GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Wooohooo bring it on, as I drive a co. car mostly, my Skyline would be much cheaper to run. No fuel Tax, would mean cheap fuel, and no £165 VED.

Just come back from Egypt where fuel is 20pence a litre. Think I'll start importing the stuff.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
And you will also get an automatic ticket everytime you travel above 80mph, park on a double yellow line, or use your mobile while car is in motion with this black box. You can't win when it comes to government... :lamer:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
And you will also get an automatic ticket everytime you travel above 80mph, park on a double yellow line, or use your mobile while car is in motion with this black box. You can't win when it comes to government... :lamer:
Not neccessarily, the current speed limits imposed are an safe limit to cover all circumstances. If you had an intelligent tracking system as would be needed to calculate rates, you could relay a very up to date speed limit to all road users. So higher limits for dry, good visibility conditions.
As for automatic fines for parking on double yellows, etc, fantastic. I hate it when people do that. :clap:

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
What about the rest of us that dont have company cars and have to travel round the M25 (or other major motorways for that matter) in rush hour every day ? We're FOOKED :(

Tracking of speed limits etc...bit too much 'big brother is watching' there for my liking !

·
Registered
106 Posts
Gotta say, I am starting to dislike the way things are going in this country. This is introducing big brother in a stealth fashion.

The speed limits are outdated for starters. 80 mph is still too low. There seems to be such an emphasis on speed, but none on driver error.

If this comes in, why do I want/need a Skyline. May aswell get a Micra. What a loada $h!t!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Can they actually squeeze anymore money out of the british public???

"I honestly think road pricing could provide us with a way of managing our roads, of getting more out of it, which must be good for us as individuals as well as the country as a whole.":blahblah: :blahblah: :lamer:

And what the hell is that supposed to mean???

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Ha!!

Ha!!! "...from as little as 2p per mile in rural areas".

The average Joe does 10-12k each year. Even at 2p a mile (which it won't be, I guarantee you) that's £200-240 p.a.

"The transport secretary said the charges, aimed at cutting congestion, would replace road tax and petrol duty."

LMAO No it won't. It'll be mooted as replacing road tax and petrol duty, which is how they'll get it through the front door. It'll undergo various reviews, committe stages and changes until it'll eventually just become a gongestion charge ON TOP OF road tax and petrol duty.

Wake up people - this is just like the introduction of speed cameras. They'll say something all nice and gooey to get you all in agreement in principle, then let it simmer on the back boiler for a while and mutate it into another money-grabbing exercise. Remember the speed camera opposition? All the heavyweight motoring lobby groups stood up (RAC, AA, etc.) and said that they would fight it to the death. Then the Government 'promised' that they would only be sited at accident blackspots, so they all backed down. How many of us on here have been GATSO'd, SPEC'd, TRUVELO'd, PEEK'd, SPEEDCURB'd or WATCHMAN'd at locations that are no more dangerous than a wet newspaper?

It's all about the money. And you can bet your bottom dollar that automated speeding & parking fines will be sat in the wings of this little exercise.

If it IS all about congestion then here's the other question - WHERE THE F**K IS THE STATE-OF-THE-ART reliable, safe and clean public transport system? I had to catch the bus to work for a month or so when my car was off the road and I was sharing it with abusive kids, chewing gum-riddled seats, ignorant and rude fat slobs masquerading as bus-drivers and doddery old people who smell of p1ss and Dettol. It's fine trying to squeeze people off the roads but where the frig are we supposed to do? Squeezing us into the gutter is more like it.

PLUS..... <takes a deep breath> if this is supposed to EASE congestion, how do you think that will work other than making it more expensive to drive your car? Then don't forget that they can charge you more for urban driving - but who defines "urban", eh? The same people who define "accident blackspots", perchance? :mad:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Wooohooo bring it on, as I drive a co. car mostly, my Skyline would be much cheaper to run. No fuel Tax, would mean cheap fuel, and no £165 VED.

Just come back from Egypt where fuel is 20pence a litre. Think I'll start importing the stuff.
I utterly despair when I read such ignorant ill informed B.S like that. So let’s set the record straight shall we?

1. Road pricing will cost up to £60billion to set up and £6billion a year (DfT figures) to administer. Fuel tax costs nothing to collect. When the Gov tries to reassures us with the taxation neutral crap you will know that we will be paying an extra £6bill on top of the £49bill a year we already pay
2. Remember the fuel tax strike? Gordon sh!t himself and has frozen fuel duty ever since. Remove fuel duty and we lose the ability to rein in even a part of Gov excesses. Local authorities will administer RP so the Gov can deny any responsibility for pricing, routes or increases. It will become an over complicated, unaccountable free for all that councils will exploit to the full.
3. As you have been to Egypt you will have missed the many proposals to increase VED to up to £2000. Obviously the DfT hasn’t thought of that one FFS:rolleyes:
4. RP will rely on the Galileo satellite system that is already 4 years late and feckin’ Billions over budget. Who pays for that? We feckin’ do
5. RP will not be used to issue parking / speeding tickets etc. The Spin Doctors can’t afford to have RP tainted with the Speed cam fiasco. For that we have pay-as-you-go insurance, the RP stalking horse. PAYG already uses a black box fitted to your car that records your position and average speed, and therefore you’re driving habits and risk factor. This will eventually lead to accident liability depending on who was speeding (Remember speeding now equals reckless driving).
6. The [email protected] Gov has stated openly that it wants to double the cost of motoring over the next 10 years. How do you think it’s going to do that then?
7. Lastly the current speed limits are designed to be slightly lower then is comfortable to drive because that way they can nail you for 55 in a 50mph limit that used to be a NSL 5 years ago.

Try feckin’ thinking will you, because people like you are the reason why crap like this and Govs in general are inflicted up on us.

:banned:

·
Registered
717 Posts
I utterly despair when I read such ignorant ill informed B.S like that. So let’s set the record straight shall we?

1. Road pricing will cost up to £60billion to set up and £6billion a year (DfT figures) to administer. Fuel tax costs nothing to collect. When the Gov tries to reassures us with the taxation neutral crap you will know that we will be paying an extra £6bill on top of the £49bill a year we already pay
2. Remember the fuel tax strike? Gordon sh!t himself and has frozen fuel duty ever since. Remove fuel duty and we lose the ability to rein in even a part of Gov excesses. Local authorities will administer RP so the Gov can deny any responsibility for pricing, routes or increases. It will become an over complicated, unaccountable free for all that councils will exploit to the full.
3. As you have been to Egypt you will have missed the many proposals to increase VED to up to £2000. Obviously the DfT hasn’t thought of that one FFS:rolleyes:
4. RP will rely on the Galileo satellite system that is already 4 years late and feckin’ Billions over budget. Who pays for that? We feckin’ do
5. RP will not be used to issue parking / speeding tickets etc. The Spin Doctors can’t afford to have RP tainted with the Speed cam fiasco. For that we have pay-as-you-go insurance, the RP stalking horse. PAYG already uses a black box fitted to your car that records your position and average speed, and therefore you’re driving habits and risk factor. This will eventually lead to accident liability depending on who was speeding (Remember speeding now equals reckless driving).
6. The [email protected] Gov has stated openly that it wants to double the cost of motoring over the next 10 years. How do you think it’s going to do that then?
7. Lastly the current speed limits are designed to be slightly lower then is comfortable to drive because that way they can nail you for 55 in a 50mph limit that used to be a NSL 5 years ago.

Try feckin’ thinking will you, because people like you are the reason why crap like this and Govs in general are inflicted up on us.

:banned:

Well said!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Sean take a chill pill, I was joking.

They can't even build a stadium, never mind getting such a scheme off the ground (pardon the pun). This is just yet another gov. brain fart, nothing more. I wouldn't worry too much about it happening in our life time.

Anyway, by the time they get it going, we would have lost all our industry, and turned into a 3rd world country, not capable of paying any taxes at all.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

They can't even build a stadium, never mind getting such a scheme off the ground (pardon the pun). This is just yet another gov. brain fart, nothing more. I wouldn't worry too much about it happening in our life time.

Anyway, by the time they get it going, we would have lost all our industry, and turned into a 3rd world country, not capable of paying any taxes at all.
I like the sound of not paying tax.

Jim27 well said. intresting read. :clap:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

That my friends is why I used the tone that I did. Road pricing is a pan - European deal with Britain as the guinea pigs. That is why it will use Galileo and not GPS. As soon as Galileo goes live RP will become a reality, probably by 2010 - 12. Notice the other political parties are keeping quiet about RP? It suits their purpose to have this in place too. I will leave you as I found you.

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,037 Posts
the current speed limits imposed are an safe limit to cover all circumstances.
The current speed limit, along with braking distances etc quoted in The Highway Code, are based on what could be achieved with a Ford Anglia, the most popular car at the time that the limits were introduced. This was a direct result of certain manufacturers using the recently opened M1 as a test track.

Ever been in a Ford Anglia at 70? Definately not safe.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Europe is terrified that it relies so heavily on the US military GPS system, and the fact that it could be left in the dark so to speak at the flick of a switch. Europe has no control whatsoever on the GPS system, and if a serious war broke out, the US could scramble the codes immediately, rendering the UK military useless. Nevermind the potential aftermath of planes, satelites, etc losing navigation guidance.

The US has said that it will block any GPS style rivals, as it would not be able to control such a system, and wouldn't want other nations having such an advantage.

With this in mind, Europe is trying desperately to drum up non military interest, to avert the attention, and help make the US allow it to go ahead.

Why would nations spend billions on a super toll road? It would take decades for motorists to reach break even on such a scheme. What gov. who might be voted out next year make (with or without such a controversial scheme)make such a long term (and hugely costly) plan if there wasn't an alterior motive?

Never mind an Ostrich, more like fish - hook line and sinker. Don't believe everything you read!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Moleman,
At 70 how much of that breaking distance is the thought and reaction element?

Think about that while you digest that 'lack of attention' has now become the single biggest contributing factor to TA's, according to all the experts.

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,037 Posts
Moleman,
At 70 how much of that breaking distance is the thought and reaction element?
I have no idea. You'd have to ask the Transport Minister at the time who presumably researched and introduced the limits.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts