GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2008 audi rs4 avant. I am very pleased with it and love the power, stability and cornering. I am especially impressed with the carbon ceramic brakes.
I have been thinking of swapping my audi for a gtr for some time now. I have never driven a gtr so really have no basis of comparisson.
Is there anyone out there who has driven both cars and can tell me how they compare?
I am especially interested in the quality of brakes.
Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a RS4 for 2 years as my daily driver and loved the car, build quality, poise, understated looks, engine etc. But it cannot compare with the GTR as the GTR is in another league altogether. I cant compare brakes as I didnt have the ceramic option on the RS4 but have to say mighty impressed with GTR brakes on the road. As usual though you may want to upgrade if visiting tracks on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I tested RS4 saloon (not on ceramics) before deciding on the GTR. I much prefer the engine & transmission, but the running costs are higher, the ride is firmer, diffs are tighter, it is more tail happy, probably less stable in very wet condtions (although tuning with nearly double the torque of an RS4 on tyres that are happiest in the dry is not a sane comparison) and you get more noises generally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys.
I will be very sad to see my rs4 go but if im moving to better what the hell.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If your just comparing performance there's no comparison, a work mate who has one couldnt believe the gtr when i took him out and he always now says he thinks his car feels so slow and wished he'd never been for a ride :D

My best mate just bought a new RS6 and straight line wise the gtr mullers it up to about 120 pulls about 50 metres from a rolling 20 mph start the gap then stays constant to about 160 ( he's got a long driveway ! ) and straight line speed isnt the gtrs thing its the twisties where this thing still boggles my mind nearly a year later ( as im sure you know anyway )

Other comparisons may go in audi's favour

N

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a B7 RS4 as my daily driver for over 2 years, and I loved it to bits. When I bought the GT-R I worried that I'd miss the RS, but about two weeks into GT-R ownership, someone at work asked me whether I missed the RS and I realised that I'd honestly forgotten all about it. Since getting the GT-R I have not even once wished that I still had the RS4. Don't get me wrong, the RS4 was brilliant, but the GT-R is so much more car. And since I've had my GT-R it's pretty much been either raining or snowing and that's when the RS4 was at it's strongest and the GT-R at its weakest, so come the summer's dry roads I'm sure the difference will be even greater.

The RS4 basically had two talents; totally stable and grippy in the wet and a sound to die for. The GT-R has lots of talents; trick gearbox, lots of grip, lots of speed, great looks, more up-to-date gadgets etc. Ironically, it's weakest points are probably its grip levels in the wet (which aren't bad, they're just not epic like you'd expect) and the noise (which is easily solved with the appropriate guttering). For me, the strengths far out-weight those two weaknesses.

Jon

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've also owned both (the GTR currently). My RS4 B7 was a 2006 car, saloon, without the ceramic brakes - not that there was anything wrong with the standard brakes! The Audi was beautifully built, understated but muscular, and great sound (especially after the small mod to permanently open the gates on the exhaust).

It also had good levels of grip, although to be honest I was a little disappointed with the understeer, and the fact that it ALWAYS felt like a big heavy car in the corners.

The GTR is much lither, feels a lot quicker both in a straight line and in the bends. Also loads more gagdets to fiddle with ;0)

What it really came down to though is that in the end, I got rid of the Audi because I found it a little dull. I know this is sacrilege, because it was a great car - but when you consider I swapped it for a TVR Sagaris, you'll know what I mean.

Get the GTR - you won't look back.

cheers
DaveR

·
Registered
27 Posts
It also had good levels of grip, although to be honest I was a little disappointed with the understeer, and the fact that it ALWAYS felt like a big heavy car in the corners.

The GTR is much lither, feels a lot quicker both in a straight line and in the bends.
I'd agree with all of that, the RS4 would understeer first and needed to be provoked into oversteer. It did also show its weight (which isn't a lot less than a GT-R) more than the GT-R does.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2p i previously had an avant loved it but not in the same league as gtr for example look what the mags put up aganst it 911 turbo, r8 v10 and still comes out on top "practical supercar" imo :thumbsup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Had my V8 RS4 Avant for 3 years and loved it. But GTR in different league performance wise, in the dry at least. Through the winter I have missed the wet weather grip/stability of the RS4, but nothing else. And the Sat Nav/iPod is miles better if you have to sit in traffic too. Some choice pieces of carbon have also lifted the interior ;-)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hi.

Went form a 2006 RS4 saloon to the GTR and performance wise there is no comparison.

The Audi did have a slightly better interior feel about it but that aside I really have not missed it one bit!

The GTR feels much bigger but its power is amazing! Go for it!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What a good choice to face!

i have only ever taken an RS4 for a test drive which i loved, but not for enough time to compare against the GTR. All be it i'm bias, but nothing can compare to a GTR anywar :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Audi are built now ar better then most BMs and Mercedes but for performance and hadling i dont think you could put the GTR in the same league as the RS4 but on the other hands servicing and running the GTR will cost you a hell of alot more if used to the max.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts