GTR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently own an E34 M5, but due to personal circumstances, need to get something cheaper to run.

The M5 is horrifically expensive (£3.5k per annum in tyres and servicing alone! - for 20,000 miles).

I've always lusted after an R32 GTR, but what are these cars like to run as daily drivers?

Fuel economy? Servicing costs? And just as importantly, what are the BIG issues with regards to stuff going wrong?

(Biggest worry with M5 is the electronic dampers which are around £600 per corner plus fitting!)

Cheers,

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
I have a "Stage 1" R32.
Doing 400 miles a week for work I have to fill up three times at £40+ a time [I never let the car go below a quarter tank though] with Tesco 99RON. Every fourth tank is Optimax.

Servicing is not so bad. Oil change every 3000[ish] miles.

Stuff going wrong. In MY experience [rear turbo went], never will cost you less than a thousand pounds [usually a lot more].

If you are going to drive one every day, I would say stick to a mildly tuned example. Source one for sale [on here] by a UK buyer who has done all the upgrading or search on here and buy from an importer with a very good reputation.
Please, please, please take an impartial advisor and a mechanic with you when the car is checked out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you're looking for a cheaper car to run than an E34 M5 I don't think a GTR is for you. It will probably use more fuel, higher maintenance costs, shorter service intervals, group 20 insurance, more to go wrong. I average 18mpg day to day and that's taking it easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts