take any special mods other than adding up intercoolers. i'm not good with engines.....

#19 ·
m52 is the code for the "old" 1998 2.8L straight six with Vanos. M54 is the latest version which can be seen on the current BMW (after 2001) straight 6 engine.

#20 ·
OK I see.
Re. engine: why don't you put in an M3 block; chances are big that it will bolt straight in. Changing a BMW engine into something decent (with at least one turbo that is ;) ) is a big project that involves quite a bit more than just bolting on parts...

#21 ·
that cost $$$ bro. i aint got the cash to do it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.