GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just been doing some cleaning of my 32GTR as im bored and cant drive it (cant afford to run it). Decided to take the carpet out just so i can have piece of mind that i know whats underneath.
Anyway, I found this on the passenger-side:

This ties in with the water that was in the jacket containing the wires to the ECU when I changed that.

Checked the other side and hidden behind a cable tray/cover, was this:

Checked the rest of the cills through observation holes and all seems ok, there is a small hole underneath the skirt beneath this mess on the drivers side though.

Does anyone think this can this be sorted? Just had a search around and read that waxoyled cars and welding usually result in a large fire, well mine has been undersealed in the past.

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
That is repairable.
Any more rot?
Quite unusual to see rot there in a 32. Usually the rear arches.

Has the windscreen been replaced?
That water is coming in from somewhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will need to tow it back out the garage and have a proper look, but there isnt much else really. I need to get underneath it and have a look at that area, though it is pretty well undersealed. Annoyingly the drivers side was re-sprayed last year and its bubbling through on the rear arch, yet the inside feels fine, not sure whats going on there.
A small patch under the paint on the passenger side rear quarter above the rear spats.

Dont know if the screen has been replaced but I did notice the rubber round the bottom had a small kink in it. Was pretty horrifying when I changed the ECU to find a small puddle in the rubber jacket. If I remember I think it was a loose joint on the rear washer jet which caused the puddle. May go for it and take the dash out just to make sure I get it all checked.

Glad its repairable though! :D

·
Registered
907 Posts
i have same problems on my 32
pffff, prooving to be a nightmare.

the rust comes form jacking the car on the standard jacking point with a normal jack, this cracks the stock welds, and lets water get in, and eats everithing away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crapppp, I have noticed it looks a bit shabby under that area as well. I noticed a hole in the cill on the drivers side, will have a look on the passenger side tomorrow. Times like this I wish my garage was alot wider and I had ramps.
How are you coping with it Simon?
Ive never trusted the standard jacking points on any of my cars (got 2 late 90s almeras as well), I always go for something solid like an axle or engine support bar, and not something "clever" like that thin strip with the notches in it.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
my old one was starting to show signs of rusting there and as said above its due to the jacking points getting stuffed.
on mine that i have now the jacking points were caved in but no rot so ive weldeded in a fairly thick steel plate with a lip and remade the sill lip, welded all together and tiger sealed, painted, and waxoiled. doesnt look great as im not a body shop blokey but i can jack the car up on the passenger or drivers footwell with no worries at all (play is welded to the sill, chassis and floor.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i checked mine when i pulled the carpets to remove the sound deading
there is a small hole on both inner sills above the jacking points also the sills were crushed from jacking i managed the straighten them out though
i was suprised as the rest of my car is in good order rust wise
i bet a lot of 32's are like this but people don't know because they don't remove the carpets.... get checking guys ..!!!

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Mine's got the rust aswell, and my sills are also bust by previous owners jacking it up there. although I'm not to worried, I removed the rust and painted it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts