GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been an import car lover ever since i was able to drive. i currently own a 1986 rx7 gxl w/ turbo conversion. this car has been entirely reliable, and extremely fun and fast to drive...

I was at an import tuning shop and i mentioned that i was looking to get into a better milaegae car that was just as fun to drive (i only get about 250kms on a 63 litre tank). when i told them i was looking at an imported skyline gts-tM, they all cringed.

they agree that i would enjoy driving the car, until the odd little problems that come with the skyline start to arise. like dash problems, lighting problems, idle problems and cam problems. when i asked if that could all be fixed with proper maintenance they had said probably not.

this is a very reputable company, that has done absolutely amazing work on my rx7, they have always been upfront and to the point when it comes to either agreeing to, or dispelling my ideas of what mods i wanted to do to my car. in many cases they lost money for not doing a job that i thought was neccesary but wasn't.

what im trying to say is i trust these guys, they work on skylines all the time and insist that they are mostly a headache. i know i am probably going to get a biased opinion on if i should buy the gtstm or not, all i ask is try to be objective, if the problems are not major, money consuming, car garaging problems then i think i will be okay. i just want to know from a straight forward and honest point of view exactly what i will be getting into. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ohyah and just what kind of mileage can i expect to get from the skyline with a balance of hard and city driving? the car im looking at is a 1991 gtstm w timer, blitz boost, IC mod, and blitz blowoff...

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
1st of all "skylines" are getting on abit now and like all cars there are good ones and bad ones out there.
Recently there have been quite a few dogs imported and even some of the garages on here have stopped trading the cars because they have been coming across from Japan with to many expensive problems.
However there are still plenty of well looked after ones available for sale so dont be put off just yet.
Now i know that you trust your tuner but i have never in my 4 years of ownership heard of Dash or Cam problems. Light problems ,exactly what do you mean by that, shoddy wiring or bulbs blowing because this is news to me also.
The only one that i know of and have experienced is idle problems but that was quickly repaired by me purchasing a new airflow meter.
If you want a GTSt then search long and hard and get a good one thats been in the country a while with some service history and im sure you will have lots of fun.
Just a little curious, why havent you named the garage whom you trust so well?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
ohyah and just what kind of mileage can i expect to get from the skyline with a balance of hard and city driving? the car im looking at is a 1991 gtstm w timer, blitz boost, IC mod, and blitz blowoff...
About 20ish on a run and less in town.

·
6,817 Posts
Hi mate and welcome,
theses horror stories shouldn't keep you away of buying a Skyline.
There are many bad cars out there, mostly never cared, never serviced and trashed in cold engine, ex . . . .
Look out for service history and take a standard car. I drove a 230000km GTST a while ago, a car that had been cared and serviced the howl life, it runs like vanilla ice melting on hot apple pie - smooth and sweet.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yah when i mentioned the lights i was referring to the wiring harness leading to the lights, it seems on a handful of cars there that the harness was shorted somewhere causing poor headlight continuity.

the car i am looking for is a straight import, from a reliable company here in vancouver bc, canada. they have a long history of importing worthwhile cars, and offer all documents relating to the auction details, accident history, and any other problems noted before purchase was made. i have had many friends who bought cars through them with nothing but success. although these were silvias and 300z.

the tuner shop i go to is force fed performance in langley bc. i was not trying to hide their name, i just didnt think it mattered as the majority of posters here are anywhere but the lower mainland bc.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Sorry i assumed you were in the UK.
Like i said before i`ve never heard of it. Even if there is a problem i dont think it would be to hard to replace corroided wires.
There are plenty of owners of GTSt`s on here who can help you out with any questions that you have though.

·
Registered
717 Posts
i would not believe these horror stories.

Sounds like they have worked on utter junk all there skyline tuning/repairing life.

I have owned 4 skylines and all apart from one (with big big mileage) have been totally and utterly reliable and i used them as daily drivers and all have been tuned

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
As a car owner, my background is of owning an R33 GT-R for 4 years, then replacing it with an FD3S for four years since, a move I never looked back on... A sorted RX-7 in my experience is a lot more fun to drive than a 2WD Skyline. It's just more of a sports car, if that's your thing.

The cars going into Canada are all 15 years old or over and the majority are at the end of their lives in Japan, if not anywhere else. What I mean to say is there is a LOT of rubbish out there and the problems people will experience is often due to high mileage, poor maintenance, etc.

The best advice, especially when getting an older car is seek out the lowest possible mileage example, in the best looked after condition.

This company in particular has the best quality cars in Canada: Racebred Performance - Home - They pay more for the best cars, but you can find cars there with typically 50,000 - 80,000 genuine kilometres, in top condition.

Also, may be worth waiting a little longer and getting a low mileage FD3S. Will be a better car than an HCR32 GTS-t.

Miguel.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Well said Miguel :)

I lived in Vancouver BC for over a year and a half and i know what you mean by some of the cars that are imported looking like crap, i saw rather a few 32s driving around and was shocked at their condition.

Just keep your wits with you when you are looking, and always take your time, plent of skylines are starting to come in to Canada, most of um i remember are coming in from BC and then being sold on. So take your time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey cloudlight nice too see some one from Van B.C, i live on the island myself. i own a R32 GTR so i cant say much on the GTS-t other then a friend just got 1 a couple months a go and it runs great.. Butt u never know far down the road right!!. Ill have to check out your shop and hopfuly they dont shun me for owning a skyline butt, hope too see ya on the streets with a R32 u can injoy..

·
Registered
826 Posts
Just read the thread, thought you were referring to a FD rx7 then !!!

I was gonna say going from a FD to a GTR is easy, much harder going the other way i tell you !!!

Good luck with the GTS matey good cars if you take your time and find the right one :D

·
Registered
25,652 Posts
Just read the thread, thought you were referring to a FD rx7 then !!!

I was gonna say going from a FD to a GTR is easy, much harder going the other way i tell you !!!

Good luck with the GTS matey good cars if you take your time and find the right one :D
humm thats the way i want to go GT-R to FD :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
have to admit, i have the odd prob with my headlights - they are hid's. and the problem was that i forgot to reconnect it one day! :) other than that, never any problems. runs perfect (just over 100k km's!).

fantastic car - loads of room, nice to cruise the motorways, and drive the larger back roads (imho rubbish on little country roads as it is a big car!)

·
Registered
826 Posts
humm thats the way i want to go GT-R to FD :D
If you get the right RX7 you will not be disappointed, i moved from a rx making 460bhp @ fly to Skyline GTR making 360 @ Fly and the skyline is so much easier to drive and handle, the RX was a beast in comparison and next year will be moving back to a FD with over 500bhp hopefully :flame:

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Main problem is the damn idle problem (which I have :( ), never really heard of any of the others you have mentioned.

·
Registered
25,652 Posts
If you get the right RX7 you will not be disappointed, i moved from a rx making 460bhp @ fly to Skyline GTR making 360 @ Fly and the skyline is so much easier to drive and handle, the RX was a beast in comparison and next year will be moving back to a FD with over 500bhp hopefully :flame:
i blame miguel, and the trip in his FD in Tokyo :chuckle:

i do like the GT-R though (32 all the way) FDs when well spec'd just do it for me :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts