GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it is winter time and the roads are full of salt, I wonder if you guys drive your GTR on them or the GTR is in the garage and you drive some other car on the salty roads...?
I mean, can the salt make a lot of (or any) damage to the GTR?
Or, if we just wash it after the winter, we're fine and without any problems?

Thanx

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have driven mine a few times but only to keep some charge in the battery. Its not ideal, salt and water are not good for your cars mechanicals.

Another reason for not driving it so much is grip levels are a lot lower so its not as much fun.

·
Registered
315 Posts
NO NO NO!!

My 03 plate evo 8 was driven all winter a few years ago. A year after that I had major corrosion problems. I mean the underneath of the car looked as if it was 15 years old rather than just 5.:eek:

My GT-R is stayin in the garage!!!! At the end of the day I don't think performance Jap cars do that well against the old british winters and salty roads.

Trav

·
Registered
889 Posts
All cars will rust badly if they are used on salted roads.
I have a mate who underseals cars for a living, and trust me i have seen terrible rust attacks on two years old cars. I cant imagine that the new Gtr will endure the salt any different.
If a car is properly undersealed when new and checked every two years then mutch is done, but salt is a terrible thing for cars:nervous:

Terje.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
anyone who's 35 is their daily driver & drove this terrible winter likely wont have a pretty sight down stares. Those who change exhausts soon will see for themselves

·
Registered
106 Posts
Everyday driver for me come rain, hail, snow or sun so hope the extra underseal the EDM cars get over the JDM imports helps. It's supposed to be anyone, anytime, anywhere.

EDM spec comes with a 12 year anti-corrosion warranty I think so any issues which arise should, in theory at least, be back to Nissan to resolve.

·
Registered
315 Posts
All cars will rust badly if they are used on salted roads.
I have a mate who underseals cars for a living, and trust me i have seen terrible rust attacks on two years old cars. I cant imagine that the new Gtr will endure the salt any different.
If a car is properly undersealed when new and checked every two years then mutch is done, but salt is a terrible thing for cars:nervous:

Terje.
Well that was the problem with my Evo 8..... it wasn't undersealed properly and it was a genuine UK/European ralliart model. It seemed during the SVA the outer sills had been masked of and the floor pan had been sprayed with an inch thick of under seal, it was all over the prop and everything.....:eek: Needless to say the sills were pretty bad with surface rust. Moreover the fuel filler pipe had to be re-newed as it was nearly porous with rust. Anyway, I still blame that winter for all that corrosion when it was used rain, hail, snow or shine as dwreid would say.

Get yourself a a £500 astra TDi to run about in and let it take the brunt of the winter for ye:thumbsup:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I was thinking too, but I hoped that you will say - nooo, you can drive it on salty roads, don't bother :)
I drove it on the salty road only once, and I washed it next day as good as I could underneath, so I hope I'll be fine with rust :)
Thanx!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
anti corrosion warranty

Cars these days have long anti corrosion warranties i'm sure Nissan is no different - the cars there to be driven if it rusts in a couple of years it's the manufacturers problem not mine

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's a car guys, don't wrap it in cotton wool just get out there and drive it.

Inspections will identify any potential corrosion issues that will then be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's a car guys, don't wrap it in cotton wool just get out there and drive it.

Inspections will identify any potential corrosion issues that will then be covered under warranty.
+1

Exactly, its a car thats there to be used and enjoyed - I've never seen the point in spending £60k on a car and then tucking it up in bed over the winter for months at a time :chuckle:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with saying -it's a car-, but I would just feel very bad while driving it and knowing that the salt is getting all over it...dunno, it's my psychology, maybe I should visit a doctor :D

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I drive it every day I can no matter the weather. Was out today in Aberdeen in heavy Snow .great fun:flame:. I am of the opinion that the beast is for driving and is good for all weather.

FFS it's got heated seats:chuckle: Rear demist is shit:(

·
Registered
535 Posts
Drive my Baby in all weathers including all the Snow weve had recently, Great fun it was like driving a Lowered + Lowered Off Roader, had loads of grip :bowdown1: As said before its got a warranty and anyway I dont look underneath :chuckle: I only look at the bits I polish :thumbsup:

Its a Car ....Not an Ornament :chuckle:

CJ

·
Registered
889 Posts
I agree that it is just a car. A complex and expensive car i would add.
But frankly i dont understand why people dont spend some extra £ on a proper undersealing when they are planning on using the car all year round.
I will bump this thread back in a couple of years when rust issues has become a huge problem on non undersealed cars.
Just a friendly advice to people who are planning to buy a seconhand car.
Get the car up on a ramp and take a good look on the underside of the car.
Buying a car that is red as a fox on the underside is a really bad idea, no matter how low the asking price is.

Terje.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I got a pressure washer attachment for underneath the car - I blast all the panels and most of the mechanical stuff if well protected with under trays and stuff - It's my daily driver so I drive it everyday - I cannot spend the best part of 60K on a car and leave it in the garage. It is like buying a nice watch and then only wearing it for special occasions, if it is that nice then wear it everyday (unless you are very rich and have more than one posh watch/fast car)

Kp

1 - 20 of 27 Posts