GTR Forum banner

RK R34gtr RB30 Carbon race car

484K views 910 replies 213 participants last post by  chodjinn 
#1 ·
I've owned this car for around 5 years know i bought it as a stage one UK R34gtr v-spec which from day one i started modifying, looking back on it perhaps knowing what i do now i shouldn't of started off with such a nice car but anyway this is what happened.

I remenber my first track day at Brands Hatch in my R34gtr was an awesome day but needed some attention with my track craft lol, after i had been on a few GTROC track days abroad and in the uk i was seriously hooked!

As i was getting into track time more and more i thought it would be a good idea to get some tuition and a CATD Driver training day came up with the GTROC. It was the best thing i'd ever done Colin tought me so much in just a short space of time, so i decided to have some one to one tuition with Colin, he tought me more in a few hours which would have taken me months without he's help, worth every penney!

As i was getting into this race car thing i wanted to dedicate my car to the track only as this is where my fun is. I went to see Ron at RK Tuning and instantly i new he was a skyline nut like myself lol, so new he was the man for the job, after a couple of years i've slowly modded the car but now i have my final goal.

I am building my car with Ron [ RK Tuning ] to enter into a Dunlop series, my goal is to create a one off race car which will be competitive in this series, the body work will be full carbon and the engine will be an RK 3.0 so here goes from the start.

See less See more
Reactions: cuzzgtr
#290 ·
Hi

Really nice build on you car. Ill hope all turns out as you expect.:thumbsup:
I have a small question though.

When driving a car with McPerson suspension everyone says double wishbone setup for better geometry during compression, rolls and so on..

You are doing the opposit ??

Im not after all the trix in you book but im still qurious why you went this way.

Regards
Martin
Sweden

#291 ·
Hi Martin
Thanks for your comments! As you said the double wishbone would be better than a single Mcpherson setup but as this setup cost a small fortune a double wishbone was out of my price range.

The setup which has been designed for my car has hopefully delt with the problems a standard/after market setup has, weight, roll centres, caster, camber and chassis rigidity.

But the proof will be in the pudding so we'll have to see.

Cheers
Neil

#297 ·
I think your playing it safe there mate, I have found in the past its actually usually "ALOT", double it, add a bit more, then your close :D

Nice work, keep it up, great to see we're both doing similar builds without either of us knowing about the other untill recently, and one being for drag and the other for track is doubley awesome.

Robbie.

#299 ·
inspirational

Hi Neilo,

I just wanted to drop a quick line as I was the first to start this type of project on this forum. There is only a very limited # of such dedicated from scratch builds, I wish you all the best in finishing it.
I wonder if we ever get the chance to compare the two cars, my GTR32 and your GTR34. Targets are similar, power is similar - should be a great showdown once ready :flame:
We seem to have similar taste too, was talking to Ron about an Inconel Manifold that originally was initiated by you as I understand.
My Trust manifold cracks alot, was looking at your ceramic coated manifold but thought of going Inconel.
Any pictures of the manifold?

Great progress, like the R34 so much :thumbsup:

#302 ·
I just wanted to drop a quick line as I was the first to start this type of project on this forum. There is only a very limited # of such dedicated from scratch builds
Let see yours then :D

#308 ·
Tell me about it fabrication is slow but next week the inconel manifold and titanium exhaust will be started so looking forward to that. I'm on holiday at the moment and so is my fabricator so not much body work going on this week. Thanks for all your cmoments and good to here from you harry.

#309 ·
Went to see my car yesterday to finalise the exhaust and waste gate positioning and had a look at the awesome inconel manifold they've just about finished.

The workmanship is second to none, the precise cutting and welding is a work of art the welding on the inside is nearly as good as the outside!!!

Now we've finalised the position of the exhaust and waste gate they can finish the job off in the next week or so which i'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

My aim is for the tail pipe and waste gate pipe to exit the side of the car through the seals on the pasenger side of the car, the exhaust will exit infront of the rear wheel and the waste gate pipe will exit behind the front wheel. Also i want the whole system to not hang lower than the chassis rails so more floor pan will need cutting away, poor old girl ! lol.

#310 ·
Looks great, my only concern might be the wastegate pipe intergration but it depends on how much power your looking to make.

#312 ·
wastegate

The waste gate pipes are only tacked on in those pics and not in there final position but still will be there or there abouts, i'm only going for around the 800 mark, what problem do you see Rob?

#313 ·
Only that they are comming out at at least 90 degree's to flow which makes it harder for the gasses to exit smoothly.

#316 ·
The block in the car at the minute doesn't look to be an RB30 block, which would be taller then the block you're using for mock up no?? Unless you've accounted for this in your measurements of the holes for the exhaust in the bulkhead and that. Sorry to state the obvious if you have. I love this build, have been subscribed to it for a long time now and always watch it closely. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Best of luck either way!

#322 · (Edited)
sump

LOL Glen, come on you know what a sump looks like.

The mock up engine has a spacer plate in between the head and block which you can see in the pics like the osg 3ltr but this one is an RK 3ltr which also uses the RB26 block.

The external waste gate shouldn't be a problem as Darren and Mark are already using them in the series i'm building this for.

The problem with alot of after market manifold is that they are mass produced and a few small things have been over looked like not using the right bends for the job,bending bends and welding them together under stress which can lead to distortion and cracking.

My manifold has been made where each primarys has been made to fit without any stress or preload before it's welded up and using the correct bends for the job.

#329 ·
1 of 2 x 50mm gates with everything free flowing in both directions:

#330 ·
I understand what you guys are saying about 1 and 6 not looking as free flowing as you might have thought but as greg said [ minifreak ] these guys are designing and making exhaust systems for some of the world leading motorsport cars so i would hope and expect them to come up with the best design they could given the space they have to play with.

I haven't questioned their design but on monday i'll ask them why 1 and 6 are like this as opposed to the more obvious design.

Neil

#331 ·
I haven't questioned their design but on monday i'll ask them why 1 and 6 are like this as opposed to the more obvious design.

Neil
I think that their answer will be to do with keeping all 6 legs the same length. It's gas that's flowing not a liquid so friction will play little part in it. As there are no constrictions, the leg shape will have little bearing on it's ability to clear the waste gases. Just my opinion of course.

Nice build and looking forward to seeing the finished result.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.