GTR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

About to take delivery of Black Ed. Sat Nav car on Saturday morning from HPC. Just wondering if any of the current owners could give some general advice regarding the running in (pre-optimiztion) period, over and above what the manual/technician says?
Anything you have tried/tested that helped during the 1200 miles period would be welcomed.

Obviously every owner and every car is different, just want to see if there is any common thread amongst the responses as such.

Thanks,
G.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Greetings all,

About to take delivery of Black Ed. Sat Nav car on Saturday morning from HPC. Just wondering if any of the current owners could give some general advice regarding the running in (pre-optimiztion) period, over and above what the manual/technician says?
Anything you have tried/tested that helped during the 1200 miles period would be welcomed.

Obviously every owner and every car is different, just want to see if there is any common thread amongst the responses as such.

Thanks,
G.
I'm sure you'll get the full range of advice from be careful to cane it (I did see a guy pretty much floor it out of the dealer's straight away!).

Being boring, or concerned to let the gearbox etc bed in, I followed the sheet that Iain (the GTR tech at Nobles) gave me.

I pretty much stuck to the 3500rpm limit for the first period but once this passed I just kept letting the revs go higher as every 100 miles or so passed so that by the time that I went for the optimisation I was using most of the rev range (in the low gears of course ;)).

For what it's worth the car was ok at the optimisation check.

Whatever you do I'm sure you'll love it - the main danger is your licence even in running in mode!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Im going to run my GTR in properly, or try to at least. Apparently when the GTR is built, the technicians take it round a track at full revs with the brakes on to bed in the brakes. I can't personally see how going over 3500 rpm the odd time will do more damage than this. I got in my R32n and cained it from the start and suffered absolutely no problems at all. I did however make sure the oil was up to temperature etc etc. for me, letting a car warm up, and cool down properly is more important than going over 3500 revs in the first 2k miles. My old man has modded cars all his life, bless him, mostly VWs with full turbo technics conversions on Jetta GTis and recently a monster VW transporter - mapped, turbo's, intercooler upgrade, ICE, re-trim, brakes, wheels, tyres and suspension, the lot (hes 64 and still a committed modder!!) He always maintained turbo cars should be left at idle for a few mins before switching off. Ive always followed this rule. I never hear anyone on this forum talk about engine temps and letting an engine cool down in the context of mechanical longevity.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
On my first drive, Engine and geabox oils to 70+C, then part throttle loading just out of vacuum to 4000 RPM to bed the rings in whilst being kind to the gearbox. After 300 miles full throttle with gradual roll onto the throttle in higher gears initially. By 350 miles full throttle and tuning :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts