GTR Forum banner

321 - 340 of 1623 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
I left the air con in mine. It needed regassing and blew hot air for the longest time :)
Even when I started going more track oriented I never contemplated removing it.
I Should never have gotten rid of that car.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Nismo R32 didnt have aircon (iirc) so its not setting any precedent that the factory hasn't already taken care of.
Richard stated he'd be keeping the parts so can't see why whipping it out would be an issue.

Besides, Its not like the cars stock any more under the bonnet so why should it matter?.

TT

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
gleamingly beautiful! i thought of removing my a/c but did not in the end as mine will be a weekend fast road car anyway. and if i ever plan of selling it, some people might prefer to have the a/c. 20 to 25kgs is ok i think if its a street car unless you are planning of stripping it completely and go to the weight reduction route =)

·
Registered
24,953 Posts
pointless removing it.

keep it in, come the summer you will know why you kept it.

its not going to make a massive difference tbh if you removed it IMO.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Dont know if my aircon was representative of all other R32's but even with a service and recharge it was utter crap!!

At the end of the day its Richards car bought with HIS money and its HIS decision. It comes down to the question of usage and everyone is different in their want/need for aircon. You really need to understand whether YOU would use it and go from there...if yes, then obviously keep it....if no, then rip it all out. Its a huge saving in all the right places...

TT

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Keep it!

A question to other R32 owners... just how often do you actually use the air-con?

I was set on keeping it, it's still there.
But considering that the car is a fun toy, not a daily, and will just be used for the odd blast or a track day I'm wondering if there is enough benefit to removing 20-25kg from the front end.

Is it worth it?

Obviously I'd keep the parts.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Dont know if my aircon was representative of all other R32's but even with a service and recharge it was utter crap!!

At the end of the day its Richards car bought with HIS money and its HIS decision. It comes down to the question of usage and everyone is different in their want/need for aircon. You really need to understand whether YOU would use it and go from there...if yes, then obviously keep it....if no, then rip it all out. Its a huge saving in all the right places...

TT
+1 =)

·
Registered
964 Posts
aircon still on my 32... and in my other cars.... summer in the south of italy is very hooooottttt!

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
I Should never have gotten rid of that car.
Told you so he strikes on another thread!

Took my aircon out courtesy of RK Tuning, get got, drop the window!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
A question to other R32 owners... just how often do you actually use the air-con?

I was set on keeping it, it's still there.
But considering that the car is a fun toy, not a daily, and will just be used for the odd blast or a track day I'm wondering if there is enough benefit to removing 20-25kg from the front end.

Is it worth it?

Obviously I'd keep the parts.
I've had aircon out for the last few years after the compressor failed.
But as our summers (in Australia) get quite hot here (most days +35C) I found I either didn't want to take the car out, or didn't enjoy it as much when I did.

It's all going back in soon when I do my turbo upgrade :D

If you've got lots of cash to spend, Midori has a kit to retrofit the later R34 GTR aircon gear (R134a) into R32s with all the bits you need.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I've had aircon out for the last few years after the compressor failed.
But as our summers (in Australia) get quite hot here (most days +35C) I found I either didn't want to take the car out, or didn't enjoy it as much when I did.

It's all going back in soon when I do my turbo upgrade :D

If you've got lots of cash to spend, Midori has a kit to retrofit the later R34 GTR aircon gear (R134a) into R32s with all the bits you need.
But c'mon....comparing typical UK weather with typical Australian weather ain't exactly giving OP any useful comparison in order to decide what way to go. Obviously the need for aircon in Australia is FAR greater than UK.
I live on the south coast and have to say that in the last, say, 5 years I have probably had the aircon on (in any of my cars) probably 6 or 7 times.....so for ME, aircons a nicety I really don't require.

Additionally, Richard states his intended usage as "Occasional" which, IMHO, lends even more weight to the 'get it out' argument.

TT

·
Super Moderator
31,246 Posts
But
Will the weight difference really make enough difference to warrant it? He's only got to use it on one hot summer day and get stuck in traffic and he will immedietlly regret it. Will it really much that much difference on track esspecially in his first year of owning the car.

Keep it

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Well....25-30kg of ANY car isnt a bad thing.

Its all down to perspective really...there are those who simply could not live without creature comforts and there are those who couldnt give a rats ass if their car has them or not.
Its down to what the OP's individual perpective on these 'creature comforts' are.

Anecdotally.....best mate's dad went into a certan car dealers showroom to spec a new vehicle. Just so happend that we were there too just for the ride. I heard him state to dealer that he wanted sat nav (at £2.5k)....now he was retired and pretty much NEVER ventured outside the town where he lived. I mentioned this to him and his reply was that you never knew when you might need something.. A couple of years later,shortly before he was set to get a newer car i asked him in good humour how many times he had used the satnav.....'once' he replied...'just to see how it worked'!!!!! So, essentially, £2.5k spent for NOTHING.

My point is...Richards R32 has a feature that might be called upon once or twice a year....perhaps not at all!!!! If he was buying brand new and the option was there to spec it or not, would he choose to fit it???

Simple..

TT

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Well....25-30kg of ANY car isnt a bad thing.

Its all down to perspective really...there are those who simply could not live without creature comforts and there are those who couldnt give a rats ass if their car has them or not.
Its down to what the OP's individual perpective on these 'creature comforts' are.

Anecdotally.....best mate's dad went into a certan car dealers showroom to spec a new vehicle. Just so happend that we were there too just for the ride. I heard him state to dealer that he wanted sat nav (at £2.5k)....now he was retired and pretty much NEVER ventured outside the town where he lived. I mentioned this to him and his reply was that you never knew when you might need something.. A couple of years later,shortly before he was set to get a newer car i asked him in good humour how many times he had used the satnav.....'once' he replied...'just to see how it worked'!!!!! So, essentially, £2.5k spent for NOTHING.

My point is...Richards R32 has a feature that might be called upon once or twice a year....perhaps not at all!!!! If he was buying brand new and the option was there to spec it or not, would he choose to fit it???

Simple..

TT

Spoken like a pro

·
R35 Section manager
10,644 Posts
I would keep it for the weight saving it actually saves and if your not stripping the car down for the track its pointless. Plus if you go to sell the car if its wanted for road use the air con will be missed

321 - 340 of 1623 Posts