GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I intend to sit in my soulmate for as long as it takes to remove every last vestige of that rubbery coating that's been peeling slowly from my dashboard for as long as I've had it and no doubt for a fair while beforehand.

Has anyone else succumb to this overwhelming urge? Any tips on how to do it quickly and effectively? I figure a toothbrush, a sprayduster and maybe a rubber glove?

:nervous:

·
Registered
210 Posts
if its the same coating that was on my door window switch pannel all i can say is good luck, my dash one is not peeling but the door one took me about 5 hour, looks good tho

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I'd take it out first 'cos after you have got all the ruber off it'll need a rub down with wet and dry, a coat of (suitable) primer and a top coat colour of your choice...

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Try using a "Caramel Wheel"
You can buy these from most car paint suppliers. It is a soft rubber wheel that you can put into a drill that is used to buff off double sided tape from car body work without damaging the paint.

Cheap too about 5euro

·
Registered
129 Posts
i took mine out and rubbed it down with wet and dry paper , took a long time but looks ace now its painted silver . give extra attention around the heater vent symbols i used a pin to pic it out there, and dont put to much paint on it if thats what ya going to do . the paint they use to paint model cars is good but will need clearing

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. What's all this about painting it? Wet and dry, primer, topcoat?

It's nice shiny black plastic underneath, so I think I'll just leave it at that! I have a dremmell for those vents and borders if needed. It's already coming off with a good finger rub, so hopefully I won't need to get freaky on its ass. I might try lighter fluid - I have a feeling that will attack the rubbery stuff and clean the plastic quite nicely. But I'll test it on an inconspicuous area first. And not smoke while I'm doing it.

Thanks for all yo' help, y'all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I've done it. Looks so much better. Sure, round the vents and switches was a fiddle, but hey. Two hours can't be bad. Here's a tip: Those funny little tools in the lady's manicure set they use to push the cuticles back - rubber on one end, sharp on t'other? Ideal for the tricky bits, and for cleaning dust and muck out of corners!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts