GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the idea of one of these, i notice Nissan do one at £750, whats the difference between Nissans and one of these for £56?

High resolution CCD camera, with infrared illumination at night, waterproof, 12 month guarantee and a 5m RCA video cable. The important thing about CCD cameras is they give a much better image than the cheaper CMOS versions. Cable length of 5-20M can be selected inside listing. These cameras come with the 1/3" Sharp CCD sensor and give a very good image.

Reversing Camera | Reversing Cameras | CMOS Reversing Cameras | CCD Reversing Camera from Parkingcameras.com - Cameras for Cars, Motorhomes, Lorries and more.

Surely it doesent cost £700 to fit a camera and cable.....................

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm not sure what that particular camera would be like but I bought the Kenwood CMOS-200 and the harness from Brian in the states (username bdl I think). All in it cost approximately £200 and an afternoon to fit. It is very good quality.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I'm not sure what that particular camera would be like but I bought the Kenwood CMOS-200 and the harness from Brian in the states (username bdl I think). All in it cost approximately £200 and an afternoon to fit. It is very good quality.
Yep, same here!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'd be interested.

How realistic is "...an afternoon to fit" ? And can anyone do it? Doesn't it require the rear bumper removal?
It is possible to fit in an afternoon. I can't remember exactly but it was probably no more than 4 hours or so. If you take your time then yes anyone can do it. You don't need to remove the bumper as you can fish the wire from the left number plate light area to a grommet on the left hand side of the rear boot area. This was the most difficult part in my opinion.
It is definitely worth doing and makes reversing up to kerbs or walls a lot easier. As the camera is mounted beside the number plate light, it isn't visible from the rear of the car which is a bonus. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks. Yes, very helpful.

Does the pack mentioned come with installation instructions? If so, do you happen to have a copy of these so I can get a proper idea of what's involved? Does it hook into the loom in the boot or require a run to the unit in dash?

Definitely like the idea of the reversing camera.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Yep, same here!
+1

Brian provides a google doc with comprehensive instructions. Pulling a GTR apart is actually quite easy. The rear seat comes out no problems. The trim pops off and is actually quite resilient. And taking the head unit out is straight forward - i'd recommend using the plastic tools to avoid scratching the facia.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks. Yes, very helpful.

Does the pack mentioned come with installation instructions? If so, do you happen to have a copy of these so I can get a proper idea of what's involved? Does it hook into the loom in the boot or require a run to the unit in dash?

Definitely like the idea of the reversing camera.

Cheers.
Yes as misters3 said, Brian provides a good document showing how to install the camera and run the cable etc. I don't have it on me but if you pm Brian (bdl99 is his username I think) I am sure he will send the document to you pre-purchase as he did with me. The harness Brian provides is for the rear of the MFD so does require you to run the cable all the way to the dash but this is not difficult at all.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your comments guys.

This web site says that CCD is better quality than CMOS and is only £60 unless you need extra kit

CCD or CMOS?
Well it depends on whether you want the best and are prepared to pay a little extra for great night vision and a wider angle. CCD gives a far greater picture in both day and night. We'd definitely always recommend spending the small amount extra to give a much better picture.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks for your comments guys.

This web site says that CCD is better quality than CMOS and is only £60 unless you need extra kit

CCD or CMOS?
Well it depends on whether you want the best and are prepared to pay a little extra for great night vision and a wider angle. CCD gives a far greater picture in both day and night. We'd definitely always recommend spending the small amount extra to give a much better picture.
There are pros and cons to both technologies. Kenwood used to do a CCD rear camera a few years ago (the CCD-2000) and I had it on my other car. They have since moved to CMOS (the 200 and 300). I am not sure what their reason was for doing so but I am sure it was a good one.
I am sure the camera you found will work but I wanted the quality of the Kenwood when I was buying. Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I changed to an LED at the back of my car and not sure if that makes a difference. But i have the older Kenwood camera and nightvision is pretty good.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Rang a local supplier about the Kenwood CMOS-200 and they mentioned that the Pioneer NDB-C5 was identical but badged Pioneer. Can anyone confirm this is correct? I noticed that it's available online at a slightly more competitive price.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Rang a local supplier about the Kenwood CMOS-200 and they mentioned that the Pioneer NDB-C5 was identical but badged Pioneer. Can anyone confirm this is correct? I noticed that it's available online at a slightly more competitive price.
It certainly looks very similar (including the mounting bracket).

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Get your 'fishing' skills up to scratch! As already mentioned, fishing the cable through the grommett and down through the no. plate light was a 'mare. It took me a fair while to do it but patience & perseverance paid off.
The sense of satisfaction in doing the install yourself is great!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hopefully receive it sometime next week.

I agree about doing things yourself. I hate dealers messing with my car - even if it takes me a lot longer to carry out the same job!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Right, I've got today off work and am in the process of fitting the camera.

Question....is there any purpose for the two power connectors dropping down from the MFD within Brian's additonal loom? I can only see that one will be used together with the video input.

Right, better get back to the garage!!

:)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Good stuff. I'm sure you'll get it fitted no problem. The second power connector is spare for a forward looking camera.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts