GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Following on from my last thread about Skylines and exhaust flames, I was out tonight trying to get some pyrotechnics going.

I managed several loud pops and according to the missus (who was standing back from the car holding the camera) - a visible flame but she managed to miss it on the shot!

I noticed, at 7,000 rpm, the engine wouldn't go any further. I know there's a limiter on the engine which stops the revs at 7k. My question is - how does the limiter work? Is it a hardware device or software in the ECU?. What can I achieve my removing / reprogramming it and are there any negative side effects such as damage to the engine, pistons etc from minimal use above 7k revs?

Awaiting advice from all the techies out there!

Andrew

:smokin:

·
Registered
720 Posts
The limiter is on the engine for a very good reason, if you want your bottom end to last don't rev it over 7000 revs (red line).

You can by speed limit defencers, these remove the 110mph speed limiter built into the ECU. Infact I've just come from the garage after fitting one to my mates GTS.

Jason.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I've got the speed limiter on mine. I've had it up to 169mph which even though the speedo may be out a little there's no way it's out by 60 mph!

What's the bottom end? Is it the bottom of the pistons? Is it something you can change or reinforce like changing turbo internals?

Andrew

:smokin:

PS. How much would larger injectors set me back and are they easy to fit? Are there any pointers you can give me for modding my GTS engine?

·
Registered
961 Posts
the bottom end is the crank shaft and conronds and pistons
to rev higher needs high strength conrods .titainium etc
it costs lots coz it needs a rebulid and thats big money

1 - 4 of 4 Posts