GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has the GTS R33 got under the hood? Is it Garret?

What is the logical next step for and upgrade?

give me some ideas!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yea the turbo's are garret, garret t20's or t25's or something, i don't know that much about the gts or anything, i'm more of a gt-r freak.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I`ve been told its a T3 with ceramic internals.

Next step on a GTS after priority mods: exhaust/filter/intercooler are steal turbo components. Then you can increase boost abit. After this you`ll need a remapped ECU (Apex-Power FC), bigger injectors,steel headgasket.

PM me if you want more info as I know a mate who can do the turbo upgrade. He works for a turbo company.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Or you can get the exhisting turbo modified if you don't have the money for a completely new turbo kit. It's been done on an r34 gts which is pulling around 200 killowhats at the wheels (from 148 stock, correct me if im wrong). The only mods were an apex'i power fc, apex'i intercooler and an apex'i exhaust. The exhisting turbo was modified because the impeller stuffed up and was spat out the exhaust (well i think they found it near the cat or something). The stock turbos can only support just under 1 bar boost, after that it is overkill, they are known to fail at around 1 bar.
And the turbo's have ceramic internals with a nilon impeller, which obviously is lighter which means they come onto full boost much quicker.

·
Registered
46 Posts
But ofcoarse, as we all know, if you want more than 230 killowhats at the treads then the stock turbos gotta go. If you want to save some money then getting something like an hks 2540 would be good, they can be set all the way up to 2 bar and they bolt on to the stock manifold.

·
Registered
346 Posts
LOL GTS engines are higher compression than GTR so high boost is not advisable without big upgrades to internals etc...

·
Registered
46 Posts
im pretty sure that the 2540's bolt onto the gt-r manifold but i aint so sure that they bolt onto the gts manifold, just try it and see i guess :) . I don't really know that much about the gts so yeah.....

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
The standard turbo runs a T3 style compressor wheel with a T25 style turbine wheel with T3 housings. The S2 R33s have a Nylon compressor wheel, the S1 have a steel - both have a ceramic turbine wheel and a ball bearing core.

HKS don't even make the GT2540R any more do they?? Anyway, the GTR version of the GT2540R won't bolt directly on as they are a T2x flange BUT they did do a T3 bolton version specifically for R33 GTS25ts. As far as I know the GT2540R bolton turbo has been effectively superceded by the HKS GT-RS kit, which you can get as a bolt on for the R33.

These things come sprung to about 13psi, so you will need to upgrade the ECU, fuel pump and realistically injectors to have it run safely or get the best out of it. Depending on the fuel and your tuner, 14psi is probably not very sensible to go past on a unmodified RB25DET - though you can make some serious power with them.

On my R33, I am running a .63a/r Garrett GT3076R turbo which bolted onto the standard manifold (albeit with a 10mm spacer) and mounted a TiAL 38mm external wastegate onto it. This needed a custom dump pipe, intake, oil and water lines made up and I now run an aftermarket ECU that uses a MAP sensor, have 555cc injectors and a big fuel pump as well as a decent intercooler to support what the turbo wants to do.

The thing is making in the territory of 370whp at the moment with an untouched motor and makes full boost around 3600rpm.

·
Registered
73 Posts
at what boost pressure can you run a gt3076r with stock injectors and stock ecu before running lean? And if a rising rate fpr is mounted?

·
Banned
174 Posts
The standard turbo runs a T3 style compressor wheel with a T25 style turbine wheel with T3 housings. The S2 R33s have a Nylon compressor wheel, the S1 have a steel - both have a ceramic turbine wheel and a ball bearing core.

HKS don't even make the GT2540R any more do they?? Anyway, the GTR version of the GT2540R won't bolt directly on as they are a T2x flange BUT they did do a T3 bolton version specifically for R33 GTS25ts. As far as I know the GT2540R bolton turbo has been effectively superceded by the HKS GT-RS kit, which you can get as a bolt on for the R33.

These things come sprung to about 13psi, so you will need to upgrade the ECU, fuel pump and realistically injectors to have it run safely or get the best out of it. Depending on the fuel and your tuner, 14psi is probably not very sensible to go past on a unmodified RB25DET - though you can make some serious power with them.

On my R33, I am running a .63a/r Garrett GT3076R turbo which bolted onto the standard manifold (albeit with a 10mm spacer) and mounted a TiAL 38mm external wastegate onto it. This needed a custom dump pipe, intake, oil and water lines made up and I now run an aftermarket ECU that uses a MAP sensor, have 555cc injectors and a big fuel pump as well as a decent intercooler to support what the turbo wants to do.

The thing is making in the territory of 370whp at the moment with an untouched motor and makes full boost around 3600rpm.

Ditto:smokin:

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Wouldn't have a clue sorry - I think it'd be foolish to try with the stock ECU especially. With ECU, I'd say probably about 12psi. After that a bigger fuel pump would be mandatory~!

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Mike,
It's not the boost pressure that causes it to run lean, it's the flow. The GT3076R turbo mentioned here is going to flow a heck of a lot more air than the relatively tiny housings of the stock turbo.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's true, and i understand that. But by replacing stock turbo with a gt3076r, in boost therms what will be max boost ( air flow ) you can run with stock injectors and stock ecu? ( how much bigger is a gt3076r than a t28? )
mike

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
That's true, and i understand that. But by replacing stock turbo with a gt3076r, in boost therms what will be max boost ( air flow ) you can run with stock injectors and stock ecu? ( how much bigger is a gt3076r than a t28? )
OK, maybe I should re-iterate. You SHOULDN'T run a GT3076R (or any bigger turbo) with stock ECU on an RB25. Its just asking for trouble.

With stock injectors, but with the ECU and a front mount - 12psi should be OK.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts