GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm off to fetch my daughter and her boyfriend from France this afto.

They have been in Paris for two extra nights waiting for Eurostar to re-commence services. Now It seems they have been told unofficially they should not expect a service tomorrow either.

Cheapest flights out of Paris to London i can find for two singles is £975.00 - joke.

If they could get to Calais - trains are full - then PandO are only accepting foot passengers until 3:15PM today and thereafter starting at 6:45am tomorrow...

However I can book my car over to pick them up for the same price as two foot fares.

They have managed to book a train to Dunkirk this afto and me and the GTR are on the P and O ferry out at 6:25PM and returning 22:35 tonight - well that's the plan...

Can't find much info for Road conditions from Calais to Dunkirk except on a random motorhome forum! and a few people say they got through OK this morning so I'm going for it, It's snowing hard here right now (7miles south of Reading) so this could be fun...

I could take the Passat but where would the fun be in that and hey the four wheel drive might come in handy...

I'll let you know how I get on.... might do some updates from the phone for a laugh... Planes Trains and Automobiles...

·
Super Moderator
15,962 Posts
I don't envy you, it is pandemonium at the ports. Eurotunnel have just announced they are closing and do check before you travel - as some services are banning daytrippers which is technically what you are!:chairshot

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Good Luck Malc, let us know how you get on 1

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
thats bad,a good friend of mine got stuck and ended up getting a filght home,however it wasn't that expensive!!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
got back home from france yesterday at 5pm. pre booked on the channel tunnel via car train, 4hour delay!

the calais roads are iced up like mad, what seems like squashed wet snow is rock solid ice!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
just remembered if your coming back on the m20 you should see a 14 mile lorry stack up, what a scene

·
Super Moderator
15,962 Posts
I wouldn't fancy it myself, the whole area is forecast snow tonight!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i left tr racing today at 4.50 and wheelspun the entire 10 miles and 40 mins home. bloody effort.

i wish i still had my L200

kev

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just made it to dover m20 was fine no delays just a bit of slush on the central reservation and didnt see any parked lorries. M25 usual queues worst part was getting through camberley.

Anyway checked in told still definately no foot passengers being allowed on at calais and only way is take car over but in the meantime daughter and boyfriend have managed to get atrain to calais no probs and have breezed straight onto the ferry and will be here in an hour or so.

I just checked back out and now waiting for them to arrive at dover

so basicallly everything ive been told today has been boolox lol and loads of eurostar passengers are going over right now on the ferries

suspect only probs will be on the ungritted roads near home. Cheers for all the kind words

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
hope the weather stays off for you mate.

however i think this is a excuse to take the gtr out! LOL In fact if you get in trouble i might have to come and see if i can help in mine! :thumbsup:

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Drive safe on the way home Malc, it took me 6 hours to drive 16 miles home from work (Epsom) tonight !

Ahhhhhh 2 days ago I was sitting on a beach in the sunshine :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love shit like this. Total adventures are much much fun! Shame it got cut short but fair play for the attempt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts