GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All.
Just been to see a car in the berkshire area. Nice plum red colour, 30k miles, M plate car, good tyres, standard all over, 14k..
My mate who wants one was like sweet car...

BUT:
- Seatbelt tags cut off/seat belts replaced.
- Chassis Number: ECR33-0006. (not BCNR33)

WORST OF ALL:
- Engine number RB25 DET (not RB26 DETT)

Could not believe it when I saw it. Had to look again just to believe it.
Also the chassis number on the baulkhead had been worn off and resprayed.
My estimates are: GTR Non V Spec, Probably stolen, with GTS plates on it. Also had new panels on the drivers side
Poor bloke, I said you should go and see your "mate" who sold it to you.
I was not sure whether I should post this but I would hate to see someone get this and have this happen to them or have the car confiscated.
So you have been WARNED. WALK AWAY.

Nightmares.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Cheers Nick, I'd seen it on Autotrader and been thinking it was cheap enough to spend some money on serious modifying... I was going to call about to today but didn;t get time...

:(

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No worries mate...

Glad to be able to help. Was not sure whether to post it or not.
If I had not gone with my mate I think he would have put a deposit on it.
Just goes to show what is out there.
NLW

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yep, Its not really what I was looking for anyway, just thought at the price why not... I guess you've answered that for me though ;)

Serves as a good reminder...

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Nice one Nick...never can be too careful.

Lucky you went along with your mate...

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
520 Posts
You do right posting it Nick, nice one. Symapthies to the current owner, but people need to be warned. Did you get the reg number?

·
Registered
637 Posts
You are absolutely right to post. Imagine somebody's horror when they find out after they bought it. Well spotted and well posted.

John

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
nwelch said:
30k miles, M plate car

BUT:
- Seatbelt tags cut off/seat belts replaced.
- Chassis Number: ECR33-0006. (not BCNR33)

WORST OF ALL:
- Engine number RB25 DET (not RB26 DETT)

Jeez-us !!

OK, from what I can tell, the Chassis Number ECR, designates a GTS Skyline, the 0006 is a very early 1993 model, like the 6th one produced, defo not an M-Plate (1995-96) hence the seatbelt tags being removed to disguise the age.

RB25-DET is the GTS25T engine so this ties with the GTS thing.

This car has probably been passed of as a GTR, but a simple look under the front arches would reveal a lack of front driveshafts etc. but if it still has the swaged rear arches then it must be a cut'n'shut job.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No it was def

a GTR non Vspec. All the drivetrain, rear and front diffs, RB 26, and other parts were there.
All they have done is taken a GTS vin plate and put it on there, then wiped out the original GTR chassis number from the baulkhead.
Not even a good job as have heard of some much cleverer ones than that.
I smelt a rat as soon as I saw the lack of seat belt tags and then vin plate then confirmed it.
to be honest I thought the owner might have known as made some subtle hints to him and he did not seem that bothered.
Just hope some poor punter does not buy it.
Reg plate was J111 ... the rest is history. The chassis number bgean with 0006 then there were 3 other numbers.

Bad form and just goes to show they are out there.

Nick:smokin:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And another thing...

When asked about the chip then it is still running the JAP chip
AND the guy has been running it on UNLEADED FUEL.
Jesus man, what was the guy on.
Say goodbye to Piston 6.

Nick

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Scary.

If I was ever going to buy a car privately, I would buy one from an enthusiast. And I did :) This is the first Skyline I have heard of being ringed though, I suppose it must happen to every car.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Durzel said:
If I was ever going to buy a car privately, I would buy one from an enthusiast.
I agree. The trick is to come on here, go to meetings and find out who knows their stuff. Just thinking how much Guy knew about your car compared to how little this chap knows about his. Knowledge is everything.
Normal unleaded LOL. surely everyone knows not to use it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Could it just be a heavily modded car with a dippy owner?

When I saw Rich's car it looked more like a GTR even though its a GTS, and a GTS can take a GTR Engine...

Though I can see that the owner would/should have known all of this...

Re unleaded the Garage I got mine off told me it just needed unleaded and get this needed servicing every 9k.... oh and no I dont recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I've laboured the point before elsewhere - but I knew within about 5 minutes of talking to Guy that I'd made the right decision. He was more enthusiastic about Skylines than even I was.

Normal unleaded LOL. surely everyone knows not to use it.
Actually, I did once. Coming from an Astra background I had never used SUL, and Optimax was just a funny word I'd heard banded about. I put one tank of "premium" unleaded in the Skyline after I'd bought it thinking it to be the normal fuel for the car, but after doing a bit more background reading on this board started using SUL instead. Still, live and learn.

If that bloke is running 95 RON fuel on a Jap ECU, well... I pity the poor person who will eventually end up buying the car - he/she is going to have a huge bill coming their way, not to mention a car that could be impounded at any time.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
stormuk said:
Could it just be a heavily modded car with a dippy owner?

When I saw Rich's car it looked more like a GTR even though its a GTS, and a GTS can take a GTR Engine...

Though I can see that the owner would/should have known all of this...
Seems doubtful. The chassis number is completely wrong, its not even the same model car. There's no reason that this would've been changed unless someone was trying to hide the history of the car.

Not withstanding that - if the bloke has been running it on 95 RON with a Jap ECU for any period of time, then he might as well give the buyer directions to the nearest tuners for the complimentary engine rebuild. :(

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Incidentally, here is the offending vehicle.

I'd be interested to see what an HPI check on the plate shows up. nwelch, private message me the plate or something - Im bored at work! ;)

U

·
0 Posts
My numbers...

Just wondering if some of you could help out with my Chassis #, I've been wondering how to "read" these things, we have 17 digit #'s here in the states and I can read them pretty easy, but don't know the code associated with foreign VIN #'s. Heres mine : BCNR33-040624 , Model # GGJPQFR22ZDA-J--- if it means anything.
H.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
chassis numbers

Jap cars have diff chassis numbers to the 100 UK ones that were made.
I have one of the UK ones currently and The UK ones will have 7 digits on them as opposed to 6 for the jap cars.
By the sounds of it H yours does add up as it has "4" at the end and this denotes the last run of the Jap R33 GTRs as well as the model number.
"Heres mine : BCNR33-040624 , Model # GGJPQFR22ZDA-J--- if it means anything"
If you are really needing to check it then I would go to www.separts.co.uk and email mark who runs it, as he has all the details on the Jap R33s and can help you clarify the model, colour and engine type by running a check on his PC.
Sounds fine to me though and you have now worries. Engine number should be RB26 DETT.

Nick

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Friends in Blue

Have you told them ?
Could hellp all of us !

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Out of interest, what did it say on the V5? Surely as the DVLA have to check cars as they are imported (at time of registration), they would be able to pick up the fact that the number wasn't even for a GTR...

That said nothing suprises me, the answer is always check the what you are buying and don't be too tempted by the low price.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts