GTR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to some very clever people at DuPont™, no not for inventing lycra ;) rather Krytox® GPL 105 this time.
It's an aerospace grade lubricant that works very well to restore rubber seals and prevent squeaks.

Ricky Elder from Race Developments put me onto it in another thread, so I decided to follow it up and find out where it would be useful.

Getting hold of the stuff is easy thanks to the lovely Anne Law at GBR Technology Ltd.
Cost is £46.20/30ml bottle including VAT and First Class postage to a UK address.
It doesn't look much, but after treating all the seals the bottle is barely touched; so it will last a long time or serve to treat multiple vehicles.

Anne included a very helpful guide, based on information for the VW EOS that I believe originated here.
All the detail is there and following it is straightforward:
- clean the seals with methylated spirits, they accumulate quite a bit of dirt over time
- apply using the spout as indicated in the guide above, by running a line along the seal. Note that a number of the seals have two layers, e.g. door window seal, so may sure to apply to the front and back
- work it in using your fingers as indicated. For the double layer seals, it is easily done between your forefinger and thumb
- for the less accessible seals at the front and on the f4underside & base of the door, you can put the Krytox directly on your finger/thumb and then apply it

If you didn't get too distracted by the link above, it took less than an hour to do the whole car: bonnet, boot, door, window and windscreen, roof panel, door open/closed switches, air vent seals and back of the wiper blades.
Don't worry if there's any excess, it wipes off glass with a paper towel and washes off paintwork.

It's cured an occasional yet annoying squeak from the base of the windscreen that started with the return of the cold weather.

Protegimus

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nice find, thanks for sharing. I have to annoying squeaks on occasion so this looks perfect :thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts