GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys and girls,

Im looking into getting an R33 GTR but am getting worried about running costs after seeing things recently about prices, such a 3k for exhausts, 800 for discs, very expensive alloys and tyres.

I also know that this board gives an artificial bad impression too though, as you will post about a problem but no one posts everyday to say the car is running fine.

Can anyone give any figures (roughly) on what I can expect it would cost to run an R33 on servicing and parts per year, set up at 1 bar boost, doing 10k miles. No trackdays, but maybe Santa Pod. Would have no further mod plans than 1bar, air filters, exhausts etc.

I know I can afford to buy the car etc etc, but need to be prepared for all the other costs involved and lately ive been more and more worried.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
would like to help mate, but have just bought mine and its already in a thousand pieces at Abbey, so I wont be giving you a good picture!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
tigger,

well thats already gave him a bad picture, you could at least pretend and say its like that to get heavy mods:p

·
Registered
997 Posts
Lee,

I would stick with the GTi-R mate,there`s too many GT-R`s in West Sussex already,common as muck!;)

On a serious note,good hunting it`s a bit of a mine field out there.

Henry.:smokin:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Mine feild ?

Not if he buys mine !:D ;)

Seriously though the running costs are not much more than a fast road car .A service if I'm not mistaken is 200-300 squid .

The trick is to get a good'en from the onset and then have it serviced regularly and don't redline it too often ! Just give 'er loads of tlc , oil , and polish .They are virtually bullet proof if not modded and maintained to high standards.
We have an ol.......a young man on the board with a luverlly 32 with I believe 120k miles + with over 400bhp and the car is just run in .Believe mate I've been in it but he wouldn't let me drive........something about black stuff he said.........

Don't worry mate . Find a good'en . Buy it. ENJOY it .

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replys to everyone

Tigger - that really doesnt help my confidence!!! Hope its nothing serious. I dont think I could afford to spend out on the car and then have any major work straight away, which is what scares me.

Henry - Theres not that many in Sussex, not that I see anyway. Far less common than the Pulsar, which I see a few of everymonth. Anyway, wouldnt it be nice to see another one.

Paul - you car looks nice, but id really be after one with a few basics already done, like exhaust, air filter and running at a bar, as its easier that way and thats how most seem to be. I wouldnt want a silver slug now would I :p

Anymore comments from anyone?

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
lee. the sunny has been to abbey 3/4 times and has cost me over 700 just to sort brakes and some other small stuff so it aint good on that front either....but top marks to mark for helping over easter!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sunny

Ive had mine there a couple of times, but apart from the basics it hasnt cost me anything - 100% reliable, but it is completely standard.

Im not wanting to tune it as it just doesnt make much financial sense on a car worth about 5.5k. Id soon have spent more than that to get it anywhere, hence id rather change the car.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GTS

No offence to the owners here of the GTS, but it would have to be a GTR (although with the sun out a Griffith seems a good choice today).

Was just seeing if I could get a gauge on the cost of things.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Lee,

I think you're worrying too much, and I think an unfair picture has been painted a bit here. :)

So long as you look after it, nothing should really go wrong. Servicing generally costs between £200-£300+, the tyres are good for 8000-11000+ miles. The only things you need to watch out for are the usual performance car (and indeed any car) points like not doing too many traffic light dashes with the standard clutch, etc.

I don't honestly think there's anything that serious for you to worry about, and as long as you ensure the car you want to buy has had a good life, and more importantly a good service history, then you shouldn't be too concerned.

Fuel economy can be a bit of a bitch (excuse my French) but since you have a GTi-R already it shouldn't be a great shock.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Durzel...

Thanks for the reply, but isnt yours also off the road at the moment???

Your views are appreciated though, as I know youve only just got it so are in a good position to give a view.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fuel

From the people I spoke to and from messages on hear fuel actually seems to be better than my GTi-R, which is nice, although im sure ill knock that down a bit :D

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I can't really disclose why mine's off the road at the moment, but it's certainly not for repairs. I did have a problem with my 4WD lamp coming on, but the problem just disappeared! Even the experts at TuningJapanese were unable to reproduce it, and the ECU wasn't reporting any problems. Weird.

Ok, I've probably scared you know. :)

To be perfectly honest, I was (am) in exactly the same situation as you when I bought my Skyline. I basically had enough dosh to buy it, and then be skint for a few months. I wouldn't have been able to afford anything major anyway, but fortunately Im close to work so I can live without a car.

Like I said - I honestly don't believe you would have any problems with a GT-R to be honest, certainly nothing extraordinary anyway.

Go for it! :D

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
What tigger says is true also. Very true.

When I bought mine I convinced myself I would be happy with it as it is, and I was. For a bit. That's kinda part of the reason I haven't got it at the moment (all will be revealed at a later date).

The odd thing about Skylines that seems to be different than any other car I've experienced (either as a driver or a passenger) is that it just cries out for more. When you drive it all you can imagine is how much faster it can be - even though its amazingly fast as standard. Get one and try driving it at 70 and you'll see exactly what I mean. :D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Durzel,

Ever so slowly letting the cat out of the bag...

I wonder how long you can keep quiet now, especailly as people are bound to ask.

As for mods, I know everyone seems to say this, but im sure id be more than happy for some time at least.

Ive managed before with my other cars not to mod untill something needed replacement, at which point it made sense to upgrade.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I definitely reckon you should get one if you can - modding or no modding.

You sound like you were in exactly the same position as I was before I bought mine, and I was making an even bigger step retrospectively (from an 8v Vauxhall Astra GTE).

The only things you really need to concern yourself about I suppose are servicing costs, as these are part and parcel of the car. Everything else, like any car, is down to Sod's Law. I suppose the only thing different is that being a car packed full of electronics and expensive equipment, there is technically more than can go wrong - but that, unfortunately, is a risk you take with any car.

Best of luck :smokin:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
skylines

THE COLD AND FRIGHTFUL TRUTH IS THAT THEY ARE UNRELIABLE WHEN TUNED HARD IF NOT LOOKED AFTER, YOU WILL LOSE ANY GRIP ONLIFE YOU HAD BEFORE OWNING YOUR SKYLINE AS YOU START TO LIVE, BREATH, EAT AND SLEEP SKYLINE FOREVER AND THEY ARE A HUGE MONEY PIT WHICH IS NEVER ENDING AND SUCKS YOU DRY.

YOU KNOW WHEN THE CAR IS THE RIGHT HORSEPOWER FOR YOU WHEN YOU PUT THE HAMMER DOWN AND IT SURPRISES YOU EVERYTIME. IF THE CAR YOU WILL BUY DOESNT SURPRISE YOU THEN EXPECT TO SPEND LOTS OF MONEY TO FOREFILL THIS NEED IN YOUR LIFE.

OVERALL : A HUGE MONEY PIT THATS WORTH IT IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.;)

HOPE MY WORDS OF WISDOM HELP.

DIRK:smokin:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts