GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a misfire on my car. Eliminated coilpacks, spark plugs and ignition amp. Was about the check injectors but thought I'd ask Ron if it could be anything else.

He said check the ECU plug.

So I did.

And it was loose

Pushed it in

Now it's running on six

****ing legend

Mook

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Well done Rob!
Do you not have the bolt that holds the plug in Mook?

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. It wasn't done up properly. It had been out for the welding and I think wasn't done up as collecting was a bit rushed. So happy it was such a simple fix

·
Registered
325 Posts
Very common fault with these older cars.
Happens even with a tight centre bolt.
The plug gets a bend from the centre out, so the end pins often don't make contact.
And the end pins are INJ's.
But once the ends are pressed firmly in by hand, even a bent plug seems happy to stay in position.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I went into RK Tuning yesterday and unlike almost everywhere else I've been, ALL the cars in the workshop looked serious.

They so clearly know what they're doing.

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very common fault with these older cars.
Happens even with a tight centre bolt.
The plug gets a bend from the centre out, so the end pins often don't make contact.
And the end pins are INJ's.
But once the ends are pressed firmly in by hand, even a bent plug seems happy to stay in position.
I was stunned. It was running lumpy, touched the plug and it went straight into 6. The other day, my poor brother spent ages swapping coilpacks and plugs over a boiling got engine on a boiling hot day.

He is a legend also - minifreak

·
Registered
325 Posts
Standard procedure.
Start with the easy/simple stuff before moving on to the expensive.
I've also noticed PFc's are more prone to this issue, so I don't use the double sided tape installation method.
I fit original ecu covers so the Fc can be bolted securely.

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh there was no cost. Just unplugged each coilpack to identify problem cylinder. Then Swapped coils 1 and 5 over to see if fault followed the coil, then swapped plugs 1 and 5 over to see if the fault followed the plug.

Was a planning to switch injectors over this weekend until wife told me to ask the Guru first. Lol

·
Registered
945 Posts
Saw a poster the other day that read,

If at first you don't succeed, do it how your wife told you to in the first place.

So annoying when they're right...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts