GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i am building a r32 for 90% drag and 10% street but i want to free up more space in the engine bay.

so far i have this done.
All a/c gone
no power steering
all hicas lines and such are removed on the intake side
Removed ABS

Now i was wondering if anyone has removed the brake booster and go to some other master cylinder that would not require the huge mass of black pot steel.

The next thing i had on my agenda was if anyone has changed from the stock vaccum boosted clutch master cylinder to something like the fairlady z one?

and the last thing i wanted to get rid of was the vaccum chamber on the drivers side. What does it do and can it be removed?

I would like to get it down to around this without the bling.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/brewpubeaver/HIN Seattle 2k6/DSC_0308.jpg

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it has been gone for a year already and i have driven much worse cars with no ps.

The rack is filled with fluid and the line is looped

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I removed all the idle speed control stuff under the plenum, that makes quite a difference..

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you maintain the stock plenum and itb's?

if so i would like to pick your brain a little more via pm

·
Registered
70 Posts
I removed all the idle speed control stuff under the plenum, that makes quite a difference..
I would like some information on this as well, that would make a huge difference.

As for me front and rear HICAS solenoids gone, A/C gone, Hicas Cooler gone, Hicas fill canister moved, and the Evaporative gas canister is moved. Those things give up a lot of room espedcially the Solenoids.

I still have power steering pump and Hicas and plan on keeping them, next move is to move battery to trunk and depending on what R32 combat can share about the stuff under the plenum.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Well i am building a r32 for 90% drag and 10% street but i want to free up more space in the engine bay.

Now i was wondering if anyone has removed the brake booster and go to some other master cylinder that would not require the huge mass of black pot steel.

The next thing i had on my agenda was if anyone has changed from the stock vaccum boosted clutch master cylinder to something like the fairlady z one?

and the last thing i wanted to get rid of was the vaccum chamber on the drivers side. What does it do and can it be removed?

Older cars used to have a remote servo you may be able to buy a modern equivalent that could be fitted under the wing or in the car

Like this one Z-1 remote Brake Servo which can be fitted into an existing brake system.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
What do you want to know about the stuff under the plenum?

Bearing in mind I can run whatever ICV I like with the AEM.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
What do you want to know about the stuff under the plenum?

Bearing in mind I can run whatever ICV I like with the AEM.
Can you not just remove the valves and make up blanking plates then use a bleed valve in any suitable vacuum line to the plenum to adjust the tickover

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Don't remove the vacuum reservoir, if you do, the clutch and brake servo won't work whilst the engine is under boost.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Don't remove the vacuum reservoir, if you do, the clutch and brake servo won't work whilst the engine is under boost.
Sorry for resurecting an old thread, but how does the vacuum reservoir work (and what's inside it if anything)?

I really want to get rid of this thing on Fourtoes' R32 to make some room for the alarm siren (which is being moved to make way for a remote filter...). I was hoping you could just bin it and run the vac line straight from the air chamber under the plenum to the brake servo.

This is how my S13 is set up, as they all are from the factory.

Also, I am trying to think why you would need the brake and clutch servos under boost on a car used primarily as a road car (The only time I can think it would be required would be when left foot braking or during full-throttle shifts - not something my skill or lack of would put to use on the public road or on a standard gearbox :nervous:
I've probably overlooked something obvoius, so please put me right if I have :thumbsup:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found a lot of r32 gtst's don't have the vacuum canister.
I removed mine as i will not need power brakes while under boost.

if the highway calls and i feel like brake boosting i will buy a vacuum pump and hook it up from the cockpit into the engine bay.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts