GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, im considering a set of these in 18"x10" and just wondering what width of tyre to go for 255 is pretty much all i can find online, i would like to go for 265 for a bit of protection but cant find anything other than Pzero rosso's and they are pish/over priced! I would also like to stay above 45 profile as the roads are a bloody disgrace atmo!

Rota Grid Drift Wheels Matt Gunmetal Set Of 4

What are you guy that own them already running them on?

Cheers, Drew

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I have Rota Grid drift on mine, 18x10". I used to run Falken 452's in 265/35/18, but now I have Toyo Proxies R888's in a 285/30/18. I think a 45 profile would be huge!!! They'd look like bus tyres :D

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
255s with a 45 profile on 18" rims will be a problem I'll bet. A known safe size is 265/35R18 and that's 22mm less sidewall that you're proposing. Basically you'll loose 22mm of wheelarch space. Depending on ride height this could be a problem. If you're in an R32 the 'could' becomes a 'will', not sure about the R33/34.

I'd also suggest you run a wider tyre on that rim. Apparently 275/35R18 can work on an R32 and there are plenty of options in that size.

·
Banned
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is an r33 gtr v-spec.

Cheers cliff will give the falkens a try, hope the 35's aint to bad as she is pretty firm as it is with 17" and 50 profile:nervous:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
it is an r33 gtr v-spec.

Cheers cliff will give the falkens a try, hope the 35's aint to bad as she is pretty firm as it is with 17" and 50 profile:nervous:
I found the 265/35 Falkens to be just fine :) Here is a picture of them fitted to the Rota Grid drifts so you can see the profile.......

·
Banned
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea they look mint cliff im just worryed that if i nail a pot hole (which their are pleanty of up here in aberdeen), there aint much rim protection due to the tyre width. Guess i will just have to live with it and put in a claim to my local council if such a thing happens!!!

I feel some overtime coming on! lol!!

p.s. what offset are yours cliff, et15 as the driftworks site suggest?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
So are you saying that 275's or 285's would fit on a R32 ?

Baz :wavey:
There is someone on here who runs 275s so it's possible. Might need arch rolling etc though.

Also worth knowing that not all 275s are equal. The real width of the tyre isn't necessarily 275 where it matters.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The only thing I can say really, is that my wheels are still pretty immaculate after about 10 months of driving on them, and I've found my fair share of potholes, but do drive with my eyes wide open looking to avoid them, more than your average road user :D My profile now is even lower on the 285/30 Toyo's.
These were bought on Driftworks and are an ET15, fit prefectly with no rubbing issues, even on my new wider tyres.

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
So are you saying that 275's or 285's would fit on a R32 ?

Baz :wavey:
Can't see 285's fitting personally...

I found 275 semi slicks on 18x10 rims and rolled arches still rubbed at the front under compression on my old R32.

Used to run 265's on other set of wheels and had no problems with them.

Semi slicks do have a squarer side wall then normal road tires though I guess.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Can't see 285's fitting personally...

I found 275 semi slicks on 18x10 rims and rolled arches still rubbed at the front under compression on my old R32.

Used to run 265's on other set of wheels and had no problems with them.

Semi slicks do have a squarer side wall then normal road tires though I guess.
Sorry should have been more clear - I think 275 is the biggest that would fit on an R32 without silly amounts of work. I guess that 275s would need some arch mods etc to be made to work.

None the less this explains the tyre size differences better than I can, pictures speaking a thousand words and all that:

My new Enkei wheels with Yokos - The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'll probably go for 275's instead of 265's as they would look squarer on a 10" wheel.

Also I think there's a place near me ( Gosport ) that does arch rolling ?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
do you get alot of tramling with 275 on the f
fronts, i would have thought a 265/35 on the front with a 275/30 on the rear would be better?

·
Registered
416 Posts
10j with 285's on a 32 is gona need work. I have 10x18 with 225's on mine and it cleans with only the lip hammered flat. This was on my stagea and my 32 but then i also went to town and cut all my archs and fitted over fenders to get the fit better

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
10j with 285's on a 32 is gona need work. I have 10x18 with 225's on mine and it cleans with only the lip hammered flat. This was on my stagea and my 32 but then i also went to town and cut all my archs and fitted over fenders to get the fit better
Perhaps a silly question but why 225s on a 10" rim? Was it a styling thing or you just happened to have the tyres and wheels knocking about...

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I have et15 9.5j with 255's and they don't rub, though I did have to bend up one of the arch ***** clips from the front wings as they caught slightly on hard cornering, (only very slightly, but I hate tyres scrubbing!).

I've had no problems with a 35 profile, although I would be slightly worried with cheaper cast wheels getting dented or cracking, as I've cracked wheels before. I haven't had any issue with better quality Japanese wheels though, (Advan, Nismo etc).

Alex B

·
Banned
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
that looks bloody stunning same as cliff's, nice garage by the way!

Thanks for the help guys, you have persuaded me! i just want mine in sparkle metalic silver so mite have to get em powdercoated as i dont see them available on driftworks.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/127353-drews-deep-marine-r33-gtr.html
This i what the will be going on to replace my volk's! They just aint big enough, iv just spent £180 on having them powder coated too! suppose they will do for winter.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts