GTR Forum banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
Thankyou I have been watching your cars progress via Steve's updates on FB, I am surprised by what he found.

Steve has also given me many tips for mine, all the treatment paints I have used are the ones he uses.
Great stuff, Steve certainly knows his way around these cars.

I was quite suprised too, not just at the condition of the shell but the amount of bodge jobs that he has uncovered. Not something I expected having brought the car off a forum member who “knew” these cars. Alas live and learn.

Keep up the great work on the R32!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
So I have been putting off putting the sills on for ages. My main reason being I was worried about distorting the sills particularly arround the door shuts where its very visable using the MIG.

So I recently bought a spot welder.

So first I treated the inside of the inner sill this will also later be Waxoiled.
This is a copper based weld through primer I really like

0184ce54acb0ee96630e90581a04224bd13a358f69.jpg

Then sill mocked up

018e6f7a8f737566c04f8b0fde0e253d883f3a6d48.jpg

0150509ae38a18c6378c3ffb98cbd4de0578bd1fd9.jpg

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
So first go with the spot welder on the car and ....... success :smokin:

0178b81e3ca4935d9731098486e9b3e0da59aaf289.jpg

Even goes through 4 layors with ease

01a9fbbf6a6d67699c4eb1acebbe9651488d9d53bd.jpg

Finally I used it to stitch the front edge of the sill on with double stitches

014f1b4a0728ad9c41ba6bfccae3e97bfb318ca17d.jpg

I now need to find another evening to get out in the garage and finish the sill

Kev you need a spot welder

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
well it would certainly be extreme. I think yu have to satisfy yourself just exactly how much weight you would end up saving by the time you add back in bracketry to hold big FG panels that are not always the weight saving you might expect.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
well it would certainly be extreme. I think yu have to satisfy yourself just exactly how much weight you would end up saving by the time you add back in bracketry to hold big FG panels that are not always the weight saving you might expect.
I think your right, after the welding and suspension are complete I'll be moving onto making carbon panels, so hopefully they will shed some weight.

I am thinking rather than the out skin the majority of weight will come out of the chassis legs and boot floor.

This also allows me to make a fuel cell that could be contoured to also form the bottom of a diffuser.

I need to make a decision soon as I either need to repair the bottom of the rear quarters or cut them off.

It's all more time aswell, if I dont do it I think I could get it back together relatively quickly.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I would say get back together more quickly, see how it performs because you can always come back to this as an option. much more difficult to put back once you have made the cut...

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I would say get back together more quickly, see how it performs because you can always come back to this as an option. much more difficult to put back once you have made the cut...
The only disadvantage to that is I will then need to redo all the paint work.

One option it to do the fronts now as I think the inner arches will need moving to clear the wheels at the rideheight I want and do the rear later

·
Registered
883 Posts
Another really good update yet again and yes your right I think I need to get myself a spot welder, is one of the machine mart ones?

As for cutting the car up, when I saw the first part of the update yesterday I was going to comment on how you'll end up falling in to the trap of a proper restoration and never track it after all the work you've put in, then you posted this one, I know the plan as been a track car from day one, so I think the removal of the front and rear would definitely confirm the track aspect of it and to be honest, I feel it would help you focus as there would be no turning back.

If you really do have doubts about which way to go, have an evening with your best buds, it's worked for me in the past, just choose your day (I find Fridays are best) in from work, have a bud, tea with the wife and kids, a couple more buds, get kids bathed and in bed, couple more, out to the garage, couple more, get the grinder out with a nice new cutting disc in, one more for luck, bish bash bosh, job done, when you get back from the hospital get a good nights sleep, Saturday morning, slice of toast and cup of tea in hand, open the garage doors and take a moment to come to terms with the fact you've cut the front and back of your r32 and the only thing you can do from here is crack on with building a proper track car, just how you want it, not forgetting, if anyone asks, it was a few of you best buds that made you do it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Great advice Kev.

Unfortunately for the last two weeks I have had to keep out of the garage. Basically whilst welding the sill on some splatter burnt through my glove and then burnt into my finger.

I didn't think much of it until 3 days later when the joints and tendon started to ache. After some self administered surgery/draining failed I have ended up on Anti biotics and was told to keep it spotlessly clean. I think it's almost fixed so garage tomorrow

The moral of the story don't wear mechanix gloves for welding

121 - 139 of 139 Posts