GTR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I did briefly look at this way back when. The problems were:
  • Even though on some cars there is a connector (although I thought it started later than 2010) it doesn't make it necessarily easier
  • I think I could install our kit faster, running a wire from front to back is very easy and we don't need to remove the rear bumper as I believe is the case with the Nissan kit
  • Not a fan of the placement of factory camera
  • Prefer the Kenwood camera to the Nissan/Clarion camera - I've had both with our kit in my 2011 and factory installed in my 2014 (I'm not the only one who has said that also)
  • The Nissan kit is very expensive.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I did briefly look at this way back when. The problems were:
  • Even though on some cars there is a connector (although I thought it started later than 2010) it doesn't make it necessarily easier
  • I think I could install our kit faster, running a wire from front to back is very easy and we don't need to remove the rear bumper as I believe is the case with the Nissan kit
  • Not a fan of the placement of factory camera
  • Prefer the Kenwood camera to the Nissan/Clarion camera - I've had both with our kit in my 2011 and factory installed in my 2014 (I'm not the only one who has said that also)
  • The Nissan kit is very expensive.
I see an opportunity for you. Those owners with this connection, why not give us the best of both worlds - a kit that connects to the OEM plug in the boot and the Kenwood camera. I for one would buy this kit.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I see an opportunity for you. Those owners with this connection, why not give us the best of both worlds - a kit that connects to the OEM plug in the boot and the Kenwood camera. I for one would buy this kit.
There are loads of reversing cameras on ebay, can't say that I know anything about them, but I imagine that most will work, some clip into the numberplate light so making mounting a doddle.

Agreed that there must be an opportunity to wire into the Nissan plug, when you switch on the screen, voltage is a applied to one of the wires, wouldn't be a problem to cut off the Nissan plug and fit one that suits an alternative design

bdl99, surely there must be a simpler option with your camera.

My car was first registered April 2010

·
Registered
80 Posts
The problem is a lack of volume to make any research/development worthwhile. The target audience would be so small.

Something else to consider is that with our current approach a front camera is also possible.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There are loads of reversing cameras on ebay, can't say that I know anything about them, but I imagine that most will work, some clip into the numberplate light so making mounting a doddle.
Yep, I have a box full of various ones I tried. ebay can be great, but there was no consistency even when buying from the same seller. The cameras tended to be poor quality or DOA. As an end customer some of them are so cheap that you could buy a couple of spares, but as a vendor I don't want to have to deal with customers being unhappy if/when their camera fails.

We do offer a harness to allow customers to source their own cameras.

Agreed that there must be an opportunity to wire into the Nissan plug, when you switch on the screen, voltage is a applied to one of the wires, wouldn't be a problem to cut off the Nissan plug and fit one that suits an alternative design
That is the research that would be required:
-How many cars actually have that plug
-is it connected at the other end.
-The nissan kit comes with a little module so what does that do and will something similar need to be created.

bdl99, surely there must be a simpler option with your camera.
As I mentioned above, I'm not sure just how much simpler it would make it and would remove the ability to easily add a front camera.

·
Registered
21 Posts
BLD, I agree with Hugh it would be great to get a Camera from CarKit that plugs straight into that white plug in the boot. (Without wiring back to dash). We have found the same plug in our CBA MY10 and DBA MY11's in Australia. From MY12 the rear camera was fitted as standard ..

Brian, How many would you have to sell to make the R&D worth it ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
BLD, I agree with Hugh it would be great to get a Camera from CarKit that plugs straight into that white plug in the boot. (Without wiring back to dash). We have found the same plug in our CBA MY10 and DBA MY11's in Australia. From MY12 the rear camera was fitted as standard ..

Brian, How many would you have to sell to make the R&D worth it ?
I would say at least 50, but then the other problem is there is no market in the US and no vehicles for us to work/test on. Australian model is like the European model where the AV system isn't different based on CBA or DBA or year, but whether the car has Satellite Navigation or not. In the US it is by year 2009/10 = old system and 2011 onward = new. The 2011/12 had the newer system but there was no connector in the trunk and even if there were if definitely wasn't connected to the appropriate connectors on the back of the screen.

The first check I would want to do is prove by way of a continuity check that the connections on that connector go to the appropriate place in the back of the screen. Without access to a car with the connector I can't do that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fair enough Brian, thanks for your response. One of us have to get friendly with a auto electrician and experiment.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
when you switch on the screen, voltage is a applied to one of the wires, wouldn't be a problem to cut off the Nissan plug and fit one that suits an alternative design
Given the above, it should be easy enough to experiment.

Even better if someone can confirm the voltages with a camera plugged in.

The best price I found for the Nissan kit that plugs straight in was around £360

·
Registered
80 Posts
Given the above, it should be easy enough to experiment.

Even better if someone can confirm the voltages with a camera plugged in.

The best price I found for the Nissan kit that plugs straight in was around £360
Do you have any details of the Nissan kit you mentioned for £360? The kits I had seen previously were more than that and what always concerned me is there was some form of control module.

If I was in the UK I would be much more willing to help because access to a UK car would be much easier. What makes things worse is no one seems to have access to the UK specific wiring diagrams where the US ones are readily available.

If someone locally wants to help locally the first and easiest thing would be is to see if that connector is populated on a car with a factory rear camera.

Next looking for the presence of a voltage. What the voltage is and does it vary when car is in reverse.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Do you have any details of the Nissan kit you mentioned for £360? The kits I had seen previously were more than that and what always concerned me is there was some form of control module.

If I was in the UK I would be much more willing to help because access to a UK car would be much easier. What makes things worse is no one seems to have access to the UK specific wiring diagrams where the US ones are readily available.

If someone locally wants to help locally the first and easiest thing would be is to see if that connector is populated on a car with a factory rear camera.

Next looking for the presence of a voltage. What the voltage is and does it vary when car is in reverse.
The Reverse Camera package from Nissan - if purchased separately - consists of 3 items:

1. Item No. K6380-89950 - The camera
2. Item No. K6389-JF060 - The bracket for the camera
3. Item No. K6384-ED025 - The wiring harness

I did put a voltmeter across the terminals, voltage was applied to one when when reverse was selected, but only after the reverse camera option had been enabled in the MFD.

One of the wires is thicker than the others, looks like it might be externally screened.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Black Camera power
Red Camera ground (I know a strange choice in colour)
White Camera signal
Black Camera shield

If this is simply a case of a harness I can probably get something made with a smaller number of interested parties.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Black Camera power
Red Camera ground (I know a strange choice in colour)
White Camera signal
Black Camera shield

If this is simply a case of a harness I can probably get something made with a smaller number of interested parties.
I cant remember exactly which way round the voltages were when I checked, but I know it was pretty similar to what you have posted above, almost certain it was voltage applied to the black wire once reverse was selected.

Do you have a camera in mind to try out?

Thanks

Hugh

61 - 80 of 144 Posts