GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having heat problems with this weather or is it just me ?

Problem: When driven quick ish with the aircon on it gets allmost to the top of the temp guage, it also does this when driven fast for more than 10 miles or so. If I run the heater full blast it keeps it in check a bit better.

I have checked the waterpump, Changed the thermostat and viscous coupling, checked the system for blockages (all looks clean) there is no real water loss (about a litre a month if that) pressure cap is a new 1.2 bar nissan one, Electric fan is working, Belt to water pump is newish and tensioned ok, there is no air in the system.

Anyone have any ideas what else to check ? Am I missing something ?
Is there any way to check the viscous coupling I have fitted is working ok ? It doesnt seem much better than the old one from what I can tell, Coupled with the fact that the temp goes down with the heater suggest the radiator or fan to me.....

Also, The turbo pipe to the intercooler was restricted a bit, so I have altered that to see if the turbo working to hard was causing the problem, It seems to have helped a little.

Turning off the aircon and driving steady brings the temp back down, but very slowly.

Might pop to my MOT place and have the probe in the rad to see if the head gasket is on the way....

Any suggestions welcome...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Check for an air lock.....

When you stop next time it does this, pop the bonnet

Listen for any bubbling sounds, if it sounds like a kettle boiling under the bonnet you have an air lock

To fix this, remove the radiator cap(be very carful when doing this)

Then leave the car running, check the water in the rad

And top up as you go, until it is full again(takes around 10 mins)

Once full the water will stay at the top of the rad, put cap back on

It may not be this, but it is a possibility

Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does do the boiling sound, but only if I switch off while its really hot, So I figured it was just the water boiling, It doesnt do it if I let it cool down first.

Thanks for the suggestion I will give it a go, Might set up a header tank too and see if I can clear it that way...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Marky_GTSt said:
It does do the boiling sound, but only if I switch off while its really hot, So I figured it was just the water boiling, It doesnt do it if I let it cool down first.

Thanks for the suggestion I will give it a go, Might set up a header tank too and see if I can clear it that way...
From my small amount of experience, thats an air lock

And a very easy and cheap thing to sort out...thankfully :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its there on the GTSt too, I have bled through this but got no air out..... So if there is any it must be trapped elsewhere.

·
Registered
916 Posts
You say you use a litre of Water a Month...................that's not right!! It sound to me like you have a semi blocked rad, a dodgy Rad Cap, or a weepy Head Gasket. Remember, if your Gasket leaks from water jacket to cylinder, you wont get a water oil mix.

When she's at normal temp, try and squeeze the top hose, it should compress fairly easily. If it feels solid, the system is becomong pressurised.

Regards

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The system doesnt pressurise I have allready had a squeeze round, And I get no bubbling from the rad with the cap off and the engine running, But I also know that this doesnt allways mean the head gasket is good, i dont mind if its gone as I was going to upgrade anyways.

I thought about an oil cooler (which im going to get) but the car was fine and now its not, so somethings gone wrong and before I start cranking up the power I think I need to find out what, else this will come back to haunt me later :)

Should get time this weekend to have a look, But my guess is head gasket. Though Im still not convinced the viscous coupling is any good (no whooshing sound from the fan and im sure it used to be quite loud) Could do with borrowing a known good one as im not bothered about buying another one just in case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts