GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
R35 Section manager
11,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rpm clock is sticking on my 1995 Gt-r.

Any easy way to fix this please?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
There have been a few posts about this in the past, but no definitive answer on the cause - you could try removing the clocks and cleaning the contacts on the back. Very easy to do and costs nothing.

·
R35 Section manager
11,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There have been a few posts about this in the past, but no definitive answer on the cause - you could try removing the clocks and cleaning the contacts on the back. Very easy to do and costs nothing.

Thanks
Do the clocks just pop off then?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
yep with a hammer and screwdriver.:D

seriously, so anoying when this happens. mine did it a lot when i first got the car but after a while it just stopped and they have been fine for about a year now.

kev

·
R35 Section manager
11,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So wait for a bit then?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Small posi-drive screwdriver on the plastic trim above the clocks, this then removes to reveal 3-4 more screws that hold the clocks in. Once they are out the clocks can be pulled forward slightly, enough so that you can get behind and remove each of the loom plugs - I find it easier to pull out the right hand side of the clocks first.

Once they are out, on the back of the clocks, find a screw marked TAM, this is the rev counter signal line - trace that back to a plug and make sure that plug is clean.

·
R35 Section manager
11,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Small posi-drive screwdriver on the plastic trim above the clocks, this then removes to reveal 3-4 more screws that hold the clocks in. Once they are out the clocks can be pulled forward slightly, enough so that you can get behind and remove each of the loom plugs - I find it easier to pull out the right hand side of the clocks first.

Once they are out, on the back of the clocks, find a screw marked TAM, this is the rev counter signal line - trace that back to a plug and make sure that plug is clean.

Thanks mate.
So 1.5hrs work or so?

·
Administrator
31,793 Posts
looking through my service histroy, my 33 had a sticking RPM gauge and Abbeys swapped it, so it would appear to be a common issue

mook

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine too!
I've managed to get a replacement instrument cluster to put in but if the fault is that common the replacement might also have a problem.
Not into clocking so does anyone know how to alter the mileometer,- I've tried from the front but can't. (pm me if you don't want to make it public)
Or should I try just changing the rev counters?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Yea not a bad job at all mate.

I have a full cluster here that was the lugs broken off, do i have no problems just sending you the rev counter :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yea not a bad job at all mate.

I have a full cluster here that was the lugs broken off, do i have no problems just sending you the rev counter :)
Do you know if your spare was OK when it was taken out (don't suppose they can be checked without installing them?), I could be interested- just tried mine and it was dead!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Its quite a common problem but they can be fixed. I have done a few in the past and it only takes half an hour and a steady soldering hand.

Richard

·
Registered
180 Posts
Its quite a common problem but they can be fixed. I have done a few in the past and it only takes half an hour and a steady soldering hand.

Richard
Soldering what though?
I have taken the clock out of my spare cluster and it just has a small circuit board on the back.

·
R35 Section manager
11,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorting mine out in the new year-replacing with a used one I think.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Richard

Hmmmm i reckon there may be a dry joint or something that richard knows about here, on my gtr the first on stuck after a week of no use, smack the dash then ok, bought a 2nd hand one was ok then took it 7.5/8k with a rs6 one day and now its has silly moments, would love to know what ths score is here.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts