GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Hipo,
I concur with DCDs statement !:D :smokin:

Mycroft - Hipo is currently driving around in Tokyo with his car.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The only true way to dyno your engine is to take it out...but that's alot of hassle!

Other wise just accept the figures and always round down...people will respect power figures which are rounded down much more than ones rounded up...

Or get it to a drag strip asap!!!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Congratulations Gio!

Wow mate, some scary numbers there! Hehehe...

All of a sudden your interest in "better" transmissions makes some real sense :D

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'm going to try to get some footage when I finally get my lazy a$$ to the track.

Maxi said:
Hi Gio!

I wouldn't go for the avs for your gtr...
Why dont you go for the a048r?

Geez, Maxi, those tyres look pretty messed up. Only problem is I already hooked up the AVS's. So far so good, but I gotta agree with DCD that it would take some serious tarmac work to get the tyres looking like that. :)

Cya O!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
What transmission are you using ?

What clutch are you using ?

As far as how much power a car makes at the engine - who cares........ its what makes it to the ground that counts.

The only thing that counts is that the wheels are driven with xxx horsepower....

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
tyndago said:
What transmission are you using ?

What clutch are you using ?

As far as how much power a car makes at the engine - who cares........ its what makes it to the ground that counts.

The only thing that counts is that the wheels are driven with xxx horsepower....
Factory transmission, Sean. OS triple for the clutch.

With regards to measuring hp, I agree that wheel hp is where its at. However, as you can see by a number of threads elsewhere, sometimes people are interested in engine hp. I guess its a product of the industry and their inability to quote wheel hp for factory vehicles. Any thoughts?

Cya O!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Factory transmission - an OS Triple and 800 wheel horsepower ?

Are you nuts ?

3rd gear will not be happy with you if you look at it wrong....

As far as horsepower goes...... some interesting stuff has been found out in the US on this..... and some factories have had to recall cars because they were not performing up to spec...

Mustang Cobra was a big one --- Mazda Miata had some issues.... Nissan was having some issues with numbers.... so much so that they actually changed there rated power outputs thoughout their line...

I can see in the future that wheel horsepower will be quoted. One magazine here in the US - Sport Compact Car actually dyno tests all the vehicles they can.

I really dislike peoples claims of how powerful a car is.... most people wouldnt know a real 500 hp car if it ran over them....yet everyone you seem to speak to has had a 500 hp car......or is building one , etc.

I let the dyno - and then backed up with drag strip times prove the power our cars make.....

If dyno numbers are easy to twist - engine numbers are just filled with too much voodoo....

To me - an engine "estimate " means absolutely nothing .

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
tyndago said:
Factory transmission - an OS Triple and 800 wheel horsepower ?

Are you nuts ?

3rd gear will not be happy with you if you look at it wrong....
Too right. I know the transmission is headed to the cemetary on the first visit to the track - this is the reason why I'm reluctant to get to the track until I've got the $$$ to upgrade to an aftermarket kit immediately after.

tyndago said:
I really dislike peoples claims of how powerful a car is.... most people wouldnt know a real 500 hp car if it ran over them....yet everyone you seem to speak to has had a 500 hp car......or is building one , etc.
Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, reality will always be skewed when you are being "measured" by it - some people are just better at keeping things real.

Cya O!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Which aftermarket trans would you use ?

At that horsepower - there are other issues - front diff in particular - you will break it off the car...

If you hook it hard off the line - rear axles...

The triple plate is very unforgiving....

I have three cars for you to look at..... look at the trials and issues they had - Mario - Exvitermini R33 , Heat Treatments R32 , and Croydon Wholesalers R32 . Pay attention to some of the race coverage of what they broke.... and how much of it....

Like HKS axles etc..

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Looking at the front runners is most definitely a worthwhile exercise. As is likely the case for many, those front runners are the ones that inspire you to take a certain path. In the process you get to learn a lot. I think I've learned that I should've just stuck with building a circuit racer. ;)

On the topic of axles, a friend just busted out his front axles launching in a street race last week - it wasn't even grippy tarmac or drag track. He's got an 800hp+ R33 and has issues if the HKS axles are considered soft - his options seem limited.

When the factory transmission goes I'll likely go with a HKS 6 speed H-pattern or possibly a sequential setup (if I can accept that it can be used in a street car). Either way its going to be a hassle as there are still no bolt-in beefed up transmissions for the R34. What are planning to go with in the RBMotoring R34 (assuming you are going to need to upgrade at some point)?

Cya O!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
hipogtr said:
On the topic of axles, a friend just busted out his front axles launching in a street race last week - it wasn't even grippy tarmac or drag track. He's got an 800hp+ R33 and has issues if the HKS axles are considered soft - his options seem limited.
The axles are not the problem. Its something else that needs to be worked on to work.....

Thats why I said to look at Mario , Croydon , and Heat Treatments. You will notice that they all were breaking axles and diffs till they did something.....

There is an actual fix for it. And its got nothing to do with the axles themselves.

I broke a front diff on the street. Launching off the 2 step .

I have taken precautions on the RB R34 to prevent breaking anything in the front.

hipogtr said:
When the factory transmission goes I'll likely go with a HKS 6 speed H-pattern or possibly a sequential setup (if I can accept that it can be used in a street car). Either way its going to be a hassle as there are still no bolt-in beefed up transmissions for the R34. What are planning to go with in the RBMotoring R34 (assuming you are going to need to upgrade at some point)?
Ok - you know I didnt even notice that your car was an R34.....I thought it was an R33 - they break transmissions at 500 hp constantly... Getrag is strong. The synchros are supposedly not. I dont know how strong in a GTR.

The issue is that heavy clutches have problems acclerating and decelerating . That is what one Toyota Engineer in the US told me. So thats why I went with an ATS triple plate carbon/carbon clutch.

As the Getrag is /was not a repairable transmission - a bad synchro meant that you needed to replace the transmission.

I went with the upgraded Nismo shaft as the ATS supported that option - and I was changing the clutch at the same time. The Nismo shaft is larger diameter and supposed to handle 1000ps.

I hope to put about 700 to the tires on the bottle - and that should be plenty to get to where I want to be.

3,666 Posts
Sean,Gio

stock 34 transmissions , yeah the gears are strong but as sean says the synchro,s are weak , we have rebuilt approx 5 34 boxes if you e-mail me sean i will help you out with the parts , we have some manufactered and some come from 2 other car parts lists.
Glen from croydons has broken a number of parts but the weakest thing in the GTR transmission is 1, the out put shafts for the rear diff, 2, 34 front diff due the the tooth numbers 3, the 34 transfer box it has a thinner chain than 32,33 transfers.

the driveshafts just need some de-burring work around the spline ends to remove sharp edges etc and look at the c/v joint,s make sure the balls are free in the cages if not the cages split and the balls fall out. also draw a line on the shafts you can keep a check on the twist. I have heard that the HKS shafts are not that strong.

hope this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Mark, Sean... Thanks very much for your insights on this topic. It is definitely some useful information to digest and can really help in getting things done right the first time.

One related question. How do plethora of big hp Supras in the States (commonly pushing 850+rwhp according to Supraforums) deal with the transmission issue. Understandably, they are only rear wheel drive but surely the "Toyota" Getrag box they run can't be "significantly" stronger than "Nissan" Getrag box. Also, wouldn't the issue of rear diff output shafts snapping (as Mark pointed out) be equally applicable to the Supras (more so considering they typically drag race with "very sticky" rubber on the rear wheels)?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Cya O!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Amazing

To Gio and everyone on this thread I would like to say wow!! You guys overseas ( I'm from Melbourne Australia) are absolutely unreal.
Well done to all of you for such great GTR's.
And to think I thought my stock bottom ended R33GTR was nuts with 275 awkw's was quick.
You have just raised the bar for me.
Thanks. :D

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
hipogtr said:
One related question. How do plethora of big hp Supras in the States (commonly pushing 850+rwhp according to Supraforums) deal with the transmission issue. Understandably, they are only rear wheel drive but surely the "Toyota" Getrag box they run can't be "significantly" stronger than "Nissan" Getrag box. Also, wouldn't the issue of rear diff output shafts snapping (as Mark pointed out) be equally applicable to the Supras (more so considering they typically drag race with "very sticky" rubber on the rear wheels)?!
The Supras with Getrags break driveline . They just dont go bragging about it much on Supraforums.

They seem to break a lot of driveshafts from what I have seen at events with people I know.

They break driveshafts and rear ends due to wheel hop /power.

RWD and AWD are as different as you can be as far as load goes. I have a GMC Syclone/Typhoon . They are ~4000 lb trucks - V-6-4.3liter - turbo - make a lot of torque. We in the Sy/Ty's are able to break trannies with half the amount of power a RWD car runs with it fine. We break parts that they transmission guys say "CAN'T" break. Input shafts , output shafts , all kinds of crazy stuff. All the torque put to the wheels all at once off the line , and things snap. I think in my Sy/Ty life since 1992 I have gone though 9 transmissions, and I haven't even driven them in the last 2 years.

The famous quote for us Sy/Ty guys is "this transmission is in a 900 hp Corvette , and everything is fine" In a 400 hp Sy/Ty - we snap it.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts