GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone here have there power steering removed? i would like to do it to my car, as i am doing some serious stripping and gutting of my 32. does anyone know of any drawback to doing this? other than it will be a pain to steer while stationary.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Not just when stationary, you also feel it all the way through a corner.

The power steering holds the wheels at the angle you choose, without it, you have to hold the wheels in position all the way through the corner, just like driving a go cart. If you let go, it snaps straight. And thats on a GTS, with a GTR I guess you also have torque steer to counter on hard acceleration.

Easy to have a try, remove belt, and disconnect two pipes going into steering rack. Remember to drain all fluid in rack or it will come out as you turn.

It doesn't save much weight either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true, , i guess i could always remove the belt to see how it feels..

my previous car had no power steering so i know how it feels...

and yes, alone the steering pump does not weigh alot,,, ill be taking more stuff out aswell,,, it all adds up..

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Its the Castor angle that makes the steering centre, PAS does not hold the steering.If you do try without its best to keep oil in the rack to lubricate it

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
My power steering belt was knackered a while ago, the car was an absolute slug to steer, frightening at speed....imagine correcting the wheel a fraction at high speed and nothing happens! Scary...

I'd seriously reconsider if i were you :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
You cant just remove the pipes and belts etc a run without pas. You will need a new steering rack for it to work properly as they work differently. So it maybe a bespoke job unless you can use one out of another non power assisted vehicle

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Its the Castor angle that makes the steering centre, PAS does not hold the steering.If you do try without its best to keep oil in the rack to lubricate it
True, but without powersteering, you have to continually keep up effort on the steering wheel to maintain a turn. My car has no PS anymore, and I like it, you can feel the grip in the front tyres. No good for a road car though, unless you don't mind the steroid injection every morning.:chuckle:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
You cant just remove the pipes and belts etc a run without pas. You will need a new steering rack for it to work properly as they work differently. So it maybe a bespoke job unless you can use one out of another non power assisted vehicle
Not really, a powered rack has a hydraulic cylinder built around the rack. Once drained it only offers the resistance of the piston. You can disassemble the rack and remove the piston if you are really keen, and pack it with grease.

Whats the point, saving in weight, saving in parasitic power loss, improved feel of the grip on the front wheels.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
True, but without powersteering, you have to continually keep up effort on the steering wheel to maintain a turn. My car has no PS anymore, and I like it, you can feel the grip in the front tyres. No good for a road car though, unless you don't mind the steroid injection every morning.:chuckle:
What use do you give your car exactly? have you been on any tight and twisty tracks or even roads where constant application of plenty of steering lock is needed?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
What use do you give your car exactly? have you been on any tight and twisty tracks or even roads where constant application of plenty of steering lock is needed?
My car is for trackdays and sprints.............and maybe the occasional weekend B-road blast.

I've done a fair few miles on road, to guage the non PS effect, oh and it's not a GTR so steering would be lighter w/o PS anyway.
Suprisingly, turn in is not that noticeable, but it does feel like a go cart mid corner, you really do have to maintain the effort all the way through the corner, and it can catch you out if your only used to modern day overpowered steering systems. One handed driving is a no-no.:chuckle:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
appeals to me too:chuckle:

Don't worry, it's nothing like driving with a knackered PS pump, as some have commented.
Once you drain the fluid it feels probably 35-45% between the two extremes, if that makes sense.

The big wow, is the feeling of grip. You can push the car round one of those big motorway style roundabouts,faster and faster until the steering goes really light, just before you get understeer. Do this with the PS active, and you just don't get 1/10th the feel.
I mean you can feel every ripple and bump, every change in tarmac surface, it's great, just like a sportscar should be.:runaway:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts