GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...

Last year I owned a TVR Griffith 500, and whilst the car was beautiful, it fell apart and cost me a fortune in running costs. Hence I'm a little more wary now! (serves me right for having a TVR i suppose).

Could you all give me an indication of how much the running costs (servicing, tyres etc.) are and how reliable (BE HONEST!) the Nissan Skyline GT-R is?

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
534 Posts
Running costs

GT-Rs are very reliable ... If you don't tune it, it would probably last forever !

Tyres are circa £150 a corner (depends on what you like) and servicing is probably £500 - £1,000 a time.

What's expensive is tuning it :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Reliability

Andy

Very reliable is I can say. In 2.5 years and 16k miles, I have not yet had a single thing go wrong with my R33. Regular servicing by Abbey has I'm sure contributed to this reliability.

Admittedly the car was standard until fairly recently (owing to being still under warranty) but I still do not anticipate any problems after since upgrading to approx 370bhp.

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good.

How often do they need servicing? And how old are your respective cars - both in years and mileage?

Sorry for the gestapo type questioning, but I want my next car to last a number of years (hopefully) ;-)

Andy

·
Registered
534 Posts
GTRs

I had an R32 that did >80k miles without major mishap (apart from tuning related) and an R33 that got to about 30k miles and it never ever went wrong and now I have an R34 at 16k miles that's been 00% perfect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, beats TVR hands down then ;-) (even though that's not's difficult).

How many miles are there in between services?

What sort of price am I looking at for an early R33?

Thanks for the replies!

Andy.

·
Banned
349 Posts
I had a 32 for 30,000 miles and had no problem and now have a 33 which I have covered 40,000 trouble free miles.

The secret is OIL and letting the car warm up properly before using the power and then allowing it to cool down before switching it off. Skylines need (in my opinion) good sythinthetic oil changes every 3 to 4 thousand miles plus you should always make sure that there is sufficent OIL in the car. For example, if you did a track day with only 4 litre's in the car (it takes 5 and a bit) when cornering hard and pulling almost 1G the valve seats opposing the cornering forces would be momentarily starved of oil therefore increasing engine wear and shortening the life of the engine. I know off one particular gtr member who blew his engine doing just this who shall remain nameless!

I have a 34 on the way so my 1996 twin airbag late model 33 is looking for a new home, call me Jamie Martin on 0207-483-5700 and I'll give you the specification.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Reliability

Hi there,

GTRs are very reliable. My R34 is over 2 years old now(10kmiles) and the only thing that has gone wrong was a flat battery wich was caused by a defected CD changer rather than anything to do with Nissan. As long as you respect service intervals and keep the engine oil changed at regular intervals it will just run forever!!
As with any other car, especially at this level of performance, as soon as you start modifing bits here and there you might run into some problems.

Best of luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies again guys.

Well, they sound pretty bulletproof, in stock form anyway but I think I'll probably get a little bored of that after a while and start some tuning of my own.

I'm a contractor in Central London at the mo, so there's little point in owning a car, but my contract's up next month so if I get a contract outside London then I'll be investing in a nice new machine ;-)

Cheers,

Andy

:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.