GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Vendor
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the R 35’s I’ve seen there’s been varying rust issues, I thought I’d post a few pointers for people owning and like to keep there car in tip top shape or anybody buying a used car that might need some guidance.

Front subframes
Rear subframes
Fuel tank filler pipes
Fuel tanks themselves, usually where they have picked up stone chips
Doors below the mirrors
Rear wheel tubs at the top where shockers pass through the shell
Seams where floor and chassis panels overlap
Spring clips on fuel breather lines
Bolts on suspension and Undertrays
Undertray brackets
Exhaust brackets

These are a few areas to check whilst your cars in for a service or repair or even a pre purchase inspection.

Its not applicable to all cars but do take the time to look over as prevention is the best way forward.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Doors under mirrors should be covered by warranty, Gold Motors have always got any I send there through.

·
Vendor
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like your phrase “should be” but moving forward Gold Motors will cover the south for repairs, can anybody else post places in the midlands and north for the benefit of other forum members pls.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
OK hes never not got one through warranty for the corrosion issue under the mirror, its not rust BTW!, answer for any other area is any Nissan NHPC approved bodyshop, call your nearest Nissan NHPC and ask for the name of their approved bodyshop!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Whether its warrantied or not the cost to repair is relatively small , and correctly done no reason it should come back, ironic that the panels that dont rust on a jap car are pretty much only ones to cause problems :unsure:

·
Vendor
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might be worth posting your town or village to narrow people’s searches down. I know you do full coverage but some people like to know where exactly there car will be going.

·
Registered
173 Posts
What is it with jap cars and rust. ? It was a year ago now I sold my evo 6,was going to cost 10 -12k to do the underneath and even then they wouldn't guarantee it not coming back!! In 2 minds anyhow to sell and get a gtr,so that was the nail in the coffin. Had mine checked im feb when they took the undertrays and had stainless steel bolts fitted. Mines an 09 plate,but reported underneath is good,but surface rust on parts of rear subframe. What is the best treatment for the chassis on these cars as my evo was undersealed countless times,but it still rotted out ?

·
Registered
359 Posts
What is it with jap cars and rust. ? It was a year ago now I sold my evo 6,was going to cost 10 -12k to do the underneath and even then they wouldn't guarantee it not coming back!! In 2 minds anyhow to sell and get a gtr,so that was the nail in the coffin. Had mine checked im feb when they took the undertrays and had stainless steel bolts fitted. Mines an 09 plate,but reported underneath is good,but surface rust on parts of rear subframe. What is the best treatment for the chassis on these cars as my evo was undersealed countless times,but it still rotted out ?
It's the metal treatment they don't do in factory, when I look at my R32 GTR, I consider myself lucky for the little rust found for a car of this age and compared to some I've seen.

For yours, get someone to drop the subframe, media blast it and all the rusty parts, do a multiple layers surface treament on those parts before assembling everything back together, at least you'll be fine for many years if you plan to keep the car and guarantee yourself a good resale value compared to the rest of the market.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's the metal treatment they don't do in factory, when I look at my R32 GTR, I consider myself lucky for the little rust found for a car of this age and compared to some I've seen.

For yours, get someone to drop the subframe, media blast it and all the rusty parts, do a multiple layers surface treament on those parts before assembling everything back together, at least you'll be fine for many years if you plan to keep the car and guarantee yourself a good resale value compared to the rest of the market.
From what I can gather theres not many rusty spots,but I always keep my cars,have no intention of selling this as I love it to bits,but want the peace of mind that it wont start failing Mots without welding like the evo I had. That was a constant battle!
Thanks for the advice ,certainly be looking into in due course (y)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts