GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont suppose anyone has a side by side on how they sound?

Mine needs replacing, cant decide if to go for the full non resonated version or not.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Why does it need replacing?

I've had non-res Y pipes on mine with stock rear section, and it's better of course but still too quiet, I can only assume a resonated Y pipe would be almost pointless (for me at least) in terms of extra noise over stock system.

I now run a GTC Titan Street system including Y pipe, sounds lovely and screamy and not too loud, recommended.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why does it need replacing?

I've had non-res Y pipes on mine with stock rear section, and it's better of course but still too quiet, I can only assume a resonated Y pipe would be almost pointless (for me at least) in terms of extra noise over stock system.

I now run a GTC Titan Street system including Y pipe, sounds lovely and screamy and not too loud, recommended.

The baffles in my current one have come loose.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Nope. It's one of those myths again. People tend to read and spread it with little or no experience, following like sheep.

Like brakes and tyres you need to experience exhausts and decide for yourself, one man's meat is another man's poison :)
I had 2 resonated pipes and I got them because an owner who had a non resonated pipe said it droned fairly bad at 2500rpm, that made my mind up but I guess it may depends on how well sound proofed your car is.
The pipe on my 2010 car sounded much louder inside the cabin than the pipe on my 2015 car.
I would say it was almost loud enough to scare the sheep away!

Not sure if or what to go for on my 2017, dealer said a Y pipe is now detectable on the new model and it wasn't before, hence it wouldn't effect the warranty. True of false?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My experience miltek non res sounded nice but droned at @2000 - 2700 annoying - tried a miltek 90mm resonated 2x boxes the same drone @2000 - 2700 - now have a GTC titan non res to try

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a Russ Fellows non Res Y-pipe with standard downpipes and standard rear section. Gives a nice sound but still fairly quiet then cruising and no droning when on motorways etc. The workmanship is second to none aswell

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Not sure if or what to go for on my 2017, dealer said a Y pipe is now detectable on the new model and it wasn't before, hence it wouldn't effect the warranty. True of false?
Common sense says False, a Y pipe never voided the warranty before and I'd say with 99.9% confidence that it won't now.

The Y pipe is the same on the new model, the new section is a titanium cat-back (rear section) with one large silencer right across the back, instead of 2 small ones, and a valve for closing and opening the near side exit pipes.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Common sense says False, a Y pipe never voided the warranty before and I'd say with 99.9% confidence that it won't now.

The Y pipe is the same on the new model, the new section is a titanium cat-back (rear section) with one large silencer right across the back, instead of 2 small ones, and a valve for closing and opening the near side exit pipes.
Yes I agree Trev but that's what they told me. I then asked why there was another dealership who fitted one to their demonstrators, they didn't have an answer other that to advise me not to have one because they they claim it doesn't sound as nice on the 17 model. Not sure what to do now.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Yes I agree Trev but that's what they told me. I then asked why there was another dealership who fitted one to their demonstrators, they didn't have an answer other that to advise me not to have one because they they claim it doesn't sound as nice on the 17 model. Not sure what to do now.
If it was me I would completely disregard what they told you, then get a Milltek non-res Y pipe fitted asap. Then find myself another NHPC that at least has some clue what they're talking about :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't they droan a lot though?
Nope. It's one of those myths again. People tend to read and spread it with little or no experience, following like sheep.

Like brakes and tyres you need to experience exhausts and decide for yourself, one man's meat is another man's poison
I've had a non res miltek and it did drone. It's not massively bad but it is there. Enough for me to change it snyway

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is my current Y-pipe, which, something inside is loose and rattling...

Which is a shame because its got a really good sound to it, dont suppose anyone recognizes it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts