GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew the engine in my skyline a while back, and its now at the stage of where its booked into get mapped in the middle of August, so I've now got to run it in, but I'm after a bit of advice:

1) How many miles are needed to be done?

2) Do you have to do a certain precedure? i.e. boost/no boost? high revs?

3) The engine has changed considerably, not only was it rebuilt with Tomei pstons, H/G, etc... but it also had fitted aftermarket cams, bigger turbo, greddy plenum, bigger injectors, bigger thottle body, etc... So does anything need to be done to the Apexi Power FC for the run in? Reset maybe?

Any help would be really appreciated

Thank you

Ade

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I am not fully qualified but this is what I know......

Running in will be at least 500 miles pref 1000 would be better

Try to keep the revs below 2500 rpm

But dont run it at low revs in a high gear(hence 4th gear at 1000 rpm etc) this puts a strain on the engine

Also looking at what you have changed.....

You will need to have the car mapped somewhat, for running it in

The settings for the pfc are only for standard injectors etc

It will need a rough map for running in, then re-mapping once you have covered the miles

I hope this helps :thumbsup: :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
R33-Drifter said:
I blew the engine in my skyline a while back, and its now at the stage of where its booked into get mapped in the middle of August, so I've now got to run it in, but I'm after a bit of advice:

1) How many miles are needed to be done?

2) Do you have to do a certain precedure? i.e. boost/no boost? high revs?

3) The engine has changed considerably, not only was it rebuilt with Tomei pstons, H/G, etc... but it also had fitted aftermarket cams, bigger turbo, greddy plenum, bigger injectors, bigger thottle body, etc... So does anything need to be done to the Apexi Power FC for the run in? Reset maybe?

Any help would be really appreciated

Thank you

Ade
hi ade i have just run my 32 gtr in,i did 250 miles of driving with no sustained long motorway driving,lots of gear changes and different rpms,my power fc rev limit was set to 4,000 rpm,used mineral oil,so the rings would cut into the bores and create a good seal,then changed to semi synthetic for another 250 miles,then another 200 miles on fully synthetic oil...then had it mapped properly...
you will def need to get it mapped to run the new injectors and bigger turbo etc etc,then remapped when you are run in...
have pm you my no if you want a chat mate...
would highly recomend tweenierob for mapping he is a legend......

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NISFAN said:
Search button will help, this has been covered a few times before.
I did do a search, but could not find anything regarding running in a completely changed engine spec on an old map???

whoflungdung said:
I am not fully qualified but this is what I know......

Running in will be at least 500 miles pref 1000 would be better

Try to keep the revs below 2500 rpm

But dont run it at low revs in a high gear(hence 4th gear at 1000 rpm etc) this puts a strain on the engine

Also looking at what you have changed.....

You will need to have the car mapped somewhat, for running it in

The settings for the pfc are only for standard injectors etc

It will need a rough map for running in, then re-mapping once you have covered the miles

I hope this helps :thumbsup: :popcorn:
whoflungdung and beario, thanks for the help :clap: thats great

The person who built my engine gave me advice of miles to do, but didn'y know exactly what to do over those miles

And no one has ever bought up the Power FC, it was after reading Keith's running in thread, and someone asked him if he cjanged the map for running it in. Thats when I started to think

I'll have a chat to my mapper about putting a map on there for my run in I suppose

Thanks

Ade

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Running in

Did mine recently and I am using a PFC

Run in with mineral oil for couple of hundred miles. Changed to good oil and set the map conseravtively for 1 bar of boost and then off I went. Drove it relatively easy until I felt the engine and turbo's loosening.

Had a leakdown test on head and compression tests done, everything looking good. Ready to map at 1.4 bar :thumbsup:

Did read somewhere that the CAM's took the longest to run in. Apparently idling on high revs after rebuild is when everything starts to bed in. With CAM's taking around 20 mins.

Not sure how true all that is.

BTW
The turbos took the longest to get going, once they started to 'free up' job was a good un.

Kev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts