GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious to know if this combos have approximately the same response with just the difference in hp accordingly, if you had to choose which one would you put in your car???? Any other combination would be appreciated.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The rb30's are way more responsive that any of the smaller capacity engines. There really is no substitute for cubes. I will be putting an rb30 in my car.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dynamix

I have seen the thread earlier and is a big turn on for that 26/30 but still a difficult thing to decide whats the best out of the 2 combos i have put there for my case, i would like the extra torque but psychologically if i put the rb30 i would feel that i have used a transplant than the original thing , plus i don't know if it will be allowed to be registered in Cyprus. My dream plans are something like the z-tune r34 so it can be classic cause i am not planning on selling the car ever, it used to be my dream, after 9 years of being dreaming i got the number 54 r34 gtr bb uk spec its a beauty, now we start a decent tuning!! First i will get the exterior z-tune full bodykit except from the front bumper and lights since i would like to keep that uk spec look as 1 out of the 78 and be proud of , and then it will be the engine, but i have to decide if i will start buying slowly slowly the stroker 2.8 or find the money and get the rips at once.I know that i will spend a lot of money on this super car but its once in a life time, and then just to enjoy so it has to be complete and careful tuning, the car is going to be a weekend car, and i would like to have something thats responsive, i would like to have something like 600hp and a lot of torque thats why i will be using the v cam in either 3.0 or 2.8, plan to rev up to 9000 rpm, and boost 1.4-1.6 . I have to decide soon so people feel free to say your opinion, it will be appreciated .

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I would love to say I have had the opportunity of being in cars running both setups, but I haven't. I do know that a RB30 setup like you described is in a different world of power and response to an equivalent RB26 setup running GT2530s.

I do hear RB28s add a substantial beef up over an RB26, which I would believe given how massive the step an RB30 is over the 2.6s - so I guess the only hesitation I would have is due to the fact you are talking a setup which is "only" 200cc less but is driving turbos suited to >100hp less which is a fair bit less work to do.

I doubt the difference each way would be huge, but why would you do one or the other - if you want maximum possible response with the option of the flow GT2530s provide you should just go RB30 with the GT2530s..... if you want to be able to make near 800 go the GTRS!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
its hard to compair the RB26, 2.8 stroker or RB30, unless someone has time to make all 3 setups, but all engines use exactly same head, turbos, ecu, mapper, rolling road. the list goes on.

its easy to say a 2.8 makes 600bhp on a T51r but a RB30 makes 1300bhp. but unless both cars have exactly the same setup, except the block and bore then its impossible to say.

Im going 2.8 and im sure i wont be dissapointed.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
the car is going to be a weekend car, and i would like to have something thats responsive, i would like to have something like 600hp and a lot of torque thats why i will be using the v cam in either 3.0 or 2.8, plan to rev up to 9000 rpm, and boost 1.4-1.6 . I have to decide soon so people feel free to say your opinion, it will be appreciated .
Now that I have seen what you are actually looking for, you really have an interesting bunch of options you are looking for. GT2530s on the RB30 or possibly even the 2.8, I suspect will choke well before 9000rpm. Usually a turbo match happy to flow to 9000rpm on a particular motor is likely to be less happy to spool at low revs, you are looking at a very wide rev range.

Do you actually own a GTR, or have driven one? Its reading a bit like you're not sure what you would be starting with or what to expect from either - its quite difficult to help someone decide what they are going to end up with if they don't know what the starting point is like and if they even like that.

IMHO if you want something in the spirit of a tuned GTR, are using VCam, a bunch of power and the choice of a bunch of revs then I would be going the RB30 and twin GTRS, at least.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you actually own a GTR, or have driven one? Its reading a bit like you're not sure what you would be starting with or what to expect from either - its quite difficult to help someone decide what they are going to end up with if they don't know what the starting point is like and if they even like that.

Thanks for the input , if you read my post carefully i do own one , and yes i have driven through the hole europe till i got to Cyprus, ( believe me or not it was a very comfortable car to drive for so long ) You are correct i really dont know which way to start engine wise and what to expect from either combo i am just guessing since its the first skyline i have ever driven i have watched a million of videos on youtube but still trying to decide what would be the most enjoyable set up with those specs, the rb30 with gtrs or the 2.8 stroker with gt2530s??? :lamer::D

Thanks for all your inputs!!!

·
Registered
820 Posts
The rb30 will do everything a 2.8 will do and more. They will both rev out to 9k+. The way I see it is the biggest block it the logical choice. The way you want the power delivered will depend on the turbos you use. The 30 will be more responsive than the 2.8 if they are both fitted with the same turbo.

·
Registered
411 Posts
it gets REALLY expensive after 650hp

forged 2.6 with 2530s and 4.111 gears is the best value.

do it :wavey:

or maybe ask if a tuning shop can put together a custom stroker.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to be or not to be my friend souroull, rb30r34 you are one step closer to convince me to go for the rb30 with gtrs combo and an hks v-cam

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vaggelis in Nicosia already have installed one or two he said that he can tune it, and the fcon pro as well , that was something to be worried some time ago but not now, i was going for apexi but after he told me that he has the program i have change my mind for an hks.

·
Registered
820 Posts
to be or not to be my friend souroull, rb30r34 you are one step closer to convince me to go for the rb30 with gtrs combo and an hks v-cam
YouTube - R.I.P.S Stealth bomber 0 - 130mph in 10 sec on 19inch tyres

Here you go mate, this car is running a single t04z turbo. It make heaps of boost by 3k rpm and as you can see it rather fast.
You dont really need a v cam. If you can afford it then go for it but for a street car with the setup your talking about its already going to be an absolute weapon.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a lot of torque thats what i am talking about, the only thing that turns me down is the single turbo , it would be nice to see an rb30 video with gt2530s or gtrs twins

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Why does the single put you out? For what its worth you could have been told that it was running GTRS and you wouldn't know any difference. GT2530s would be the same kind of thing but slower...

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
With twins they are even more repsonsive than this TO4z (still had a bar of boost at 3000rpm), I did a pretty basic RB30 with twins smaller than GTRs's in a R32 and it was even better response and at least as quick as the R34 Stealth bomber in the video so a RB30 with good head work, cams, GTRs's etc would be an awesome combination.

Rob

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that using an RB30 (genuine Nissan) had issues revving past 7000rpm on the stock crank.

2.6 on an R32 and 2530s can be quite a riot as well but you do need to keep the turbos on boil. I've been flogging my car recently and found that yes, as long as you drive like a madman the turbos never really come off boost and it's rather insane on the road...cause once you're on and staying on, it's hard to come off then f
get back on boil, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
1 - 20 of 130 Posts