GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ooo Matron !
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the battery on my car this morning (I wired in the trickle charger connection). But, came to start the car and when you to to starting it, the little yellow key symbol comes on and the car won't start. The car will look and unlock okay.

I spoke with Nissan HPC in Manchester and they said that's a know thing, and something needs to be reset. They said call the RAC and they will be able to sort it out, and if they can't then the RAC will bring it to them and they will do it.

That's fine, but, the RAC is offline !! First of all their number was down, and when it came up, I waited 35 minutes and then lost the will to live. Looking at the news just now it seems there's a national phone problem.

So, is there any way to reset whatever needs to be reset ? The car is standard.

Can you do it via the MFD or an ODB2 thing ? And if so, where is the ODB2 port ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
It will be a Cobra tracker immobilisation, do a search on here and you will find that Cobra immobilise cars that have an electrical power down.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
That's exactly when they do it ... See Barry's previous thread
Even though you have not paid the Cobra subscription they immobilise the car by stopping the starter relay working, several GTR owners have had this happen! You can contact Cobra and they will eventually sort it out, usually a couple of days or you can do a small wiring mod to bypass the immobilisation. If you are in Chester I suggest you contact Andy at AC Speedtech who will be able to sort it or alternatively tow it down to Cobra's head office which is very near you and block their main entrance until they sort it!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Can't believe Cobra can or are allowed to get away with this!

Barry P, any idea how easy it is totally remove the Cobra system? Or is this not possible?

·
Ooo Matron !
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.

Can you believe this ? If you search for that thread it won't find it. And threads only show the last post date, not the first. Arggggg !!!

·
Ooo Matron !
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you.

I've read that now and I don't have quite the same thing, just the little symbol on the dash.

What I'm going to do is get the RAC to try and sort it as per Manchester NHPC's advice (but they are goosed at the moment as their phones went down this morning, the RAC that is) so it's too late now so I'll leave it for another day.

Either way, I'm ****ing fuming. Changing a car's battery should not **** the car and this is clearly a serious design flaw as far as I'm concerned (be it be with the key, the tracker or whatever, it's still down to Nissan). Once I'm back up and running they will be hearing from me in no uncertain terms.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I changed my battery last month and car started fine no problems at all, I cant think for the life of me why you have got a problem, as most cars do not get the problems you describe.

Bobby

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've also had my battery off a couple of times in the last 6 months, with no ill affects.
But I do have an active subscription to Cobra & did tell them I was taking the battery off.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Very easy to remove, takes about 5mins!
Cheers mate.
Is this just your/ AC's fix or a complete removal?

Just considering having a different system at some point, also in a different location!
For what it is, the Cobra system's annual subs is rather expensive compared to every other tracker system i've used!!

·
Ooo Matron !
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I changed my battery last month and car started fine no problems at all, I cant think for the life of me why you have got a problem, as most cars do not get the problems you describe.

Bobby
The service guy at Nissan seemed to know exactly what the problem was, i.e. he'd seen it before. I explained that I could lock and unlock the car with the key and he said that did not mean that the bit that starts the car was not screwed.

I did manage to find the ODB2 connector and connect and no faults came up (its a cheap connector I have that connects to my phone, but it works).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts