GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering where most people have their redline set?
Ive got a single turbo R33 and the only stock thing on the engine is the crank pulley, currently revving to 9.5k
Nakamura from Trial in japan said that was fine, so im just wondering what kind of redline people with similar set ups are looking at...

·
Registered
720 Posts
what is your block [early r32, n1, RRR etc] ,piston,crank,conrod make? and your full oil system? do you have a ATI or HKS crank damper? double valve springs?

if you have all the top grade parts, Trial is well respected tuner - i take it you bought the car direct from his garage in japan?,

although you may need to strip down the engine to inspect it every 6 months or 10,000 miles [often as possible] if you rev to 9500rpm 'fairly' often to check for wear.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
n1 block, crank is custom tomei if im not mistaken, tomei rods, tomei pistons, with a trust sump and a tomei oil pump, i do indeed have double valve springs tomei once again.
i dont have a crank damper yet, thinking ati when i go for one...
actually i didnt, the car was built in cyprus, where i live when im not in the uk. it just so happens that there is a trial tuning branch in cy now, and one day when Nakamura was paying a visit i went and talked to him about it.
engine has only done about 2k miles since being broken in and tuned, and rarely gets pushed past the low 8k range, only in the odd angry racing moment.
Nakamuras opinion was that with the stuff i had on the car it was plenty safe revving up there as long as im not doing it every day etc which to be fair makes sense :) and he said not to be shy with oil changes, while also throwing in something about trials oils :)
i was just curious as to what redlines other people with single turbo gtr's are looking at that drive them on the street as well...

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I would consider it CRITICAL to get an ATI damper installed if you're revving that high. Unless you like crank wobble and cracking your oil pump...

How much valvetrain work was done? did you get phosphor bronze valve guides? Assuming the bottom end is perfectly balanced, you still need the head to be able to spin that fast. I had a lot of balancing work done, and when I took my car to 9500rpm, I think my head didn't like it much.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
absolutely everything that can be done to an engine was done to it
the car has probably gone to that rpm about twice though tbh
Its currently in a friends garage and hasnt been driven in 2 months, thinking about selling it, cant decide though

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
There's no point in revving any engine much beyond peak power RPM unless it has disastrously bad gear ratios behind it. 9500 is a HELL of a lot of revs for a long and wobbly straight six crank in a production block. As someone else has said, loads V RPM are exponential, so no point in turning needlessly high revs. You need an accurate dyno print out to make a more educated assessment of where a sensible RPM limit may lie.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
depends on how big that single is...if it's big enough, 9500rpm may just be in the middle of the powerband!

I reiterate - you could have done everything to your engine, but without an ATI damper it'll all come to pieces. I've got a cracked stock damper now serving as a doorstop and $15,000 in engine rebuild receipts to prove it!!!!

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
totally off topic, Chris...in Korea there's an 8 second Matiz - 2.7 liter twin turbo Hyundai Tiburon engine mounted where the rear seats were. Betcha never thought your Daewoo could run 8s!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
totally off topic, Chris...in Korea there's an 8 second Matiz - 2.7 liter twin turbo Hyundai Tiburon engine mounted where the rear seats were. Betcha never thought your Daewoo could run 8s!
If the bloody thing plays up again it'll do a run over a cliff. What a pile of crock it's been :) I keep leaving it unlocked at the pub but no one deigns to nick the thing.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I would have thought when it was tuned it would have have the rev limit set in the ecu.
Whats the dyno sheet look like
My engine does not drop off at all...ie pulls to the rev limiter...
Cool eh.
What Chris said.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
checked with my mechanic, rev limit is at 9k on the Fcon, not 9.5k i dont know why i thought it was 9.5k, its been too long since ive driven it...
as far as pulling to redline, it did indeed GT-R Glenn :D running a t76 at 1.5bar :) i think im gonna make it a bit tamer if i end up keepin it though, its a bit too extreme right now...
as for that daewoo... got any pics/videos? :D

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I'll see, it was a couple years ago when that car went around putting supercars to shame, but it's obviously not street legal (but then again, technically, I've made my Skyline not street legal with all the mods I've done - cops aren't very picky about that sort of thing in Korea).

If you were looking at your tach you would have seen 9500rpm when the engine was in reality spinning less than that. The tach is very optimistic, which is a good thing.

With my relatively small 2860-5s, I have no letup in power....what I do have is a letup in guts to rev higher!!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Mine is set a lot lower than that. Last time I destroyed the engine was overrevving caused by changedown in the curves, though, not change up. Got a bent valve as a trophy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
street legal and what is driven on the street is relative, i can relate with mine and the way the cops are in cyprus...
but yeah, tried to not look at the tacho, bounced around 9k apparently, still quite alot though.
ill keep that in mind about the downshifting though Thrust

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
yep, a bad downshift will take your engine past the limiter as it's the wheels pushing the engine, not the throttle.

I now make a rule not to drive in anger, if I have my ATS silencer on. Because the car is so much more quiet, I found that I rev higher, and there's no need to go past 8000, 8500 at the absolute maximum. With my straight open pipe though, the deafening roar works just as well as a shift lamp :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts