GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a new Titanium Exhaust from a new company call Reinhard. While it was love at first sight, I was unable to use it because my car will now be pushing around 600+ bhp, and the only avaliable bore size is 76mm (3 inch).

Therefore I have sold it, and I took some photo and video clips of the car after the system was installed to show you guys. The quality and weilding is top notch and it only weight 5.2 kg. It is a weird feeling when you are holding a giant metal pipe that only weight 1.8 kg. :bowdown1:

The midpipe weight 1.8 kg
The rear section with the box is 3.4 kg
The stainless steel exhaust bung (you don't want to use it) weight 1 kg.
This is using the digital bathroom scale on the floor so it might be off a bit. But when I get on, it always say I am heavier than what I really am... :chairshot

Here is some photo of the exhaust when it arrived from Japan.

This is how the exhaust look when you compare it to the HKS Legal Exhaust system.

As you can see, quality! Weilding on both the inside and the outside of the flange. The inside has also been smooth after.

This is what the exhaust looks like after we put it on the car.

I have got some sound clip of how the car sound compared to the HKS Legal System. I will try to get them uploaded tomorrow to show you guys. It really really sound good. Now I am asking them to somehow make an exhaust that will be good for over 600 bhp, I will see what Reinhard can come up with.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
The flanges in the centre look a bit flimsy, other than that it's a classsy system.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Very nice bit of kit...

How much did the HKS system weigh?

How much did the STOCK system weight while we're at it?? :)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jza80: Yep, but it really isn't too loud. I'll try to get the video clip up tomorrow. But then the owner is using a standard GTR with standard front pipe, only a decat. You can actually hear the car poping trying to get the air out of the front pipe.

JasonO: What do you mean by flimsy? As in it look thin? I had that same thought, but then it is made of titanium, so I guess maybe it can get away with it. Would it be any downside to having a thin flange?

Sidious: I forgot what the HKS system weight in kg, but i remember when we did it in pounds it was spot on at 40 lbs. Stock system will have to weight more for sure.

I'll try to get some video up tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Nocturnal said:
JasonO: What do you mean by flimsy? As in it look thin? I had that same thought, but then it is made of titanium, so I guess maybe it can get away with it. Would it be any downside to having a thin flange?
Considering how difficult it can be to get these to seal when they have a proper meaty flange on them, I reckon it'll be a pig trying to get it to bite into the gasket.

Nocturnal said:
Sidious: I forgot what the HKS system weight in kg, but i remember when we did it in pounds it was spot on at 40 lbs. Stock system will have to weight more for sure.
That'll be 18 Kg then.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
So the custom system weighs 5.2 kilos, the HKS system weighs 18 kilos, the standard system weighs even more... so you get more bling, more quality and power and have good weight saving there, best of all worlds. lol

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Sidious, that's an HKS Mildsteel legal system.

I'm not sure what weight is in my Hks Ti Drag system but I do recall the box it arrived in, had a shipping weight of 10Kg marked on the side.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, that sounds about right Jason. The Pipe of the HKS Drag system is stainless steel, but the muffler is Titanium. Therefore it should be a couple more Kg than a full titanium system. I ask the guys who install it, he said he just tighten up the flange and there is no leak after. Would the flange be flat and strong even though it is so thin because it is made of titanium? He said there was no flex at all went bolting it up.

Anyways, I got the sound clip now. I still need to find the one of the standard HKS System.

Just bolted in and tested. Still need to run in, but this is how it sound now. As I have no webspace to host the file, I had to ask my mate to host it for me. :rolleyes:

http://www.d2racingsport.co.uk/ASF_0083.ASF

This is how the car sound when it was pulling out of the petrol station. Disregarding the last second of it as it started to pour as soon as the car left, and my camera is slow to stop.

http://www.d2racingsport.co.uk/ASF_0094.ASF

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
646 Posts
Extremely nice Exhaust system, you have good taste. I do like fine craftmanship in the custom Japanese stuff. Shame about the restriction, and the fact they can't manufacturer >75mm pipework.

PS. The end of the 2nd video made me laugh.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LAURENCE said:
Extremely nice Exhaust system, you have good taste. I do like fine craftmanship in the custom Japanese stuff. Shame about the restriction, and the fact they can't manufacturer >75mm pipework.

PS. The end of the 2nd video made me laugh.
I know, it looks/sounds like I just got ran over by a car... But I can't find a way to edit it out...so I will just make your day. :popcorn:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nocturnal

make your own system if you can, Ive used 1mm thick stainless (its drainage pipe from house construction, cost me 90 Gbp 2 meter straight and 4 pcs 45' bends)

See the work and exhaust at www.kismo.dk , under "news" there is a link.

The 1mm piping is hard to weld perfect because its so thin but it weighs nothing and combined with my HKS titanium rear muffler its aprx 6.5-7 kg complete with hangers.

Ohh and thats a 110 mm piping :)

Kismo out

·
Registered
319 Posts
We had R32Combat with his BQ copper radiator pipes and soldering, and now we have drain pipes used for exhausts!! lol

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To be honest, power is one of the reason for the exhaust... Weight is one of the reason for Titanium. But the biggest reason for Titanium for me is the noise it makes.

Because Titanium is a harder material then stainless steel, sound wave bouncing off it will bounce off faster than if the exhaust is made of stainless steel. This give a better "treble" quality to the sound if you would say.

The sound is very noticeable when compared to a stainless steel system...and that is probably the biggest reason I want Titanium. You can probably hear the difference in the video clip. And I can only imagine it sounding better after the Muffler run in.

But it does make me wonder does full titanium system sound different than semi-titanium system (stainless steel piping with titanium muffler).

Also, how strong is the 1mm stainless steel piping? I am just wondering how well will it stand up to the weather, rocks, etc...

But the Drain Pipe idea is good none the less. :clap:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts