GTR Forum banner

241 - 260 of 911 Posts

·
Vendor
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
DrGtr i would love it to be around 1000kg's but realistically 1100/1200kgs is do able.

That pro stock gtr looks an awesome car but it's a shame it hasn't turned a wheel yet.

·
Vendor
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #245 (Edited)
Thanks GTR Cook and Michaelstahl

I've been busy again making some fibre glass doors as they will be modified to bring air into the rear quaters also made a mould off my old boot lid and prepared my old bonnet ready for the gell coat which i've applied tonight.

Here's a few pics off it all laid up.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks GTR Cook and Michaelstahl

I've been busy again making some fibre glass doors as they will be modified to bring air into the rear quaters also made a mould off my old boot lid and prepared my old bonnet ready for the gell coat which i've applied tonight.

Here's a few pics off it all laid up.

Its interesting seeing other peoples techniques. Ive messed about with plasticine to match my edges up to the flange and by the looks of it you have used packaging tape. This appears 10 times easier than my method, cant wait to see the finished items!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ahh that looked like packaging tape in the pics (the brown stuff) lol. Will have to give the wax sheets a try, does it adhere to the bonnet well so the resin doesnt seap by?

Take a look at this, looks impressive Method#2- lost foam molding

·
Registered
961 Posts
What thickness sheet wax are you using for the flanges? And, do you find the adhesive backing is strong enough so it does'nt fall away when laying up?

·
Registered
282 Posts
All i can say is WOW Neilo, this is an awesome build. This car is going to look stunning and go like stink lol. You must be a patient man, kudos to you and such a great car. I like the body work that you have been doing yourself :) and great build for all the frame work etc from the engineering firm. Good luck on the rest of the build and would love to come see the car when its in action on the track. Have Fun.

Euan

·
Vendor
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #252 (Edited)
I've used 2mm wax but you can buy it in 1 to 4mm thick, it has a sticky side which i heat up with a hot gun before sticking to the surface which most of the time sticks very well, it's very good stuff as you can bend it anywhere you want when warm.

The foam moulding looks good wade, i've never used it before but i might give it a go with some brake duct i'm planing on making.

Thanks Euan, i think my patience must be getting better as i've still got plenty to do and loving it lol.

·
Registered
904 Posts
hey neilo, have you ever thought of making r32gtr carbon dashes? , i think you could sell a few......ehem......ehem.....hahaha

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Great project! Loving following it! I am also picking up some tips for my next planned project.. not a GTR I might add! and not so extreme but still. Sheet wax for the mould returns is a great idea. I was considering the lost foam idea but using the foam as the mould. Requires more work of the final part surface to get it smooth but pro's and con's for a one off!

Keep up the amazing work. Very inspiring!

·
Vendor
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Thanks for the comments guys:thumbsup:

I should have some updates this week from my fabricator, we hopefully have thought of everything which is needed to go on the car so all the necassary bracketry/supports will be started to be tacked up so we can double check it all fits/works.

I'm looking forward to the removable and replaceable front and rear tube work the idea is everything metal from the front of the shock turrets will be removed and everything rearwood of the rear screen will also be removed except the front and rear chassis legs.

It'll be replaced with some light and one main support tube which will link the front and rear chassis legs [seperatly] and used as one bar supports all idea, it'll be simple to remove and replace if needed:nervous:

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
the idea is everything metal from the front of the shock turrets will be removed and everything rearwood of the rear screen will also be removed except the front and rear chassis legs.
E-mail me, I have some pictures you might be interested to see :thumbsup:

241 - 260 of 911 Posts