GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard about this somewhere and thought it would be a good idea for me, just wondering how I go about getting it installed on my phone? Also can you only start it in close proximity? Thank

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
So you can start the car from inside the house using your phone?

even when the car is locked and the key phob is no where near the car?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Why would you need this? Starting the car and leaving it to warm up etc is actually bad for the engine....you really want to just get it in start it and drive to get the oil moving around the engine at a reasonable pressure.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Why would you need this? Starting the car and leaving it to warm up etc is actually bad for the engine....you really want to just get it in start it and drive to get the oil moving around the engine at a reasonable pressure.
Hi Steve hope ur well mate!

I always let my car run 5 mins before driving and have been thinking I'm doing a good thing :(. I have always done this to all my performance cars , let them warm up before driving and also do the same on my quad. Why would you say its bad?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought warming a car up was a good thing before driving it? I didn't realise it was better to drive straight away, wish i would have known this before, would have saved me a lot of time! Lol

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
In time gone by, you alway drove off as soon as you started to stop bore wash with all that petrol getting thrown in,
I think things have changed, don't think it harms it now days,
Don't mind being told I'm wrong if someone knows better.
Goldie

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Better to get everything up to temperature as soon as possible by gentle driving as soon as it's started, letting it tick over for ages is a bad idea IMO.
Yep....absolutely.....I start mine and go....car is driven gently until all of the temps have hit their operating norms....then it's play time:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,517 Posts

I always let my car run 5 mins before driving and have been thinking I'm doing a good thing :(. I have always done this to all my performance cars , let them warm up before driving and also do the same on my quad. Why would you say its bad?
Hi mate....yes good thanks....you? Need to sort out that cleaning session when the weather gets better!

Most engine wear occurs when the engines cold....really just want to get the oil moving around engine as quickly as possibly without using any real revs etc until the car has hit norm temp levels...reduces wear and friction on components that might only have very thin oil coatings at first start up. I do literally start the car and go. Straight into manual also just to let the revs run fractionally higher than the auto mode will change up at to get the gearbox temps up a bit quicker also.

·
Registered
747 Posts

Kabz, I would not worry about it too much.. Some people say you should let your car warm up, others say should drive straight away. I think the question to ask is what issues do we know which are related to letting your car idle for some time before driving?

Been doing this for a while without any issues. Will let you know when I have to replace loads of parts in my car due to excessive wear ;)

I use the iphone remote start app to start my car and warm it up before I get in. I like being able to:
1. Sit in my car and have it nice and warm inside with defrosted windows!
2. Be able to use the full power quickly.

Few issues:
1. Doesn't work properly with CC's autofold module. So I have to manually open the wing mirrors when I get in. Bit of a pain but rather do that than be cold. Might be able to get this sorted if Anthony (secure my car) puts some effort it.
2. If you use the remote start and do not unlock the car, the only way to get into the car once started is use the phone. Even if you have the keyfob with you and approach the door to unlock, you cannot unlock it. I was demo'ing the app to some of the shopfloor lads and locked myself out as even though I had 3g signal, it was not sending the siganl... a little embarassing. So you have to remember to unlock, remote start to be 100% you can get access otherwise you need to start getting into the car the manual way (unscrew bold underneath door handle and then use the physical key to unlock).
3. Sometimes when you open the door to get in, the car will cut out even though you have the fob with you. Doesn't quite make sense why, but it's not really an issue, just a slight niggle.

Otherwise pretty cool. Can start your car from anywhere as long as you AND the car have 3g reception. (You have to pay yearly subscription for the car). If you install the complete kit, it will also include tracker/ full security option. I have the tracking function on my phone too even though I already have a tracker.

I am looking forward to Adamantium/Brian's project on using the keyfob as remote start. That would be pretty cool.

Thx, Buzz

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that info guys, mixed opinions, I'm sure Steve and Jamie are right in what they say but I've always warmed all my previous cars up allittle with no issues only for 5-10 minutes mind, nice to have a warm cockpit to...

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Kabz, I would not worry about it too much.. Some people say you should let your car warm up, others say should drive straight away. I think the question to ask is what issues do we know which are related to letting your car idle for some time before driving?

Been doing this for a while without any issues. Will let you know when I have to replace loads of parts in my car due to excessive wear ;)

I use the iphone remote start app to start my car and warm it up before I get in. I like being able to:
1. Sit in my car and have it nice and warm inside with defrosted windows!
2. Be able to use the full power quickly.

Few issues:
1. Doesn't work properly with CC's autofold module. So I have to manually open the wing mirrors when I get in. Bit of a pain but rather do that than be cold. Might be able to get this sorted if Anthony (secure my car) puts some effort it.
2. If you use the remote start and do not unlock the car, the only way to get into the car once started is use the phone. Even if you have the keyfob with you and approach the door to unlock, you cannot unlock it. I was demo'ing the app to some of the shopfloor lads and locked myself out as even though I had 3g signal, it was not sending the siganl... a little embarassing. So you have to remember to unlock, remote start to be 100% you can get access otherwise you need to start getting into the car the manual way (unscrew bold underneath door handle and then use the physical key to unlock).
3. Sometimes when you open the door to get in, the car will cut out even though you have the fob with you. Doesn't quite make sense why, but it's not really an issue, just a slight niggle.

Otherwise pretty cool. Can start your car from anywhere as long as you AND the car have 3g reception. (You have to pay yearly subscription for the car). If you install the complete kit, it will also include tracker/ full security option. I have the tracking function on my phone too even though I already have a tracker.

I am looking forward to Adamantium/Brian's project on using the keyfob as remote start. That would be pretty cool.

Thx, Buzz
Sounds like a bit of a ffaff but then again my car is garaged and I have No 3G where I live, I struggle for 2G... I can see the value of being able to defrost the car before you get in if its parked outside so that would save you time and hassle.

I would be a bit worried about unlocking and starting the car in a street, I assume the car can be driven once started.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
From my understanding, if a pedal is touched the engine will cut out.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
That's correct Johnny.

You can't engage drive as you need to press the brake and if you do the engine dies immediately.

I had remote start via a Clifford alarm, but got annoyed with having two fobs so I ditched the alarm and just run the iPhone remote start. It also acts as a second tracker and gives you some great features such as a email alerts if anything is amiss, including fault codes (doesn't tell you which they are currently which doesn't help much).

You can also set up a speed limit alert so you know if during a service someone takes it for a joy ride.

Currently Brian and I are working on a three lock press remote start for the European cars. There's already a plug in module for the US cars but we've found the European cars to be different so need to do some trickery.

if you look on my modification thread, I documented a lot of the progress and process.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts