GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert my GTS to a 4WD.
Where can I find more info about what has to be done?
Has this ever been attempted by anyone before?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bad forgot to explain my situation,
I live in Seychelles and here we’ve only got 2 Skylines, A R34 V-Spec putting out about 1000BHP and a stock R32 GTS25 TypeX.
I would import a used car from Japan but can't as used cars have been banned here.
So I wanted to get the R32 and convert it as close as possible to a GTR v-spec2.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Im not funny,Im honest. If it was that easy everyone would do it
Ed's right but, He hasn't explained why its not easy. And that hasn't helped the situation at all.

The major fundelment problem your going to have to over come is the fact the R32 GTS engine mounting points will not house an engine such as an RB26 or the engine from an GTS4 as the engine mount points are in different locations.

You will need find a R32 rolling body of a GTS4 or GTR that has the correct engine mounting points. At that point (and I had a crack at this 5 or so years ago) I and took the view that you may as well look for a complete GTS4 if you cannot stretch to a GTR.

Gav

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I get a GTR or GTS4 front cut would that work??
What bout the front driveshaft?? Wouldn’t I need a floor pan from a GTR?
If this is going to be to complicated do you thing I should just stick to the RWD layout but get a RB26DETT??

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ghost i thought imports were banned between 86 and 89. Your quota system allows a limited number of imports per year - surely if this is the case you could apply for an import license or deal with Jap importer direct who's familiar with the new legislation.

Take a look here: Japanese Car Exporters 3

·
Registered
174 Posts
Don't think you should be doing it to the GTS. Keep it RWD and plant the Rb26 into it, fun car to drive. I had one before.

I guess you can do up the bodykit and stuff but keep it RWD.
I think the most important thing that you'll need is an RB25DET gearbox. I don't know how strong the Rb25DE is (I'm assuming this is what you've currently got). Everything else is fairly straightforward plug and play.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
If I get a GTR or GTS4 front cut would that work??
You could - Not entirelly best pratice, Safe or legal depending on your country modifications rules. If you want to create a decent example I wouldn't even think of cutting up the body and sticking to indifferent chassises together to make a bastardised body to suit - see reasons above for why not.

What bout the front driveshaft?? Wouldn’t I need a floor pan from a GTR?
Pretty much! or a GTS4 Floor plan as I understand it. Again perhaps other could comment

If this is going to be to complicated do you thing I should just stick to the RWD layout but get a RB26DETT??
The only problem with the above is the engine mounting points different so you will need the a GTS4 or GTR Rolling body. Obly other way around this or to source a RB26 Engine and a RB30 block and drop the RB26 head onto the RB30 as the RB30 block has the same mount points as the RB20DE or DET or what ever is in there now. BUT - This is not the spec of the Vspec2 and becuase your changing the block you lose the 4wd capability.

With all the questions that you are asking here, it is simply better to say (in my opinion - Others may differ - as I know a bit about this but certainly not everything!)

You'll save your self alot of time effort and mony if you were to source the rolling GTS4 Body or GTR Body and work up from there. Especially based on you shopping list on the other thread.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Don't think you should be doing it to the GTS. Keep it RWD and plant the Rb26 into it, fun car to drive. I had one before.

I guess you can do up the bodykit and stuff but keep it RWD.
I think the most important thing that you'll need is an RB25DET gearbox. I don't know how strong the Rb25DE is (I'm assuming this is what you've currently got). Everything else is fairly straightforward plug and play.

:cool:
yep non turbo box I dont believe will handle the power of RB26.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Z TUNE used cars are still banned for import, except for the friends of the government and the government them selves.

If I get the rolling body what will I take from it apart from my shopping list to accommodate for the RB26DETT?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Z TUNE used cars are still banned for import, except for the friends of the government and the government them selves.
Get your mates of the government to bring it in for you - LOL!
If I get the rolling body what will I take from it apart from my shopping list to accommodate for the RB26DETT?
Rolling Body is typically everything less engine + gearbox. I guess look for one that is complete as possible. But you will need to figure out what the body comes with versus the spec yuo want to acheive then source the other parts seperately.

Thats enough from me - good luck with it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks you GavGTR and eyerone else that has helped me in one way or another, I really appreciate it ohh btw unfortunately I’ve got no friends in the government:(

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
just modify what you've got. You won't be missing much with the 4WD...mine gets engaged no more than 10% of the time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts