GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Chris from Middlehurst told me they have several products testing but have not approved any yet but will do soon - or something along those lines. I would be keen - my bat mobile is having its optimisation service there today/tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I'm interested in this one too as i've got the kit that the non-nav guys have fitted, as yet to be fitted, but there are differences between the mfd's. So wondering if anyone with a Nav car had fitted rear cam too?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No such luck - the screen is wired differently to the USDM and the non-nav cars. I think this is due to the fact that the nav cars have DVD playing functionality.
If anyone gets it working, I would be very interested to know.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
No such luck - the screen is wired differently to the USDM and the non-nav cars.
Can I ask where you got that info?

Just that RGB is RGB regardless of resolution. That means the wires and the connectors in our non-nav cars are very capable of being used in the nav cars.

Granted nothing Nissan does surprises me anymore (!) but it would be strange if the screen connector was different. The PVCNISI unit just plugs in between the MFD and the AV unit in our non-nav cars.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

Just that RGB is RGB regardless of resolution. That means the wires and the connectors in our non-nav cars are very capable of being used in the nav cars.

Granted nothing Nissan does surprises me anymore (!) but it would be strange if the screen connector was different. The PVCNISI unit just plugs in between the MFD and the AV unit in our non-nav cars.
My best guess is that the handbrake and (depending on how fast you reverse) speedsensor to turn off the screen because of the dvd player that the Sat Nav cars reportedly have are causing a problem with having the screen on while moving.

This is all conjecture and reading on forums. Not my personal experience. I'll find out for sure in a week or so hopefully. (getting AudioAdvice to sort my car next week hopefully)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Thanks for your post.

I was going to do a step by step guide to this. I've had all the interior pannels, AV controller, switch units etc out, wired up my camera and put it all back. The PVCNIS1 unit plugs into the MFD fine - the connector is the correct connnector.

However, the wiring of the pins into the AV control unit and the screen on the Sat Nav cars appears to be quite different to the US cars and I assume the non-sat nav cars - I think this is partly down to DVD functionality. Certainly, the wiring into the pins of the AV control unit is very different.

I have made a pigtail and taken ground, acc and permanently live feeds from the PVCI-NIS1 unit - this meant I didnt need to splice into any of the stock wires for power. (A permanently live connection is not being used at the moment, but it might be useful in the future). These feeds are tucked away behind the AV control unit and could be useful in the future.

The only other connections needed were from the orange wire on the back of the AV control unit (for a reversing signal) and a red wire closest to this orange (this is not on the same pin as the US wiring diagrams) for (-ve) parking brake.

My PVCI-NIS1 unit fires up correctly when the car is put in reverse - I've also used a delayed switching unit and this is working fine.

I get a picture from my Kenwood camera on the MFD, but only if DVD is selected on the AUX input.

I'm sure there must be a way to get it working correctly, but for now, I thought I'd leave mine as it is. If anyone does, I'd be very interested and I'll go back and sort mine out.

PS. I blew a fuse while working. Had a bit of a worry when the screen wouldnt work at all. Ended up being a fuse in the small fuse box in the engine compartment labelled "radio". To get to the fuses, its necessary to remove the pannel over the fuse boxes, but this is very straight forward.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
If you can find the correct wire coming from the AUX switch, you could use the reverse signal to switch the MFD...... possibly?

You'd still need to figure out how to switch it back automatically, but that may involve running a tap from the passenger foootwell module.

Sorry I cant help more but it does seem that the nav cars have very different wiring sadly.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can find the correct wire coming from the AUX switch, you could use the reverse signal to switch the MFD...... possibly?

You'd still need to figure out how to switch it back automatically, but that may involve running a tap from the passenger foootwell module.

Sorry I cant help more but it does seem that the nav cars have very different wiring sadly.
Thanks - yep that was my view too. I thought I'd wait to see if any professionsals get it going.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

I'll pass that info on to the guys i've asked to fit mine ( I think Hazardous actually mentioned that to me last week but i have the brain of sieve! )

See when you say running a tap from the passenger footwell....why would that be required to get it to switch back automatically?

Ta

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
The BCM (body control module) is fixed against the outer body panel on the left of the passenger footwell. There are outputs from this that for instance provide 12v or a ground when the gearstick is in Park or Drive or Reverse.

I used these to sort the auto door lock.

It would be possible to use the reverse signal to activate the AUX then the shift of the gearstick to switch to say DISC by default.

It does seem a royal PITA but Nissan do like throwing curve balls don't they?!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The BCM (body control module) is fixed against the outer body panel on the left of the passenger footwell. There are outputs from this that for instance provide 12v or a ground when the gearstick is in Park or Drive or Reverse.

I used these to sort the auto door lock.

It would be possible to use the reverse signal to activate the AUX then the shift of the gearstick to switch to say DISC by default.

It does seem a royal PITA but Nissan do like throwing curve balls don't they?!
Thanks again for explaining stuff!

But would that not mean that every time you put the car in reverse (say doing a 3 point turn because the sat nav has told you a bit too late about a turning)the music playing would cut out?

It does seem like it's royal PITA!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Following this thread just to see if there will come a better solution to fit a rear camera, for my concern you guys can figure it out till January ;) ...

Ben

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
i have the kits availble if you are interested. My kit will also offer a front camera to be fitted to the car. The rear camera is fully automatic once the car is in reverse. Here is the link to my kits. I have sold a few kits already to cars in th UK.

Nissan GTR GT-R R35 Rear Camera Kit also Front Camera:eBay Motors (item 220511410740 end time Dec-15-09 19:42:48 PST)
Adrey. You must confirm you have sold kits to UK Nav cars as the kit I have used for my non-nav car doesnt work on them.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
which kit is this that you tried on your car?
I used the PVCNISI unit from discountcarstereo.com, but it doesnt matter as they all use the same inline patch between MFD and AV unit, just as your kit does.

The UK satnav cars have different connectors on the rear of both the AV unit and the MFD, and this has been discussed here.

The connector supplied with any of the camera kits used on USDM and UK non-nav cars will not work on sat nav UK cars, according to UK guys who have posted there findings here.

Also, UK non-nav cars do not have the M104 connector for your ipod kit either. I have no info as to whether the nav cars have this connector.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, you can watch DVDs in the Nav cars. I took delivery last week and have tried it out. Only works when in Park and / or handbrake applied.

Sorry to stray off topic but just wanted to correct the advice given above.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts