GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
WOW, good bit of renovation going on there!!...

Your fabrication skills are excellent! I too, love a bit of metalworking and creating solidity where there was only rust :chuckle:

And dont think the forum is dead and FB rules! I personally MUCH prefer the forum to ANY of the FB trash. Long live GTR.co.uk!!

:D:D:D

TT

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I love these updates, it is like watching Project Binky on YouTube but with pictures instead! Keep them coming. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Awesome work on the shell - watching with great interest.

I am currently welding the arches back onto my "Daily Driver" (2005 Impreza Wagon) and I thought I was doing well................... pales in comparison to your work - KEEP IT UP!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
So next piece I needed to make this which which Nissan has now discontinued is the front six inches of the outer inner wheel arch. As you can see it's past it's best.
I was really worried about my ability to make a replacement

To my surprise only using a bead roller a hammer and 1 inch bar with a rounded end I made this after about 1 1/2 hours.
I think its my best replacement panel so far!

Mocked up on the car

Welded in

I will repair the top edge of the wheel arch but at the same time I am ensuring I have clearance for 10.5 x 18's with 295 30 tyres. Which is the widest type that I can find.
I am thinking 295 30 on the rear with 285 35 on the front to give the same rolling radius. But back to the point I need to get at least the subframe and arms back on to judge where the rear arch needs to go.

Next is by far the most difficult bit I have had to make so far.

·
Following EJH#25
6,824 Posts
Mine has moved on somewhat from my old build thread David, just plodding away in the background but quite a few changes have been made.

Love reading the work you and a few others do, I wish I had the time and skill to do more myself! Keep the updates coming...

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Mine has moved on somewhat from my old build thread David, just plodding away in the background but quite a few changes have been made.

Love reading the work you and a few others do, I wish I had the time and skill to do more myself! Keep the updates coming...
Thanks Matt, i’ll Add another update tomorrow. Is there any chance of you starting a new thread I am sure there would be lots of interest?

·
Following EJH#25
6,824 Posts
I don***8217;t think there***8217;s overly much interest these days David, there***8217;s only a handful of people genuinely interested from what I***8217;ve seen - and photobucket is a royal PITA.

Anyway, don***8217;t want to detract from your thread mate but I***8217;m definitely one of the ones who enjoys reading these threads.

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
Keep providing updates please! I don***8217;t have the skill set to do this nor the time but do enjoy reading it. Always good to see another car get saved instead of being scrapped!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Maybe we are all speechless! Its great to see people spending the time and effort to fix shells. I still would like to see how you make the pieces with a flange that goes round a corner without the cuts in the bend flange. I come from an oem world where its all made in massive press/stamping machines. So its very interesting to see it all handmade.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Maybe we are all speechless! Its great to see people spending the time and effort to fix shells. I still would like to see how you make the pieces with a flange that goes round a corner without the cuts in the bend flange. I come from an oem world where its all made in massive press/stamping machines. So its very interesting to see it all handmade.
Thankyou, if there is interest in how I make the more complex panels I can show pictures of the tools I am using. I think you will be surprised how simple they are.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
So to complete the driverside sill, I need to remake the end section. I have sent it for shot blasting so moved on while I am waiting for that.

I decided to clean up the drivers side floor now it is almost finished and give it a coat of paint to stop the new metal going rusty.

This is what it came up like. This is using a small wire brush in an angle grinder a scrapper and thinners. I doesn't take long to get the panels back to factory paint or bare metal.

Ready for some paint

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Then onto the next bit, the driverside wheel arch, now initially this looks not too bad

However, notice the small hole in the corner and the fact the seam is distorted from rust coming from underneath. So I started looking in more detail

Not good, so I started cutting / drilling the spot welds out

This is not good as you can see the bulkhead is corroded and has a hole in it

So I marked up the minimum to remove, unfortunately the hole(s) keep getting bigger as I keep having to make them bigger to get the angle grinder in

This is the section cut out with the replacement I made ready to go back in

Made using these tools (the key bit being the bit of tube

Mocked up ready for welding

Welded view from wheel arch

From engine bay

Next repair to the corner of the chassis leg the inner arch is going to weld to

I also decided to make this to fill the area where Nissan decided not to join the top of the chassis leg to the bulkhead

I missed pictures of the inner arch repair panel, but this is it in. Welding looks messy as it was welded from the other side.

So next, clean up all the rust a treat it, so it wont come back, I am using rustisol

Then rebuild layor by layor as per the rear floor

Until it finally looks something like this.

After some light sanding the front arch is done

41 - 60 of 139 Posts