GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. This is my new discs after 5 days parked up. How to stop them rusting away (apart from driving everyday!). Also I note there's a permanent inner rim of rust.

Long story. In June I drove to Le Mans from Glasgow for the 24hr race. On the way I booked in to have the Litchfield suspension fitted. While fitting suspension they told me my brake discs were rusty and two calipers not fully functioning. My car is September 2009 with 25k on original discs. No cracks or anything. Although I'd had pads changed up front 2 years ago. As I was booked on ferry and had a passenger to pick up the next day, I had to get sorted there and then before carrying on. So ended up going with what they had in stock. Now that the brake kit cost more than my first 15 years of motoring purchases combined I'd like to try and look after them. Hence asking what is a pretty stupid question.

Thanks in advance for indulging me. uploadfromtaptalk1440953767467.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
I am sorry but changing disks because of a bit of surface rust seems rather extreme.

The calipers most likely just needed taking of and greasing.

A couple of hard braking session will clear the surface rust right off, I hesitate to say it but I think you might have changed disks for no good reason.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

Okay let me try a different question.

I don't drive my car much over winter so can go weeks without driving. And I don't want these discs rusting away like my last did.. My car lives outside in Glasgow, so gets wet. Bar driving (and braking more regularly) is there anything I can do.?

I wouldn't be fussed if it was 100 quid a disc. Eg on my X5. But I'm sure you know how eye wateringly expensive these were.

·
Registered
567 Posts
You can't coat them with anything as it will ruin the brake efficiency.

All you can do really is drive it once a week/ fortnight and the brakes will self clean when used.

It's because of the material they are made from, bikes don't suffer because they have stainless steel disks fitted.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can't coat them with anything as it will ruin the brake efficiency.

All you can do really is drive it once a week/ fortnight and the brakes will self clean when used.

It's because of the material they are made from, bikes don't suffer because they have stainless steel disks fitted.
Cheers

One concern is in the centre there's a permanent ring of rust where the pads don't reach.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You can paint them. If you get paint on the swept face it just comes off when you first brake.

As said though, it's grey cast iron and it's gonna rust.

I think this is excessive worry, they're not going to rust away over a few weeks and it's perfectly normal.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Sell the car..... sounds dangerous!!...

:chuckle:

TT

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
LOL....

The poor old Rallye failed MOT on emissions the other week so need to get my finger out and sort it. Still tempted to get some throttle bodies and a DTA ECU :). Your's still going well??

TT

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL....

The poor old Rallye failed MOT on emissions the other week so need to get my finger out and sort it. Still tempted to get some throttle bodies and a DTA ECU :). Your's still going well??

TT
Just ran of MOT by a week so will find out this week!!.

Had that stupidity with the steering rack which I'm going to tackle myself soon. After I do the X5 rear pads. Then the rear beam and brake refresh.

Loving driving it now I've fitted omp boss and wheel. Just a thunking noise over speed bumps since the expert rally team worked fitted wrong steering rack. I've been promised a resolution but I'm not holding my breath.

Hope you get yours sorted without too much of a headache. Either that or you need a sympathetic tester!!

I'm fine with power....but that may change next year when I get it on knockhill a few times.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine look worse than that after I've washed it. So I take it for a 10 minute spin and job's a carrot.

But all disks do that. My Fiat 500 is just the same.
Yeah it was just the fact that my disks had rusted rather than worn out...even with 2 track days and plenty of spirited drives up north on stage 4!

With the 6 in the stable, I find myself driving it less and less, but it's bought and paid for. Hardly depreciating either. So I'm keeping it a while, especially with the new brakes! Just thought I'd ask a stupid question. In case there was an unexpected answer. Saying that if they weren't so expensive I wouldn't care and just replace them every 10k miles.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,006 Posts
Yeah it was just the fact that my disks had rusted rather than worn out...even with 2 track days and plenty of spirited drives up north on stage 4!
It's certainly nothing to worry about. It's just surface rust and it won't get more rusty if you see what I mean. If I leave mine outside in the rain I get rust spots like yours. Obviously not living in Scotland I don't have constant rain like you do :chuckle:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's certainly nothing to worry about. It's just surface rust and it won't get more rusty if you see what I mean. If I leave mine outside in the rain I get rust spots like yours. Obviously not living in Scotland I don't have constant rain like you do :chuckle:
Cheers. I never have previously. And don't with the x5 or pug 6. But the question came about with my previous disks rusting beyond use (a first for sure) and being told by Litchfields it's because of the open wheel design......

Anyways.....I guess what will be will be and I'll get back to trying to track down the rattling noise that I hear at low speeds from the central front of car which started after the brakes and suspension were fitted and my Le Mans trip.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
. Either that or you need a sympathetic tester!!
The CO level was so high the tester would need to be blind, deaf and be bereft of the ability to smell anything before it would pass...

:chuckle:

TT

1 - 20 of 37 Posts