GTR Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The last comment on that video said it all, Nismo designed the block to be used for circuit racing applications at 500bhp.

Apart from having an extra 1mm in deck height everything else was the same wasn't it? Not much of an improvement in design. But if that's what they thought was required then who are we to argue??

I think we should all watch the other video these guys posted up of the RB vs 2jz that will ruffle some feathers further

Everyone knows the 2JZ is far superior in comparison to the RB. But doesn't mean they were in superior cars :chuckle:

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Correct.

Stop the oil pump shitting itself. A shorter crank collar that drives the oil pump can break with high revs. Oil pump shits itself, engine shits itself, bank balance shits itself.

Sump baffle.

New oil pump.

Keep oil level high.

Oil cooler (keep the oil healthy)

Keep revs below 7800-8k.

Drive.
What's up with all the hubbub about head oil drains, head oil restrictors, and cam cover baffles?

·
Registered
792 Posts
What's up with all the hubbub about head oil drains, head oil restrictors, and cam cover baffles?
Restrictors and drains are generally for higher powered cars with uprated oil pumps that pump more oil around...oil can get stuck up in the head and therefore starve the bottom end/pickup when pushing it. For a road car with moderate power...I wouldnt bother.

The plan for mine was not to go beyond 450 whp so a drop in baffle is sufficient.

All depends what/how the cars going to be used. Plan what you want to do with it then get what you need.

Cam cover baffles are just an unnecessarily expensive add on imo. Throwing all the parts in the catalogue wont always help....brands just want you to think having it is better than not having it.

I call people who buy aftermarket everything just for the sake of it 'spec-list junkies'. Assuming aftermarket is better just because.

One example of this is people forking out the best part of £1000 for R35 coil upgrades for rb26 when in reality the Nissan oem rb26 coils will easily handle 550 whp but....Oem doesnt sound as blingy as aftermarket on the spec list.

Thats my perspective anyway.

The next person can come along and say Im talking out my anus.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Correct.

Stop the oil pump shitting itself. A shorter crank collar that drives the oil pump can break with high revs. Oil pump shits itself, engine shits itself, bank balance shits itself.

Sump baffle.

New oil pump.

Keep oil level high.

Oil cooler (keep the oil healthy)

Keep revs below 7800-8k.

Drive.
Long nose vs short nose. Makes no real world difference at all both do the same damage.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Restrictors and drains are generally for higher powered cars with uprated oil pumps that pump more oil around...oil can get stuck up in the head and therefore starve the bottom end/pickup when pushing it. For a road car with moderate power...I wouldnt bother.

The plan for mine was not to go beyond 450 whp so a drop in baffle is sufficient.

All depends what/how the cars going to be used. Plan what you want to do with it then get what you need.

Cam cover baffles are just an unnecessarily expensive add on imo. Throwing all the parts in the catalogue wont always help....brands just want you to think having it is better than not having it.

I call people who buy aftermarket everything just for the sake of it 'spec-list junkies'. Assuming aftermarket is better just because.

One example of this is people forking out the best part of £1000 for R35 coil upgrades for rb26 when in reality the Nissan oem rb26 coils will easily handle 550 whp but....Oem doesnt sound as blingy as aftermarket on the spec list.

Thats my perspective anyway.

The next person can come along and say Im talking out my anus.
Nissan OEM coils when 25+yrs plus old begin to fail. This very thing happened to me on the dyno. Rather than spend per genuine Nissan coil at £70 I decided to go for the R35 coils, you increase ignition efficiency and also get better combustion. Not only this you get rid of the ignitor also at the same time replacing the crispy 20+ yrs old loom also.

Cam baffles are not a waste of money if you understand how they work it is worth doing even on a stock car. Let’s be honest we don’t drive these cars around like grannies.

Oil Restrictors to the head are a good idea. Stock size is 2mm even on a stock rebuild worth going 1.5mm on OEM pump or 1.25 on an N1.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nissan OEM coils when 25+yrs plus old begin to fail. This very thing happened to me on the dyno. Rather than spend per genuine Nissan coil at £70 I decided to go for the R35 coils, you increase ignition efficiency and also get better combustion. Not only this you get rid of the ignitor also at the same time replacing the crispy 20+ yrs old loom also.

Cam baffles are not a waste of money if you understand how they work it is worth doing even on a stock car. Let’s be honest we don’t drive these cars around like grannies.

Oil Restrictors to the head are a good idea. Stock size is 2mm even on a stock rebuild worth going 1.5mm on OEM pump or 1.25 on an N1.
Any recommendations for cam baffles? Seems like there's a few different ones out there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been asking about baffles on another thread. Feels like the reimax version maybe the way to go as the mesh is metal so won't break down. A friend of mine running a 600bhp R34 mentioned these to me immediately when I said I was jumping into an R32

41 - 55 of 55 Posts