GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with an older GTR replaced the little screws that hold the sills on? Mine pain me everytime I look under the car; they've rusted to the point where it's impossible to even tell what head they had on them. I'd really like to get them out and replace them with A4 stainless ones but I'm not sure how I'd ever remove them now. Just wondered if anyone else has managed, and if so, how?

I'd advise anyone with a newer car who doesn't like rusty screws to get them replaced ASAP!

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
You can drill out rusty screws, can get special drill bits (reverse profile) that cut into the screw head and then can be reversed out. Quite straightforward, just need a steady hand.

·
Vendor
2,336 Posts
The easiest option I see is to remove the skirt with the fitting kit still attached, should be 10mm bolts and a couple of plastic clips either end.

once there off it will be much easier to work on and review your options.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions - in the end I did it with a Dremel, carefully cutting a slit into the tops and then undoing them with a screwdriver. They were as rusty as f*ck. As I said above, I would definitely recommend owners of newer cars do this sooner rather than later. I managed to source A4 screws that seem to be a decent replacement, though the Nissan ones have a blunt end like a bolt, despite having screw-like threads?!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts