GTR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is the correct forum to post this sorry if not.

Right so Im looking to replace all of my rear bulbs with LED's, do I just need multiple LED bulbs in white or should I get for example red for the stop/tail, white reverse and yellow signal LED's will that make much of a difference?

Also any particular LED's that I should get as I know some of the bulbs come with loads of lights on the LED.

Any recomendations as well as where to buy would be would be great cheers.

Jamie

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,205 Posts
I'd say red for the red lights. A red bulb shining through red glass/plastic will be brighter than a white bulb. The red glass/plastic filters out all the light except red (which is why they look red), so a white light will lose all the colours but red which means less light.

I have red ones for my tail lights with some notes about it in the middle of this post - http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/93421-my-bnr32-7.html#post1222056

As I mention the picture isn't quite right colour wise, the LEDs look redder and the incandescents (ie normal bulbs) are whiter/pinker.

The LEDs are the brightest ones I could find and are a bit brighter than the stockers. They were quite pricey and I think advertised as 4Watt.

If you want to do the indicators you'll probably find that the repeat speed goes up the spout (i.e. they flash too fast). The LEDs have a very small resistance compared to incandescents. You can either fit resisters to the LEDs or replace the flasher unit with an LED friendly unit. Personally I think that the resistor option is a bit 'ghetto' and will be replacing my flasher as soon as: I can be bothered, I can actually work out where it is in the car.

NB If you're from round Gatwick I think I saw you on the A264 yesterday afternoon.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crap and there was me thinking all I needed to do is buy a few LEDs and put them in and job done. So I don't just wanna do my stop tail lights I do want to do all the bulbs. So I'll be needing red LEDs for the stop tail, White for the reverse and with regard to the signal lights tht may run to fast what exactly do I need again to get them working correctly. Could you maybe supply me with a link to what I need?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,205 Posts
Crap and there was me thinking all I needed to do is buy a few LEDs and put them in and job done. So I don't just wanna do my stop tail lights I do want to do all the bulbs. So I'll be needing red LEDs for the stop tail, White for the reverse and with regard to the signal lights tht may run to fast what exactly do I need again to get them working correctly. Could you maybe supply me with a link to what I need?
Dunno about the flasher unit. Until I find mine I don't know what type of unit it is. Mostly likely anyone could be adapted but I'm hoping to get a direct plug in.

These were the guys I used for the rear lights - 380 - 360 degree LED Extreme Power 5W - NEW!. Very speedy dispatch/shipping.

For the reversing light I'd check the bulb and mounting. LEDs are very directional so if the bulb is pointing the wrong way (i.e. side on) then you'll see little light where you want it to be.

Also given you've got an R33 it would probably be best to check exactly what bulbs you're got they could be different to my R32. If you're unsure just snap some pics and I'll try and ID them.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Info on resistors to keep the LED indicators flashing at roughtly the right speed in this thread:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/126720-led-front-indicators.html

Also bear in mind that LEDs tend to emit light only 'forwards', as opposed to normal bulbs which throw it out all around. LED bulbs with multiple LEDs in can be better as then the light can be reflected by the, er, reflector and it looks better.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Info on resistors to keep the LED indicators flashing at roughtly the right speed in this thread:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/126720-led-front-indicators.html

Also bear in mind that LEDs tend to emit light only 'forwards', as opposed to normal bulbs which throw it out all around. LED bulbs with multiple LEDs in can be better as then the light can be reflected by the, er, reflector and it looks better.
Ok cheers for all the info guys, to make this nice and sine for me does anyone know anywhere that I could possibly buy everything all in one hit to convert all my rear bulbs to LEDs including resistors etc. There must be a package somewhere to cater to owners that wanna do just this right?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've just LED'd my D-Speeds on the front of my 32 with these & these. Unfortunately, the small 501 type (for the bulge in the indicator) seems to have dropped off their site in amber. They also do red bulbs in stop/tail format for the rear lights. I'm just about to order some more from them and convert my car completely. Red shows better through the red lenses according to the site.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've just LED'd my D-Speeds on the front of my 32 with these & these. Unfortunately, the small 501 type (for the bulge in the indicator) seems to have dropped off their site in amber. They also do red bulbs in stop/tail format for the rear lights. I'm just about to order some more from them and convert my car completely. Red shows better through the red lenses according to the site.
Mate those bulbs are quite expensive huh. Ok so the only real problem that I can see with all of this is the faster flashing signal lights. Are they 100% going to flash fast or sometimes not? Only reason why im asking is I want to place on order for everything in one hit that was I can install in all togather, so will I 100% need to order that part to slow down the flashing?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yes. You'll need a resistor for every indicator. They might be expensive, but they're good quality. You might be able to find cheaper, but I've had good service from Ultra over the years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts