GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the running in process and mileage is for a new GTR?

With mine due soon I want to plan some nice outings to get through the initial restrained stages.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Just dont push it too hard in the beginning....thats all,do yourself a favour and dont read the manual....there is to many "dont do this,dont do that..." in it....just drive the car :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
comfort mode all the time
first 300 miles; sub 3500 rpm
then build throttle range used, whilst avoiding wragging it to the red line
1200 miles = optimisation

broadly:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hehehe, most people would say the opposite! :p
I would say the opposite! There have been lots of points raised about how the running in process may effect your warranty. I reckon the engines are pretty much bomb proof however you run in your car, however just make sure you are confident the way you run in your car has no effect on your warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not quite as simple as described but not as complex as the manual either! I am a complete petrolhead and was nicely complimented by the HPC who described my GTR as "very well run in".

My thoughts:

You are trying to run in at low, medium and then high revs during the first 1,200 miles - I did the following:

1. First 300 miles stay below 3,500 revs, no more than 60% throttle acceleration to get there.
2. 300-600 miles use 4,500 revs as the limit with no more than 70% throttle to get there and long shifting of gears (hold the gears to rev to the limit using manual).
3. 600-900 miles use 5,500 revs as the limit with no more than 80% throttle to get there and long shifting of gears (hold the gears to rev to the limit using manual).
4. 900-1200 miles use whole rev range, full throttle whenever possible and keep long shifting gears manually.
5. Use 'soft' suspension setting until optimisation service.

Hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Not quite as simple as described but not as complex as the manual either! I am a complete petrolhead and was nicely complimented by the HPC who described my GTR as "very well run in".
How can they know the difference between well run in and not well run in....they just told you bs:D

·
Registered
185 Posts

My thoughts:

You are trying to run in at low, medium and then high revs during the first 1,200 miles - I did the following:

1. First 300 miles stay below 3,500 revs, no more than 60% throttle acceleration to get there.
2. 300-600 miles use 4,500 revs as the limit with no more than 70% throttle to get there and long shifting of gears (hold the gears to rev to the limit using manual).
3. 600-900 miles use 5,500 revs as the limit with no more than 80% throttle to get there and long shifting of gears (hold the gears to rev to the limit using manual).
4. 900-1200 miles use whole rev range, full throttle whenever possible and keep long shifting gears manually.
5. Use 'soft' suspension setting until optimisation service.

Hopefully that helps.
i agree with you pal , as a qualified engineer i know new metal parts need to be bedded in and more so when there is high temperatures involved,,

·
Registered
429 Posts
How can they know the difference between well run in and not well run in....they just told you bs:D
Doesn't the car record throttle %'s and revs reached etc? Or is that just HPC myth....

// Elliott

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Doesn't the car record throttle %'s and revs reached etc? Or is that just HPC myth....

// Elliott
Yes,it does,but even this doesn´t say anything about how well the parts are worn/run in...

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
What a useful positive chap you are - so love to shoot the beeze with you sometime...not.
Thanks to guys like me you can now push your gearbox to 120 degree without beeing ripped off for an oilchange....

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Talking of which, is it true that the Mk3 car will have the tanny cooling?

Ally
All GTR´s have tranny cooling,but it doesn´t work like it should...i don´t think this will get any better with the latest 2010 models:D

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
What a useful positive chap you are - so love to shoot the beeze with you sometime...not.
What an absolute cretin!! With such a high post count it's plain to see that you have massively contributed to this forum........NOT!! If you had any idea of what you're talking about then you'd know that Alex has been instrumental in some high profile decisions made by Nissan. Please help yourself to a drink, there's a can of 'STFU' with your name written all over it. :lamer:

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I'm getting a 2010 model and they have cooling upgrades etc... Ah well see you on the 31st of may :D

See you @ Spa.....when you have to slow down with your upgraded tranny goes too hot.....:D

I dont believe that the changes make any realworld-difference,im running a diffcooler which takes of 40 degrees difftemp....+ i will ad a gearbox cooler in the next days....this will help with temps,but not a additional NACA duct + a slightly bigger pipediameter for the stock watercooling.....:bawling:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts