GTR Forum banner

Residual values on the up

10K views 100 replies 26 participants last post by  snuffy 
#1 ·
Trade-in values appear to be on the up. My 2010 model has gained almost £4k in the last 6 months on average. It's now almost back to what it was when I bought it Nov 2018. Anyone else noticed similar?

Haven't had a single offer, yes including webuyanycar (as inspected, not just online) that is less than what it was late last year....I think prices have hardened despite COVID.

#2 ·
In case anyone was wondering here's what the numbers look like:

Average offer value
Nov '20 £28,840
Dec '20 £29,390
Jan '21 £29,495
Feb '21 £31,855
Mar '21 £32,160
Apr '21 £33,675

I thought the prices for the early cars would level off in 3-5 years. But is it starting to happen already?

#5 ·
The early cars were too cheap when they dropped sub 30k, they break for parts for more than 30k.

Ive always told customers with early cars to leave them std as that’s where the premium prices will be sought.

certain early parts don’t really have much value right now but I’ll be the first on record to say that undamaged and nice condition early bits will be the ones to fetch daft prices.

#6 ·
yep - I think my MY2015 with just a mere 13.5k on the clock and completely standards except for a milltek Y pipe has increased in value by about £3k since I bought it just over a year ago.
I also watch the Focus RS MK2 market (had one before the GTR), they are now fetching stupid money for low miles standard cars.

#15 ·
I've been counting the number of emails WBAC have seen my since I put mine in; 6 after the initial one.

Today they emailed and said it's now worth £40k.

Are second hand values really on the up ? There was an article in a newspaper I read last week that said they were, due to people not wanting to use public transport and also wanting to buy before the ban on ICE cars.

#14 ·
No, I just wanted to see what it came up with out of interest.

But for completeness, it's a 2011 plate but a MY10. I paid £47k from a Nissan HPC, 7 years ago now, so if someone offered me £40k for it, that's bloody good going - not that I want to sell it however !

#16 ·
Prices are very strong at the moment for anything decent. Supply is weak and demand is very strong. My 67 Track Edition was getting WBAC offers around £58k and then it jumped to £68k between April and mid May. I took it to be assessed and they gave it a thorough inspection over 30 minutes. Bit of haggling and they agreed £66,800 which I happily accepted. The car needed new front Alcon's and the Cup 2's are quite worn. :)

#17 ·
Good to know prices are apparently looking firm on these now. Even though they knocked about £600 off mine for a couple of stone chips, windscreen chip repair and 2 wheels with very slight scuffs (really minor, more of a 6mm scratch on both edges and I thought they were being unreasonably picky for a 2010 reg) they still offered 37,860 a couple of weeks back.

#20 ·
I’ve been saying for a long time that the cars were undervalued, the rough cars tend to drag at the heals of decent examples.

Anyway that’s good for all us owners and our investments are gradually paying us back for the work we put in to buy them.

Happy Motoring😊

#24 ·
Sure, 37k on the miles. Its a black edition. 1 prev owner, services every 6 months etc. From what I've learnt any bodywork or interior changes leads to less money and, as expected, the closer to original spec the better. Give yours a go and make sure you get WBAC to check it over so you get a genuine offer. The website ones are conditional on a full inspection and they use that to knock money off wherever they can (however small an issue) when they have the car in front of them. Let us know how you get on (y)

#31 ·
I paid £42k for my October 2010 car over eight years ago - WBAC have offered £37,500 for it, which seems like pretty reasonable depreciation! It's an 'M16' special edition so might be worth a bit more sold privately; I don't think WBAC would know what that was...
I've toyed with selling it but can't ever come up with anything else I want (that I can afford). Would love a new Bayside Blue GTR but can't really justify the extra cost when there's nothing wrong with mine and I only do 2-3000 miles a year in it!

#34 ·
I put my 18 plate on to see what they would offer. Believe it or not £67700 I only paid £80k 3 and a bit years ago thats good.
I put my Mclaren 570s which I bought 14 months ago to see, and they offered £800 less than I paid for it from a dealer!!
I have also sold them an Isuzu twin cab 67 plate £16800, insane prices but it must end soon so if you want rid do it now

#53 ·
I put my 18 plate on to see what they would offer. Believe it or not £67700 I only paid £80k 3 and a bit years ago thats good.
I put my Mclaren 570s which I bought 14 months ago to see, and they offered £800 less than I paid for it from a dealer!!
I have also sold them an Isuzu twin cab 67 plate £16800, insane prices but it must end soon so if you want rid do it now
You must be the only McLaren owner that hasn’t lost at least £60k on the price they paid for it, within 6 months!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.