GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas how I can remove these with out breaking them? I think they might have been bonded on by some black stuff not sure what was used.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It will be a struggle mate, depending on how much of it they have used.
Best to slip a long thin blade in from the top and cut away at it.
It could be possible to even cut through it with some screen removal wire if you can get it in.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just my luck :( I hope they did not use the bonding across the entire mating surface of the spats.

What about gently heating the spats with a heat gun would it help?

·
Registered
26,781 Posts
They are bonded using the kit that comes with the spats from Trust

quite difficult to remove, its the same stuff that you find on the S13 kouki rear lights. its quite a messy type of black sealant.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These were just copies fitted by a body shop who I regret using because they did a poor job not only with these but with some panel replacement.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the stuff they have used. It's just a generic PU adhesive used widely in the industry.
Infact the local vauxhall dealer used to bring me their cars which needed the factory option irmscher lower skirts fitting. The kits were all supplied with this type of adhesive.
I know it doesn't really bode well for making things removeable, but in general, the only time they are removed is if they are damaged for some reason.

·
Registered
26,781 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the stuff they have used. It's just a generic PU adhesive used widely in the industry.
Infact the local vauxhall dealer used to bring me their cars which needed the factory option irmscher lower skirts fitting. The kits were all supplied with this type of adhesive.
I know it doesn't really bode well for making things removeable, but in general, the only time they are removed is if they are damaged for some reason.
not saying the substance is incorrect, just saying it makes it a real bu**er to remove

the Trust ones are supplied with a set of thin tape adhesive, which can be removed quite easily if required.

as you say once fitted, only time they are really going to be removed is if the car is damaged

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Best way to fit them on and for what ever reason they need to be removed it does not mess up the paintwork. Just went out with a sharp thin knive I am able to slice the seal, looks like they used about an inch or so all around the edges.

The Nissan OE ones I have bought also using tape:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts